The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fearson's box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Does anyone have this? Does it look as good as it does on video?

Ichazod
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Good question Ichazod, I'm curious myself.

Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
I have built one for myself and the effect is awsome in nearly close-up condition. After doing some close-up magic you introduce the Fearson’s Box and the effect is tremendous on the people watching you. Give it a try. My advice is, don’t use it as a stand alone effect. The effect is stronger after doing some close-up magic as they do not suspect an illusion in the nearly close-up condition. Have fun with it!

Andre Le Magicien

Smile
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks Andre',we appreciate your input. Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Andre,

I'm guessing angles are critical and this would not work in a parlor type setting.

Tom
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
Hi Tom,

You’re right for the angles but the distance from the spectators is also important but not as much critical. The corner of any room is perfect for the presentation and the angles limitation. I really enjoy the reaction of those people watching me doing this surprising effect. Steve Fearson is the King of the self levitation. It’s my opinion...do you agree?

Excuse me for the delay to answer.

Andre Le Magicien

Excuse my french! Smile
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4069 Posts

I just got the plans for the box, very clever! I will be building it shortly.

Thanx for the input everybody!

Thanx,

Ichazod

All the worlds a stage,

And the men & women merely players;

They have their exits

and their entrances,

And one man in his time

plays many parts.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4069 Posts

I made my box today, pretty darn awesome!

It took me about a half an hour to make & cost me about $7.00, you can’t beat that.

Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

All the world's a stage,

And the men & women merely players;

They have their exits

and their entrances,

And one man in his time

plays many parts.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I too own Fearsons Box, awesome little effect, and very cheap to make mine only cost $5.00. I beat you by 2 bucks Ichazod Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Okay Ichazod, you best be bringing that sucker by Thursday for the meeting of the "Secret Three". Smile Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
If I am not mistaken “Fearson’s Box” costs $100.00 to buy (secret, etc.). Then you add the $10.00, more or less, for the materials to build it. But for living room levitation it is an OK expense. Clearly this is better than the Balducci levitation as it controls the angle problem better. Also it is several hundred dollars cheaper than the chair suspension, or a Princess Magic Carpet (Super-X) type suspension. Best of all, you get to “float” yourself, no need to use a spectator.

While I have never seen this performed, it does read well and it seems like it could be played either straight or with comedy.

I have seen Steve do his other “Floatation” (both legs up floating behind and above a coat or drape). Frankly, I could never see myself performing that version.

I am happy to hear that you all are pleased with the outcome of your building it. How does it play in the real world? I would like to know what venue’s you are using it in. How many times you have performed it so far. What did you discover to be the angle problems inherent to that venue (and how you managed them)? And, most important, what reaction are you getting? I am looking for an honest evaluation (pro’s and con’s) here.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Dead Ranger
View Profile
New user
Biloxi, Mississippi
45 Posts

Profile of The Dead Ranger
Quote:
On 2001-11-07 04:19, mumblepeas wrote:

If I am not mistaken “Fearson’s Box” costs $100.00 to buy (secret, etc.).

Actually, you can get the plans from his website for $25.

Quote:
I am happy to hear that you all are pleased with the outcome of your building it. How does it play in the real world? I would like to know what venue’s you are using it in. How many times you have performed it so far. What did you discover to be the angle problems inherent to that venue (and how you managed them)? And, most important, what reaction are you getting? I am looking for an honest evaluation (pro’s and con’s) here.

I couldn’t have said it better myself..... I almost posted this very same question a night or two ago wondering the exact same things. I saw the video online and figured out the effect immediately, then wondered how it played in the "real world".

I, too, would love to hear some anacdotal info.....

Smile

Yer Ol’ Pal - The Dead Ranger
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, you can get it even cheaper than that. He's got these on eBay. I got one for under $15. Already had the milk crate, and got the "other" thing for free from a friend in the "other" business.

To answer your question, it plays great! My wife loved just playing with it in front of a mirror, and she is VERY jaded. Haven't used it in a formal show yet, but I've done it for visitors to my home, and it's received a TREMENDOUS reaction. Much better than leviatations I own that cost hundreds of dollars. My only fear is that, at this low price, lots of people will be doing it, many very badly, and expose it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey $25.00 or Less!!! Now that is a real bargain! I agree with Scott that at this price, it may flood the market. I have wasted more on real junk and from what I am hearing this is not junk. I guess I will have to jump in and buy and build it. Still looking for information from those of you that actually performed it for a real (what ever that is!) audience.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I'm in the same boat as Scott, I've only showed my finacee, and friends/family that have come on over to the house. But each time I got a great reaction.
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Wow, I can’t believe it! Based on your postings, I went to Fearson’s web site and watched the video clip of the box! I laughed myself right off the chair! This is pure genius! And it is so simple! Oh the pain!

I have an old head chest that uses the same principle to show the head gone and a hand waving behind the chest. Of course I also have a mirror box production that I could rip the side off! THIS IS GREAT!

I immediately went to my workshop and cut up a milk crate (have several to store “stuff” in). I don’t have the gimmick (and I know that I won’t find one for $7.00 or even for $20). So I cut a piece of foam board to simulate the gimmick. The foam board has a silver surface. Not good (and clearly not good enough to do this for anyone) but good enough to play with. I have been having a ball watching myself perform this gem.

I don’t know what the instructions say, but I am already thinking about a second gimmick that hides the modus lift-us a bit. I am also trying a second gimmick to increase the box-on-the-floor lift. I cannot tell you how much fun I am having playing with this novel idea. Of course maybe Steve addresses these ideas in his download instructions!

I will have to spend the $25.00 to get the download from Steve. I cannot ethically perform this in public without giving him his due. I will not perform it for anyone before I buy the rights as it is his intellectual property).

I am so jealous of him! I have known this principle for years and why didn’t I think of this application! Because I am stupid that’s why!

Hey thanks for putting me on to this effect. I believe that it will play well. It is clearly worth the money in this case.

I still want to hear some real world performance stories. Someone has to be performing this somewhere!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Mumble-

Check for it on eBay. It's sold directly from Steve and using the "Buy it Now" feature, you can get it for $14.99 with no shipping costs!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Ichazod brought the model he built to my place Thursday, and we all played around with it for a while.

Pretty cool, though Ichazod had some trouble (big feet), and will probably have to build a larger model. That's okay though, Steve Landavazo left with the apparatus in hand from a trade.

We had fun coming up with different idea's to improve on the operation, but all in all, For a few bucks you really can't go wrong.

Fun stuff say's I. Smile Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Everyone!

Lots of great posts regarding this trick! I just want to say, "I Love It!".

Fearson's Box is so unique and different, because it looks so ordinary and, "normal!" Steve, Ichazod, Mya and myself were having fun with it, and were laughing at the effect it generated!

The day I brought it home my six year old son was doing it and amazing his grandma and grandpa with it!

I generally don't get too excited about effects these days! This one got me though, and I think adding it to your arsenal is a definite plus! Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
Can anyone paleeeeeeeeeeze give me the Stever Fearson web page so that I may get my hands on this box.

On another note as I was leaving my gig last nite (Hollywood Mirage..check listings in Magicmagazine...whos where...name dropper that I am) I was asked to do just one more by a group of wee girls.

Did the Balducci levitation and it went down well.Then came the cry...do it again...sorry came the answer. Can't do the same thing twice in 5 minutes...risque yes, but only the adults got it...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fearson's box (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL