The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fearson's box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Vernon,

here ya go:

http://www.downloadmagic.com/

Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
Cheers Steve, thanks for the info Have now looked at it and will get the plans and figure out how to use it possibly at one of my regular venues...vernon Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
OK, OK, so I built his little goodie without buying the plans. Honestly folks, it was just too obvious a concept and much too cheap to build to put off making it. However, I did as advised here and tried eBay where I managed to get a set of the plans from Steve for only $15.00!!!

Now I can honestly (and ethically) perform it. Frankly, I had added a couple of “things” when building it that Steve’s plan doesn’t address and which may (I stress MAY) make the illusion more effective.

I am planning to work it into a couple of Holiday shows that I have been booked to perform. Whether or not it gets included depends on several variables (how it fits in the structure of my show being the main one). I hate doing an “add-on” effect in any show, but since I am at the rehearsal stage, maybe it could be included. Perhaps I will be able to give actual performance feedback soon.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
OK, OK, first outing in real world conditions of the famous Fearson’s Box, as built (and modified) by your humble servant Mumblepeas, was a success!

I was hired to perform for a local shopping mall the last evening. It was a “street” like venue. It was a stand-up, low platform show.

I have made a couple of modifications to the box to hide what needs to be hidden as the box is brought out and as I first get into it. I also have used a slight modification using some small lights surrounding the box but sitting on the platform to help conceal the method when the box itself floats (sort of a black art principle, dazzle the eyes and make them look up at the box not under it).

The response for the first levitation was a gasp of ahhhhh! From the audience of about 100 mixed adults and kids (of all ages). The response for the full box levitation was some gasps, some “no way” ‘s and a lot of laughter. When I jumped from the box and took my bow I got a good round of applause.

So, first report of real audience response is good. I will probably make some small changes to my presentation after a few performances and I get the feel for what is working best with it.

Thanks again Steve!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
Fearson’s site is

http://www.downloadmagic.com

there are also some other neat tricks for cheap and even free.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
Sorry about the previous post I didn't notice the second page ’til after I clicked submit. Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I bought the plans, then converted the illusion so that I walk on with a folded flat cardboard box, open it up, float up to 16" off the ground without tiptoeing

then fold it flat and walk off with it to finnish Smile

phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
No offense guys, but I think the web address for the thing has been posted three or four times now, just in this thread (and once or twice in another one somewhere). If folks haven't figure it out by now, they never will!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I saw someone say that someone else had big feet and subsequently a problem with the Milk Carton.

I built mine with a fake milk carton filing box from a discount store, (they carry them at Office Max, etc, too.) but it is bigger than a Milk Carton with about the same other characteristics.

So Ichazod, for your feet (and mine) - there is a bigger box available, and it masquerades nicely as an ordinary flying Milk Carton.

And another thought, since I have a tendency to break things, I don't use anything that could break like something made of glass.

My unit is all Plastic, if you get my drift.

A side effect is that it is lighter, and therefore allows me more height on the levitation (Well, not really - but it is lighter too. And that seems good...) Smile

BroDavid

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Lee Alex
View Profile
New user
Istanbul, Turkey, England
11 Posts

Profile of Lee Alex
This looks like it is becoming a toy rather than an effect, and it is a great shame that something like this coming from one of the best minds around today is in danger of being cheaply ruined and exposed and flooding the market etc.

Maybe Fearson does not care for this number himself so why he let it go, unlike the Laser which he sold the rights to Copperfield.

Whilst on the subject of cheap leviatations, I can't believe there are dealers still trying to sell the balduccini video! Smile
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
146 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Ohh I see it.

The diagonal bar on to which the controls are attached. Of course..

Feel a bit proud that I worked it out myself.

Great and smart effect though. Kudos and Congrats to Fearson!

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Talk about resurrecting an old topic... It was worth it, though- I just bought this off his downloads page, so I've got the performance rights. It's kind of sad- I spent a bunch of time and money putting my workshop together to build illusions, and now I'm building illusions out of common 'junk', and they're twice as effective as any of the big boxes- because they're made out of 'junk'.

Oh well, at least I can still build furniture.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
Its a great effect that I purchased a few years ago. Unfortunately, I have seen it revealed before on one website which had something like 6,000+ views before it was finally taken down.

The principle behind Fearson's box is also revealed in a 2001 Genii issue entitled "One-Man Self Leviation." If you do some research, I am sure you can find it.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
You can also find it in many optical illusion books/websites and other science books with that topic in it. They specifically call it a levitation optical illusion. Been around a long time.
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 19:03, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
You can also find it in many optical illusion books/websites and other science books with that topic in it. They specifically call it a levitation optical illusion. Been around a long time.

huh? where?

I guess we all missed it.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Hello fellows

I would like to buy one milk square crate.
Do you know an address to buy on line for overseas clients???

Thank you
JIS
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-02-14 23:23, Magic Spank wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 19:03, mrbilldentertainer wrote:

huh? where?

I guess we all missed it.

I guess so! LOL I don't want to tip the method although as I said it's been shown way before Fearson used it. If you know the method, the optical illusion method just shows the use of the ****** (a large one) with a person stradling it and lifting one leg. Fearson saw the potential, made it smaller, and hid the ****** by placing it in a milk crate and creating a little reason for doing it. Which he did very well by the way. I have a book somewhere in storage (it's from the 80's). I'll try to find it.
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
231 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Anyone STILL using this--or has the "secret" become too commonly known at this point? If you're still using it, what are the reactions? Are they still strong?
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Wow talk about an old topic, I remember buying this when it first come out and the Fearson floatation as well, mind you ones full of saw dust and the others hanging in my closet with all my show costumes.
mralincoln I don't believe the secrets been overly exsposed and exspecially to kids. I used to use mine at kids partys and it played really well exspecially due to the fact that the kids are usally sitting on the floor. its fun to play around with.
Now thanks to EsnRedshirt comment about the furniture he gave me an idea to take this to the next level and add something to my house just for when friends come over any ideas what we might be able to use that looks normal among your furniture.... ummm how about a magazine rack.... umm now got me thinking... anyone else!!!!!!
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fearson's box (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL