The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need advise - Performing for Sick Kids Hospital (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Hi All,

I got an email from a friend of mine that found out that I do magic. She is a nurse at a Sick Kids Hospital here in Toronto. She asked if I would be interested in going in and performing for the kids in her ward. I feel that it would be a great opportunity for me to bring smiles to the kids there during this holiday season. I still haven't received all the details or confirmation yet but I feel that I need to ask you guys for advise because I don't usually perform for kids and need time to prepare. The following is what I know that might be suitable for kids... suggestions is greatly appreciated.

- sponge ball routine(I usually do John Carney's but I'm not sure if this will go over well, maybe you guys can recommend another?)
- Cardtoon
- Stoplight Cards
- Rabbit in Hat puppet routine with cards (I might get a set of alphabet cards to substitute)
- ESP card routines
- Small Hippity Hop Rabbits

I mostly perform card magic/ and a bit of mentalism but I don’t know if it will be suitable for the kids or if the hospital will like it. Thank you guys in advance for your help and suggestions.

Jimmy
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
What a great thing to do for them. I would suggest learing a basic cut and restored rope.aint no mo is a great routine by carl andrews, maybe take a tt and silk. enjoy yourself and just have fun with the kids
mrj
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
68 Posts

Profile of mrj
Jimmy:

If you check out Bill Abbott's Close Up for Kids DVD he talks about the staff at Sick Kids in Toronto frowning on his sponge balls. They said they were a breeding ground for bacteria. Just a thought.
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Mrj,

That's what I thought too. I'm also thinking of getting Once Upon A Time by Guy Hollingworth since I think I have the card handling skills to perform it well... stories always go over well with kids too. Thanks for the info!
Zeusranger
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Zeusranger
What about a simple basic levitation. It would be great I think. If you need more info about it...post me back

:)

Zeus
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Don't have anything that the kids touch, don't want kid A to give kid B a germ. The rope routine is very good, most what you have it good. The levitation I take it refers to a Balducci. If kids are sitting or in a bed the angles might be a problem, I wouldn't advise that at all. Is it really called Sick Kids Hospital?
Steve V
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2123 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
In my experience, using sponge magic in a hospital is a no-no. Too attractive to germs.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Need advise - Performing for Sick Kids Hospital (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL