The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash Paper Warnings Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SuperMagicMozart
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SuperMagicMozart
I've been thinking about adding some flash paper to my routine, but I am completely unfamiliar with it. If I have a piece on my hand, and I light it on fire, will my hand burn (I'll get the dunce hat, don't worry)? How hot does it burn? Do I have to worry about rushing my hand away if I do light something on fire?

Is anyone familiar with Gregory Wilson's Molotav Coctail (I believe that's the name) - his flash vanish of an ice cube? How safe is this? Things to note?

Other tips?

Thanks.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I have never had an issue of flash paper burning me. I have had it burn completly in my hand and in my fist. I have also had it in my face. We use it all the time for fire balls in wrestling. I don't see there being any issue. However, If you are going to use it in shows, Make sure its ok first.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I have never had a problem with it either. Just make sure you are careful and use common sense. It is fire, it WILL burn. It will burn your hand, some thumb tips, and even fabric (I tried, it wasnt pretty). Just after you burn it, throw it in the air. And always be careful. But don't worry, it is pretty safe. Ive had my 9 year old brother burn it.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
As you hold the flash paper with your thumb and pointer finger and then light the opposite end, you can hold it until it burns pretty close to your thumb and pointer finger before tossing it into the air. If you toss it into the air too soon, the flash paper will fall to the ground and burn on the floor. That should give you some indication of the burn time. This is if you are using the normal size flash paper for effects.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Also there are varieties of flash paper> some burn fast, some slower.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I use the pads. They are samll, but a lot cheaper.
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
I use flash paper a lot and one time I had it land on the floor before it was out and it just sat and burned and then went out and left nothing behide(no burn on the floor) which shocked me. Later again I tried this at home and it burned my floor. So even though something may work once it may not work again.

Lucas
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes. don't try any dumb experiments. I tried to make a fire wallet, lit the paper, and it burned the plastic in the credit card holders, and the fabric. By the way, Ive been looking for a fire wallet. Does anyone know where I can get a good quality, cheap, card to fire wallet? And while we are on the subject, does anyone know where I can get a fire cards gimmick? I heard they don't sell them anymore.
Pinto2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Pinto2
Morrisseymagic.com has tons of fire stuff. Good quality too.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Be careful with that stuff.

After the rock band burned down the house, fire marshalls frown whenever anybody mentions it. Check the fire codes (the law) in your area before you go throwing it around.

And if you do throw it around...throw it down...it's a lot safer that way. If you have to throw it up, do everyone a favor and look up first before you throw it to see exactly what is up there. Any cobwebs? Any peeling paint? Dust? Guess what...that stuff burns, too.

Flash paper won't burn your skin. You'll feel the heat like you pass your finger through a candle flame. It will burn the hair off your arms and hands and anywhere else you've got hair growing.

Flash bills have an ink that doesn't always burn completely. It could leave black sooty remains that float through the air and look like bleh. These sooty remains sometimes smolder, too.

Like I said, pal...be careful with that stuff.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
The magic man
Flash paper has great effects out from it. But remember safety and how to store it when you are not doing a show. Flash paper is very unstable. Keep it in good fire proof container stored in a safe place.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
This is the actual warning statement from a flash paper -Warning! Flash Pads use fire and are inherently dangerous. They are designed and sold to be used by professional adult entertainers. These items are not to be sold to or used by minors. Please read and follow all accompanying instructions before using Flash Pads or any other Fire Magic items.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I always burn flash paper without tossing it..but I'm quite experience with fire..those who are not comfirtable with it should reject this matter immediately..flash paper to my mind is harmless but it is fire and fire burns..i used to work with more dangerous kind of fire so flash paper is nothing.but being experimenting with fire had only thought me to be more careful with it..one more advice..DO NOT TRY TO MAKE YOUR OWN FLASH PAPER..many props are cheaper if it is self made and many people preffer to make their own gimmicks but flash paper is not one of them..i have heard of serious injuries taken place by those who tried..i don't even wanna mention the substance of flash paper....
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I use flash cotton and even then I never hold it in my hand, I have a flint striker for that. I only use it once in my show, right at the start.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I've burned my hand with flash paper before. Not a bad burn. Just singed the hair and gave me a little red patch. It happened while performing the floating rose and I think it got a little damp in my pocket from sweat.

The stuff burns really fast though so if you use it correctly it's not that dangerous if it's just in your hand and you don't use to much. I'd suggest you pick some up and get familiar with it. Light a little piece and toss it in the air (Away from people of course). Then experiment and get to know it.

When I was about 12 years old I was at my grand parents cottage. There's no electricity there and everything works on gas. My grand mother let me help her light the oven. Little did we know the knob on the oven was broken and gas had been building up for who knows how long. I ended up with my face inside a ball of fire. Burned all my hair off my face and I had a big blister on the tip of my nose. I looked like a clown.. lol I was lucky not to get any 3rd degree burns.

I'm only sharing that to say that because of this incident I have a bit of a fire phobia. So I'm obviously very careful when working with fire. Becoming familiar with how it works helped me get past that and I'm sure it would be a good idea for everyone to get to know it before using it in a show. For your safety and your spectators.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash Paper Warnings Please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL