The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best working cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
So what are the best ones for everyday use; Cellini, Gazzo, Phoenix, Bertram(haha)? Right now I'm using my Cellini cups but have been considering switching to Gazzo's. Just wondering what most of you guys are using.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
It depends on your situation, performing style, and general preferences. All of the cups you've listed are quality cups, but as many will probably agree, an effective presentation can be made with paper cups.

I will also add that I understand that you asked about everyday use, and though this is the side walk shuffle, there is still a great difference in the cups for different kinds of use, depending on where you shuffle on the sidewalk.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Use gazzos if you need 3 on top, or need to load a baseball or larger load, or really like the non-wobbly stack.

If you like to tip your cups back with the wand, the cellini cups are superior to all other cups of that size. I miss that feature in my animal cups. the cellini cups also taper and a load and be squished into the top like a chopped load.

cellini's are also easy to grip becuase of the tapered sides. Actually, I miss that too.

Cellini cups do NOT roll 180 or 270 degrees when tipping the cups back. That is a nice feature. Cellini's will give you 90 degrees. That's it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Frank,

do the cellini's not allow for a stack of three on the top then?

I personally use Gazzo cups and find them great - they take large oranges as the final loads and are a nice hefty cup.

Kindest Regards

DAK
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

The tippy top of the cellini cup won't hold 3 balls. Nope.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I have been playing with my new Cellini cups and they do handle well.
They do tack a baseball. They are a solid cup that will make a good street cup.
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Correct.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

If yours take a baseball, you're lucky. Mine did not.

Frank
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
As stated above, mine also take a baseball,, try mouses balls instead!

Ken.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hay Kondini
Still want to get together for a pint?
Mario
PS Frank are you sure they are Cellini cups even Bill Palmer said they will take a base ball?
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I just ude a 40 dollar pair of cups. They are copper. I got them at http://www.browsersden.com I love them! I also got a magicians wand to go with them too!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Well, I guess I should have said that they barely took a baseball. The ball would often get stuck inside. Maybe it was the weather.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Yeah I've been using cellini cups for about 2 years now and tend to swear by them, but I was just thinking if it was worth losing the advantages of cellini cups to be able to load a bigger...well....load I guess. Somedays they'll take base balls and somedays they won't oddly enough. One thing I've noticed though is to pay attention to the stitching in the baseball. They will take a baseball with the stitches positioned one way but not another.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, this is a question that has been done to death, but I'll answer part of it.

Busking requires cups that are built like tanks. They don't necessarily have to be huge, but they should be sturdy. You also don't necessarily need the three on top feature. There are lots of routines that do not require it.

Gazzos, Animals, Babes will all take a baseball very consistently. The Cellini Cups are iffy. Baseballs will swell a little with increased humidity, which can make them stick.

The Phoenix cups are sturdy, but won't take anything bigger than a tennis ball.

OTOH, the small top of the Cellini cups shows off a ball well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 22:01, Bill Palmer wrote:
Busking requires cups that are built like tanks. They don't necessarily have to be huge, but they should be sturdy. You also don't necessarily need the three on top feature. There are lots of routines that do not require it.

Bill I could not agree with this statement more.
The first set of cups I used were Bazaar Cups they can take a tennis ball. These I found to be a good cheap alternative thin but can just survive the streets.
Then I went to the Gazzo cups while I was producing orenges, I must admit I soon got board buying fruit.
I then bought Gary Animal Cups and started to produce Base Balls this is a very nice cup. Going from one extreme to the other I then bought a set of Gary's Golf cups my routeen won me the Fellowship of Christian Magicians UK Close up 2005 (Mind you these are not a street cup).
Now I am using Ceellini cup, their is something pure and sexy about these cups.
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
I've been considering going to the cellini's - my current routine does have a three on top phase however that can easily be adapted -
I like being able to use an orange as final load - in fact I'd say it has to be an orange - Mario out of interest baseballs in the UK seems an odd choice to me - care to say why you went for them and if there has been a change in reaction to balls over fruit?? (either here or via pm).
Pete Wardell in his Crowdpuller DVD says that he found the cellini cups didn't stand up to the rigors of the street - which seems odd.
I think the cellini cups look elegant - however I love my gazzo cups - decisions decisions!!!

Kindest Regards

DAK
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Good qwestion, simple answer they matched my small base balls at the time.
What he must have done to his Cellini cups is no ones bussiness.
Mario
PS What did you think of Peters DVD?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I just got CrowdPuller in the mail yesterday. Was up at 3AM this morning watching the 2nd DVD. It is a real WINNER! Worth far more that I paid for it.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Thanks for your response Mario

I've pm'd you

let's keep this thread on topic!!

DAK
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Just to add to the possible choices, Jim Riser is planning on releasing a set of Street Cups some time in the New Year. As with all of Jim's work, these are guaranteed to be first-rate cups.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best working cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL