The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request: Gone DVD by Ryan Lowe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SmoothAM
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of SmoothAM
I found this effect on the Hocus Pocus site. Sounds interesting. Anyone have it that can give a review?

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Very interested myself
Don
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
No One yet?
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Guess I'm going to have to get it and see..
Don
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
I bought it, I should have it by the end of the week. I will post a review next week.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
Looks for me like, Now You C it - Now you don´t!

Or not.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Hocus Pocus has a video of it up now. Looks like it includes a bunch of very nice vanishes!
shoosh018
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of shoosh018
Ditto Marc!
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Do you guys think there is a gimmick or is it sleight of hand? Because they talk about assisted coin vanishes.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Probably a mixture of both but I tend to lead to the Now U C It, Now You don't gimmick and the killer move by Jeff Stewart written in a book by Meir Yedid. The gimmick actually dates back even farther than that. THis is what it seems to me, I may be way wrong.

Gone might be some new techniques and handlings.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
I love Now U C It, but I do not use it often. One can let coins disappear also in such a way. Greg Wilsons pitch and ditch, is ingenious. I have the RAVEN, but I cannot work thereby. The same applies to the BAT.

And Now U C It is very easy to do!

- So, what is GONE?
If it not Now U C It!
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Reading over the ad copy again for the dvd , "He has taken something in magic that is long considered to be old and stale and turned it on its head. What effect has he turned on its head? The assisted coin vanish, that's what!

The Now You C It Now You don't gimmick is old and stale meaning not many people use it anymore or have used it. So I figure this is it.

I'll think I will pass on this and stick with what I already have.
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of 1064857
Just watched the video on JBTV site - interesting demo. Looking forward to seeing a reiver
Kelvin W Sherlock
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Kelvin W Sherlock
Hi.

I've watched the DVD, but I haven't tried performing it in public.

"If you're a fan of 'Melt', you'll absolutely love 'GONE'." - Eric James, President, Expert Magic, LLC

The setup between the 2 is very similar, but the handling and effects performed are different.

The studio explanations are excellent, easy to learn from, and easy to follow along with. It was filmed with 1 camera, but Ryan Lowe shows the spectator as well as performer view during the explanations.
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Ah, so there is a gimmick involved?
Kelvin W Sherlock
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Kelvin W Sherlock
One (or two, for some effects) gimmicks are used.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
It is NOW U C IT. Just the same as MELT.
It comes even from the same company.
And it is genuinly an insolence,
to publish the same product under two names.
I am so sour and angry.
Now U C IT, is 20 years old, and a marvelous thing.
And I recommend it to everyone.

And GONE should be gone.

Well at least the DVD is well produced.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Hehe keep in mind Now U C It wasn't necessairly all that new either when it came out, gimmicks of that nature along with the handling goes back decades, just read the back of the book for Now U C It.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I just recieved this today, haven't watched it yet, but will post a short review later on.

The first thing I noticed is that this is actually put out by Expert Magic. Which was a surprise to me up until now. It looks like Eric James isn't even promoting this on his website, probably due to the poor view of his company.

Short review coming in the next day or 3
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
OK, just got done watching this.

I don't own Melt or Now U C It, but I like the idea of this gimmick. I couldn't tell you if it's the same as the 2 already mentioned, but apparently it's either spot on or darn close. To me it looks like the Raven but without sleeves or any magnets, a reverse Melt effect would be the perfect description. Either way, the vanish looks GREAT!

The effects and explanations are pretty short and when he did the "Routine" I thought he was joking! It took less than 7 seconds, and when I hear the word routine I want to see something that makes some sense. Not just a here it is, now it's gone, goodbye...type of deal.

The gimmick is easy to make, just be sure that you have plenty of invisible thread. I'm not to into thread, but this has got me thinking on some possible non-gimmicked solutions to this effect.

The visualness of this is nice. He goes over showing the front and back of your hand after the vanish which is a really nice touch and takes this to the next level. Your left dirty....REAL DIRTY, unless you do the "Routine" but I wouldn't call it that.

$20 plus for this is really expensive for what you get. An introduction to something that apparently has been around for a while, some short effects and explanations, and than the final whack in the face. Actually it's like someone farting in the room your watching this in. At the very end the credits roll, and guess what? It's Expert Magic THIS...And Expert Magic THAT...Then they even flash you the Expert Magic logo so that you remember who made this DvD...just in case you forgot. Eric James is in the credits...of course, however in all of the ads for this DvD, I only saw that Eric James said something about it. I didn't know he produced it.

Overall this is a great effect and this Lowe kid did a good job. The DvD is overpriced for what you get and Expert Magic snuck in a low blow.

So I learned a really good lesson. Never EVER buy anything that has the words "Expert Magic" or "Eric James" on it Smile

Ratings:

Effect: 10/10
Practicality: 5/10
Price: 2/10

Overall: 7/10 (Cause the effect does look good)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review Request: Gone DVD by Ryan Lowe (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL