The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cockatoo Kids Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Travis Baccene
View Profile
New user
S.C
4 Posts

Profile of Travis Baccene
I have a 1/2 year old cockatoo named Casper. I would like to incorporate him into my kids show. What is a good trick I could do with him?
thanks guys
trav
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
They can be taught to pick a cup or card. (It always has to be in the same place or be marked.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I used my Umbrella Cockatoo in my kids show for about 6 years. I just produced him out of a Chalet Balloon to Rabbit minus the balloon. Cockatoos tend to become moody when they hit about 7 years old (this is the time in there life that they are mature enough to mate. I actually eneded up selling my cockatoo because of this. I just couldn't trust him around people. It is a shame because he was a big loss to my manip act as well. Just some food for thought, by the way, before you use your cockatoo be sure that your liability insurance is up to date just in case. A cockatoo can apply over 2000 pounds of preasure per square inch with it's beak.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
I find your post to be heartbreaking and sadly common.
Your only loss is your manip act and an effect in the kids’ show you perform. What about the cockatoos needs?

You show only selfish interest in a living-breathing creature. Once it usefulness as a money making prop is over you discard it.
I hope in the future you learn to show more compassion and dedication to any animals that may end up as your “Pets”

To future magicians, please research these emotional animals before you get them. A parrot can be an 80-year commitment. Do not get one if you are not dedicated to go the entire way as both master and friend.
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
261 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
My Cockatoo is 9 years old and still a major part of my show. I believe that Matthew's dealings should not be the stereotype for all Cockatoo's. My bird is very well adjusted and can be trusted around others without fear of a 2000 pound of pressure bite.

I think that they are all individuals and a lot has to do with how much they are exposed to the public. Cockatoo's will make a great addition to any magic act and give you a life long pet that will remain loyal if you give them pleanty of love. Look at The Hammners, Brett Daniels, and Joseph Gabriel as examples of owners of older Cockatoo's that are great show birds as well as pets.

Please don't let this discurage you from using a parrot in your show. You will have to understand though that it is a real investment of your time. But if you are willing to put in the time the benefits will be great.

I sell a Cockatoo from Sketch Pad, alla Kevin James' Bowlaram if you are looking for a hip and deceptive way to open with your bird. It's expensive but well worth it if you are making money from your magic. If you are interested private message me and I can tell you more.

Puck
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Quote:
On 2005-12-14 18:33, SnakeBabe wrote:
I find your post to be heartbreaking and sadly common.
Your only loss is your manip act and an effect in the kids’ show you perform. What about the cockatoos needs?

You show only selfish interest in a living-breathing creature. Once it usefulness as a money making prop is over you discard it.
I hope in the future you learn to show more compassion and dedication to any animals that may end up as your “Pets”

To future magicians, please research these emotional animals before you get them. A parrot can be an 80-year commitment. Do not get one if you are not dedicated to go the entire way as both master and friend.

My umbrella was a member of my family for 9 years. My dad always said that he ate better and was treated better than him. He was hand raised to be a magic bird and was a large portion of my manip act for 9 years. 6 of those years he was part of my kids show. I apologize that it came out the way that it did, but he got almost constant attention and still became very moody and started to bite even me. I agree with PUCK that all animals have different personalities and I apologize for unknowingly setting a stereotype. I loved my cockatoo and I was heartbroken when I had to sell him to a breeder (but now he gets to mate as much as he wants). I am sorry that my post didn't convey my emotion. Regardless of what you think my animals are treated like family members. My hand raised 6 year old Blue and Gold Lucy is one of the most spoiled birds that you will ever see. Once again I apologize if I upset you, but I feel that it is my duty to let people know the possibilities and I am even more sorry that you feel that you need to post slander towards me. Hopefully this will set the record straight.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Matthew was only trying to tell the bringers some of the pit falls of having a cockattoo. He did not even tell you how hard they are to fly with. He has learned a hard lesson. I know this because he called me up and told me how bad he was feeling in his heart because he had to get rid of his cockatoo. His exact words were ," I feel like I am losing part of my family." Again, Matt was only trying to tell others about what can happen and what has happened to him. Sorry, but he dosen't have a giant house or place to put all of his animals like some other performers do. Take care.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Travis, be careful when using him in area where can walk up easily to you after the act. A child may get nipped by your cockattoo while trying to touch it. A lot of kids try approach my animals after my shows. Presently I am using a chinchilla, dove and rabbit.

Posted: Dec 17, 2005 8:43am
You might want to try teaching him how to fly a short distance and return. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cockatoo Kids Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL