The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The 'meaning' of your show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
Do our shows have unifying themes? - or a basic 'meaning' in some way? If so what? I think an underlying theme could make a show more satisfying for older children....

This kind of follows from a previous thread ("Show Format Question")

Felix
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Nearly all my shows are character based and have themes. Tommorrow I'm doing my Cowboy show for a Cub Scout Blue and Gold. Saturday I'm in my Renaissance attire for a Christmas Party and Sunday it will be my Mediaeval character for a Yulr Feast.
As for meaning. I leave that up to my audience to find whatever deeper meaning they wish to overlay upon my performance.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
For older kids yes, for younger I have a script but roll where ever the kids lead. I'll often develope the theme and shift it during performance based on how I read the reactions.
Steve V
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I sometimes feel we get too wrapped up in finding the meaning of things, especially magic, and do not give enough credit to our audience in finding their own meaning in what we do. This may be a little too existential, but I'd much rather focus on the wonder than the meaning. I am not yet convinced magic has any inherent meaning or if by its nature is above meaning. I believe Payne has pretty much nailed this one and I could not agree more.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The theme is magic. The meaning is fun. What more do you need?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-12-14 13:19, Starrpower wrote:
The theme is magic. The meaning is fun. What more do you need?

Perhaps a reason why magic is generally regarded as little more than a diversion for children
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
Felix,

When you say "unifying theme" or "meaning" are you searching for a way to segue from one trick to the next without relying upon "and for my next trick..." type patter? Or are you interested in themed shows, directed towards a specific target market, such as an Environmental or an Anti-bullying program, etc.?

Scott
felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
I'm not simply talking about tying routines together, no - more something like a show having some sort of moral message or meaningful storyline carrying a theme along... but which is bound up with the magic

It's something that appeals to me but I haven't managed to devise yet...

I suppose gospel magic might be an example, but this isn't what I'm after personally

Felix
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
508 Posts

Profile of spatrick
My basic theme is to show my audience a great show and have some fun along the way.

I then tell the kids that my show is divided into three parts.

Part A is magic that is cool and fun
Part B is magic that is cool and dangerous (emphasize dangerous)
And part "3" is magic that is cool and gross and disgusting.

The kids always love part 3 the best.

That way I can transition into the different parts cuz the kids always want to know "When are you gonna do the gross stuff???"

Of course the theme of a birthday party show should be about the birthday child (not every routine but the most important ones), and other theme shows (Harry Potter, Cub Scout) are the exception.

S. Patrick
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Our birthday shows have the message that it is not the cake, presents and games that make it special but the family and friends. We tailor all off our routines on how things like making or eating cake can get messed up, the presents are not what we wanted,etc. and end with an effect that brings home the message all in a fun and entertaining way. This is what we strive to achieve. The thing is, as has been mentioned, sometimes the audience dictates where it goes. As long as they are entertained and the character is maintained I too believe that that is the most important part. I do try not to delude myself. A five year old is not going to grasp the deeper meaning but will love when I'm the magician in trouble and he/she has to save me by doing the magic. Then again, I am really selling to moms. They often love the message!
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
I do several different themed show, each with there own basic storyline that they follow. However as for the meaning of them on a deeper level I think this is twofold. First I am there to entertain and put on the best show that I can, and secondly I am there to get paid. The cash is very deep and meaningful to me and my family.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Mine is not nearly that deep, sometimes I wish it was a bit deeper.

My "theme" is all based on a running color through the show. Most every prop is colored yellow and purple and seems to tie the show together nicely. The events are all different, but it still feels like they belong together because of the look of the props (thanks in part to some killer work by Chance Wolf, Jack Murray, and Chris Murphy). This color includes my small props all the way up to the big illusions. Even the ATA cases are colored! The theme I guess is "fun"!

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I have two family shows. one is a "classic magic" show and the secong is a mixture of magic and puppets called the "coola buba" show.
They both entail a lot of fun and humor and are both as entertaining as each other.
I have another "story telling" show with magic for toddlers and an "advanced show" for older children.
I also perform a "close up" show for all ages.

None of these shows have a "meaning" as such, but I live in a very hot region and throughout the show, as a type of running gag, I take a sip of water and say "le'chaim" (to life) and explain each time the neccessity to drink water. I also have some kind of "blendo" trick in each show and here I comment on how nice it is "to be as one" and other such meaningful moral messages that I try to convey to my young audiences although, I have said it in a previous topic here:
If you are going to entertain, then just entertain. If you are going to educate, then entertain as well.

Enjoy,
Dani
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
My programs are known for the "Magic with a Message". This can include

1. The one I did 3 times today...The Magic of Friends and Family
2. Character Education for K-6
3. Choices and Consequences for Middle School
4. A Nearly Normal look at: a. Fun with out Drugs..For recovery centers
b. Hospital Casemanagers
c. one I did yesterday...Nearly Normal look at
Volunteers. The ages of the audience ranged from
teenagers to 93 years young.

Be safe, well and creative.

A magic show just for the fun of it can be ...er fun.

One holiday memory after a show many years ago jumped into my head.

A lady came up and hugged me in tears....(not because of my bad jokes) said, "Thanks this is the first time I have really laughed since my husband died."

It was a family type show with all ages and the theme was the holidays, but really just some fun mix of magic, juggling and vent.

What really helped my show, was finding meaning for me, and letting more of me and my audience come out and together.

Just two liberty half dollars worth from

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I'm formulating now an act that deals to the people for them to realize that magic is an art. at first I'm trying to make them feel that the magic is really in the power of love and understanding then I will get them to realize that magic is an art. "they say magic is fake, no it is an art, say it magic is an art!" I love that line from my script. haha!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
JordanMalfreed
View Profile
Regular user
California
116 Posts

Profile of JordanMalfreed
It is not a requirement for a show to have a through-line or a meaning or message. Note that regardless of whether or not you intend a message or not, there is always a message or multiple messages there.

Following the protocols,
Jordan
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
The meaning of my shows:

To fascinate
To educate
To spread joy
To have fun
To share
To help people forget their troubles
To stimulate
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
"Making you dreams take flight"

Lucas
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
My shows are known as Police Magic. This carries crime and drug prevention themes as well as personal safety, stranger danger, etc. I have been told numerous times that it is both educational and entertaining. I use a lot of humor with the children (and adults) and sometimes end the show with a puppet to reinforce the messages learned. My style is unconventual and unorthodox and very animated. I have done these type shows in my police uniform, but prefer to do it with my police magician logo (as I don't like to wear a gun while doing shows for kids).

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Payne and Frank Tougas understand young children very well.

You do not need an underlying themes to drive a predefined magic show, just good magic.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The 'meaning' of your show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL