The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Ideal Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Looking for general advice, done searching. However would like guidance on what cups to purchase. I have roughly £100 to spend.

Thanks for advice.

Carl
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
There's no one "ideal" cup.

It all depends on what you intend to do with it. Street work? Gazzos or one of the other sizes by Gary Animal. Working from pockets? Smaller cups work better. Indoor work like restaurants you can get away with something less robust than the Gazzos or other heavy duty cups. Johnson Products makes a beautiful set at the high end of your price range. But so do many other people. I can't even begin to tell you in a single message how many kinds are available. Your price limit pretty much means you can buy just about anything except for the "elite" cups.

Do you want to display 3 balls on top of a cup? That rules out Cellini's and the round top Animals, and a few others.

Read the posts here. Cups and Balls is one of the most talked about topics in this particular forum.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with Dave V (I usually do) do a search here and read the cups and balls posts.

You didn't give a lot of info about your performing style, venue, etc, but you will even find the questions you didn't ask, already answered here. Go to [b]Search[b] and enter cups and balls. They try different variations like best cups, etc, and it will all unfold for you.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Thanks Bro.

David (the other one)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
As Dave says, it depends what you want them for and what your personal preference is for the 'look' of your cups. Having said that, your £100 budget does limit things a little.

Need big cups for busking?
Consider the Harries Magic cups. Pro: they're big and cost just £45. Con: they're not very heavy. http://www.harriesmagic.com/engelsk/catalogCups.html
Also consider Gary Animal's cups (e.g. Animal cup, available from http://www.magicpitch.com). Pro: they're big (will take a baseball); con: will cost you roughly £140 + shipping. Gary may have some cups up for auction on eBay soon.

Need cups for close-up work?
Options are slightly better. The 'mainstream' cups in this group would be cups from Bazar de Magia, Uday, or MagicMakers. Bazar cups are as good as any - Get a good price and UK shipping from http://www.magicbox.uk.com/exec.php/prod....../11876//
Looking for something a bit different? Keith Bennett has some cups for £75 that have had excellent reviews http://www.kbmagic.co.uk/tricks.htm
Fancy pushing your budget a bit to get the best of the best? Brett Sherwood's cups are probably the finest on the market today. Superb design, wonderfully made, but can you stretch to approx £150 for his copper or brass cups? Shipping won't be too painful as Brett's in the UK. http://www.sherwoodmagic.com

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
You can get 100 dollar cups at penguin. But youcan also get ones for 40 bucks, and I love em! They are at http://www.browsersden.com I have the copper ones and they work like a charm!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
His limit was 100 pounds (sorry, I don't know the code for that "L" thing) not dollars which translates roughly to a bit over $200 U.S.

Besides the Penguin/Magic Makers cups being rather inconsistent, I figured he wanted something a bit better for his money.
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
If you have £100 I'd go for the Keith Bennet ones - have a look at the http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com too.

However I'd actually save a little bit extra and go for one of the otehr sets mentioned that are £130-150. If you are going to spend £100 might as well spend £130-150 I think.

but the KB ones are good and at £75 are a good price.

Kindest Regards

DAK
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Cheers guy's. I am considering Gary Animal's cups at £140, however do like the look of Sherwoods cups.

Carl
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
I will be able to push my limit to £150 - £160. Will use cups for street performing, need to be able to load large final load. Cheers once again guys

Carl
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
In that case, go with the Animals. Gary's semi-retired right now but he's financing his move to New Zealand by selling cups on eBay. He posts a few every week or so. Just do a search for "Gazzo cups" and you'll find them.
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Hi guys, me again. I've been looking at eith Bennett cups for £75. Do any of you guys use these cups, or know where I can get a review. Thanks again

Carl
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Carl,

they are a nice set of cups - I used to have a set (you can see my old set at the cups and balls museum about half way down the regular cups page) They'll take a good size load - a small orange - tennis ball not sure if they'd take a baseball though. Maybe Bill could have a look at the set in the museum for you.
They were fairly solid cup, made of brass then coated in chrome I think. Stacked nicely and had a nice indent in top of cups for balls. Should withstand the rigors of the street for a good while.

I changed to Gazzo's due to wanting large orange as final load and wanting a copper set.

Kindest Regards

DAK
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Well, I've just ordered Gary Animals 'babe' cups. Finally made a decision. Thanks for your comments guys

Carl
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Good choice. No, great choice. I'm jealous.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Yup, I agree - great choice. You won't be disappointed.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Babe cups arrived today, with a free set of love cups too. Both sets are excellent. Been out to find mini footballs and 3 larger footballs for 2nd part. Need to go out again to find extra large football for under the hat.

Cheers

Carl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Ideal Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL