The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Next Step (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GG
View Profile
New user
UK
86 Posts

Profile of GG
I have been practicing coin magic for most of this year,by the usual means,roth book and dvd's bobo's,etc,I feel I need some new material to learn and to aspire to, any suggestions. I thought Kaufmans coin magic maybe the next step,however dvd's for me seem easier to learn from. Performance wise, standing sitting,bar work,restraunts, all close up,with no close up mat,Ilearn quite quickly, but my nearest magic shop is probaly 200 mile round trip so have never visited one.I have bought several dvd's but now is the time to move onwards and upwards. So help me out I don't want to spend any more hard earned cash on material I'm not going to use though it all makes an interesting library.After watching and learning from david roths dvd's everything else to me looks a little less magical.
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Can you be more specific as to what DVDs you already own? Is it strictly David Roth's material? Off the top of my head, I would suggest Coin Classics Volume 1. It's just chock full of good coin and bill material.
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
My situation is mostly the same as yours. I bought Kaufmans book and felt that it wasn't anything for me. Perhaps I'm too "young", or that I mostly like learning from DVD's. I don't know. But I cannot say that the book has anything for me.

I'd go with Sankeys Revolutionary Coin Magic.

Just a tip.

Jim
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
86 Posts

Profile of GG
Thanks but I have both of those,use some of sankeys stuff, mr clean,and no jacket required, I also own Unexpected visitor and to be honest there is a lot of good stuff on there,I get a bit scared when using gimmicks, frightend I'm going to drop them,got to get over it,but it will come. I'm looking to build a flowing routine, as in bobo's book, however the only one in the book that I feel interested in is to many coins by milton cort , I thik that's what it's called. So really it's something to add to my Library, , . So I guess a few coin tricks in a row to make up a small show, which is what I call a routine.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Between David Roth's video and Sankey's Rev. Coin Magic I would have thought you would have some great stand-up and close-up material to choose from.
Using the sleights you already know, consider creating your own plots, scripts, and routines. Only you know what will work best for you. You might be surprised how well you can do on your own. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 10:35, GG wrote:
I have been practicing coin magic for most of this year,by the usual means,roth book and dvd's bobo's,etc,I feel I need some new material to learn and to aspire to, any suggestions. ...

For fun, you might enjoy Curtis Kam's "Palms of Steel" series. And perhaps Reed McClintock's work. Reed has some nice routines where you produce lots of coins in an artistic way. While on the subject, in Curis's videos you will get to see Kainoa Harbottle who does some very impressive work with its roots in the Buckley books but using modern concealments and thinking to go with them.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
86 Posts

Profile of GG
Thank's for that, my tuningfork,needs a little tuning,and my planet needs conquering.Seriously though I believe that anything is possible for mostly anyone with practice. 20 years or so ago I worked my way through the royal road to card magic,or most of it,and it's served me well,but having got the bug for magic again I decided coins were going to be the thing,and I'm hooked,there's no rush but I just enjoy learning new sleights and ideas and putting them to some use, another question for anybody, how does the new modern coin magic(enlarged)differ from the dover publication ?.
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
I couldn't agree more with your statment about practice. If you have the passion, the time, the inclination, and a few DVD's/Books a YEAR is a HUGE amount of time to learn some advanced coin handling and a few routines to go with it. It is not unusual at all that you are doing as well as you are doing only in a year. A year is a loooong time in serious magic practice. I would have thought Jonothan could understand that.

I agree with Larry. You might want to dream up some effects of your own evil creation (evil magic is best) with the new ideas you have mastered.

D
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
67 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
I can tell you this, if you get/have Kaufman's Coinmagic book, try out Geoff Latta's C/S/B routine. Very nice

Cheers,

Bill
bwalendziak
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
78 Posts

Profile of bwalendziak
I like The Unexpected Visitor also, it has some nice routines to play with. I like his routine to get into or follow the fingertip coins across. Nice. "Coinmagic" is also great but I haven't had a chance to work on many new things in a while.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Whoa! You've been doing this less than a year and have already gone through Bobo's, The Roth book, and some videos?

Believe me, you have spent enough on tricks. It's either time to learn to present a few of them so laymen like to see them, or to give up coin magic and find something better suited to your talents.

You have tons of material already. If you really can't find tricks worth doing in all that it's time to step back reevaluate what magic you should be doing.

Perhaps it's time to read Strong Magic, or Magic and Showmanship?
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 14:04, bwalendziak wrote:
I like The Unexpected Visitor also, it has some nice routines to play with.

I couldn't agree more. Doug's book and DVD contain fine examples of how to use those fundamental sleights you have just spent a year (or whatever) mastering. His routines are thought provoking, arresting and very cleverly and originally constructed. That video is truly full of winners. Doug is also a heck of a nice guy who deserves the recognition.

D
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
86 Posts

Profile of GG
Whoa! You've been doing this less than a year and have already gone through Bobo's, The Roth book, and some videos.
I never said I have mastered all in this material but in my opinion if something does'nt get your interest,why learn it, A lot of roths work is for parlour type work,un-useable for me, Thank's for all the positive feedback,and it's taken on board. now for the negative feedback, what's your problem \if you can't learn some fundamental sleights in a year or so with a lot of work going into it. maybe it's you that should give up coin magic and do something less construtive with your talent As for buying tricks, book's, dvd's I think of it as an investment of knowledge, not tricks. I was maybe getting kaufmans coinmagic as a christmas present and just wanted to know what it's like if that's ok with you.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Kaufmans Coin Magic is definitely well worth reading...but from the sounds of what you say, you probably would be better off getting the Unexpected Visitor as mentioned above! It is packed filled with plenty of out of the pocket type coin effects...quick and very visual...no hard or "movey" looking moves...plain and simple magic!

Mike
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Mike, I believe he mentioned above that he does own Unexpeceted Visitor. I recommend Troy Hooser's DesTroyers and Up in Smoke by Paul Cummins.
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
86 Posts

Profile of GG
Thank's guy's compiled a list, gave it to that lucky someone a total free choice and my christmas present was, Kaufman's coin magic, read it to the early hours, look's like plenty to play with. Merry christmas and my next question will be coming soon.
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
That should keep you busy for a while!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
GG,
Sorry you took my comments the wrong way. I wasn't trying to dis' you. I was trying to tell you that you have enough material already. Unless you do nothing else you couldn't possibly have tried everything in the Roth book AND Bobo's and a couple of videos. Most coin magic has to be done to be understood and appreciated. Mike Gallo's One Behind coins across in the Encore books is good example (Hi Mike!). If you just READ it you'll just think "Oh, that's a clever idea." but until you actually DO it a few times (even in practice, not for people) you won't fully appreciate how perfect the illusion it creates IS.

There are only a handful of plots in coin magic, and if you've read Roth's book you probably already know more of them than most folks. If you haven't found something you'd like to do by now, buying book or video filled with more versions of Coins Across will probably be a waste of money. That's why I recommended Stong Magic and Magic and Showmanship. Both books will give you ideas about how to get the most out of the tricks you have already paid for...

Happy New Year!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Next Step (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL