The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first 100 bucks to spend at a magic shop...recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I'm headed out to Barry's up in MD after lunch today. Any recommendations on things I might want to come back with?

I am mostly interested in Card and Coin magic as well as magic with every day items.
I think I hear a Haunted Key calling my name as well.

Once I get through the basics, I think I would like to 'specialize' in the more ghostly/bizzare, but I figure I need to start simple.

I am open to book recommendations always, but I have The Complete Course in Magic for now as well as a Dummies, and and Idiots....

Mostly looking for things other than books.

Should I be thinking of something like a Raven at this point, or is that farther downt the road?

Tks
Jim
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Scotch and soda (a coin trick) is pretty popular.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Well, for books I reccomend Royal Road to card Magic and Bobo's modern Coin magic. If you get the dover versions of those it will only be like 20 bucks there. As for any thing else. Just look around for some things. For coins if you want some gimmicks pick up a scotch & soda coin and a Coin in bottle gimmick. That is really all I can reccomend. If you see something you like, have them demo it for you and make a desicion from there. Good luck.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
I can't recommend a thumbtip strongly enough. I was skeptical at first, but the amount of seemingly miraculous things you can do with this thing is unparalleled.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Your interest is "Card and Coin magic as well as magic with every day items" but you would like to "'specialize' in the more ghostly/bizzare" and "Mostly looking for things other than books."

Wow! I would hold onto the $100 until you decide what to focus on. Closeup or Bizarre? That money may fly right out the window and then you'll have stuff you may never use.
Don't overlook books and other instructionals.

Whatever you decide to get into, I would suggest that you look into sleight of hand routines first and not worry about gimmicks.

You're new here so continue to read the different forums, ask question and make a choice as to what you want to do before spending.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'd suggest Blizzard by Dean Dill, Card Stunts by Gregory Wilson, SPUN by Morgan Strebler and Richard Osterlind Mind Mysteries. They should keep you happy and busy for awhile. Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Good advice Jazz, but I think I may have confused you with my poor wording.

I didn't mean I don't want books, I just meant that I had this particular money dedicated to things other than books. I have a running book budget for books that doesn't count against my "allowance" from my wife Smile

In the realm of bizzare and spooky, at least for the time being, I am thinking things like Haunted Key, and card magic with Tarot etc, so I guess that is close up.

So I went to Barry's and ended up with about 100 bucks in 'magic stuff' and another hundred-ish in books and DVD instructionals. Plus I got to talk to some REALLY nice people, see some magic, and play with an awsome dog. I'd say an afternoon well spent.

Here's the list off the top of my head so I might miss a few...
Hot Rod
a TT
A couple of silks with + a DVD
D'lite
Raven
A vanishing Pencil
Svengali Deck / Book
Stripper Deck / Book
Sponge balls + DVD
Patriotic Ropes

A book on Sleight of Hand one of the customers recommended it, but the title escapes me at the moment as I put everything away and will only try to learn one thing at a time for now. This evening is dedicated to the Hot Rod.

I didn't end up with the Haunted Key this trip, but will keep my eye out.

There were a couple of newspaper guys in there doing stories as well. I think they were from the DC Examiner.....?

Thanks again for all the advice. Maybe someday I can contribute too Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
That's really not a bad list and similar to my early purchases.
It's fun to explore but it can become expensive.
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun learning and performing. Smile

TT and Stripper may well be the most versatile of the things you bought because they're not 'one effect' tricks.

Best to ya,
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1962 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Some self working coin magic, if you don't want to get into sleights right now, are Dime and Penny, Scotch and Soda, Nickels to Dimes, $1.35, 21 Cent Trick, and Coin Unique to name a few.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
610 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Scotch and Soda was the first efffect I ever bought from a magic shop. So glad I spent that money... I have had tons of fun with it. Otherwise, buy some books. The Secrets of Brother John Hamman is a great book for card routines.

Spirit Glass is a good one getting in the realm of ghost n stuff.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
If I had to start over again knowing what I know now I'd get a quality Scotch and Soda coin set (Johnson is my favorite), Lethal Tender coin set, Easy to Master Card Miracles Vol.2 DVD, Pen thru anything, Mark Wilsons Encyclopedia of Magic(available in soft cover cheap, best deal in magic), TT and silk.

That's about a hundred bucks and all of which I still use regularly. I would concentrate on learning all kinds of magic that interest you and then adapt it to fit your performance theme.

When you are ready to purchase another book take a look at The Magic of Micheal Ammar it's the best refernce I own with a lot of real everyday usable miracles.

Good luck there's is nothing more fun than a day at the magic shop with a pocket full of money!!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Books: Stars of Magic by many authors and Close-up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne.
Brad Burt
michaelwriting
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
55 Posts

Profile of michaelwriting
Greg Wilson's On the Spot video is a really good start. Beyond just the tricks, you get to learn some nice little subtleties, using the off-beat, misdirection, etc.

Mike
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Get Art of Astonishment series by Paul Harris. You'll have enough card, coin, and everyday object magic to last you a lifetime. It will also open your mind about magic and where you can take it.
toolman22
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of toolman22
Royal Road to Card Magic and an invisbile deck.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Toomuchmagic, I think that may be a little advanced, and put him off at this stage.

I would also suggest Royal Road, Bobo's coin magic, and the encyclopedia of card tricks - these can all be obtained cheaply.

Also a TT, and a book, as this is one of the best tools available, and a stripper deck.

I would stick with that, and then see what interests you - you have more than enough material there.

fFom there, you can persue what you think will interest you more!

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 11:18, jpoor wrote:
I'm headed out to Barry's up in MD after lunch today. Any recommendations on things I might want to come back with?
Well, it's been 3 days my fellow magi...how was the trip and the outome... did you spend all the money? Just curious to hear! Smile Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
The trip was fine and I posted the list up a few posts. I guess it could have read like a shopping list rather than a final list though...
I left out the Glorpy that I got too.

So far I've spent a bit of time with the Hot Rod, even my wife liked that one and she's very ummm 'honest' with me Smile

I got Bill Tarr's "Now you see it, now you don't" at the recommendation of another magician there, and I've been working on cards (just trying to get the pass down actually) for two days.

I watched the sponge balls DVD and the TT DVD last night and might give the cards a break today, who knows.

Oh, almost forgot, I was lucky enough to be in the store at just the right time to get tickets to "The Psychic Ghost Theater." Smile

Here's the list off the top of my head so I might miss a few...
Hot Rod
a TT
A couple of silks with + a DVD
D'lite
Raven
A vanishing Pencil
Svengali Deck / Book
Stripper Deck / Book
Sponge balls + DVD
Patriotic Ropes

Thanks again for all the advice. Maybe someday I can contribute too Smile
[/quote]
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Hey Jim,

Sounds like we go to the same shop! I'm in Fairfax as well, and I work as a bartender on the weekends, and perform magic when we're not too busy. Could be a good opportunity for you to see real world performance situations, and then we can talk about where to learn the effects, etc...

I second the recommendations for Royal Road to Card Magic. It was written quite a while ago, but that's testament to the material, that the effects hold up. Also, you can buy it cheaply at Border's, but I think it would be great to spend the couple extra bucks and buy it from Barry. Why? Because there are few brick and mortar magic shops left any more (Barry's is the only one in our area), and I think it's worth supporting him. You'll be building a relationship with someone who can really give you some good pointers on stuff, answer questions, make informed recommendations, that sort of thing. You can't get that just anywhere...

Give me a shout if you ever want to meet up. I know my girlfriend would appreciate me talking about magic with someone other than her!

Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Kudos to you...looks likes you're gonna be busy for some time. Hey, looks like you have someone close by to share some magic! Good luck you two! Keep on shuffling and most of all have fun!! Merry Christmas (looks like Santa came early for you) Smile
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first 100 bucks to spend at a magic shop...recommendations? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL