The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first 100 bucks to spend at a magic shop...recommendations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Mie,

Where do you Bartend/perform?
Do you know of any magic shows/clubs in the area?
I did some searching and the SAM site hasn't been updated in months, and there is no contact info for the local chapter.

I'm headed back to Barry's tomorrow looking for some more DVD instructionals and a couple of specific items. I think it is too dangerous to go in there without a predetermined outcome. Might blow my whole budget Smile
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
I know the feeling...You walk in, they ask what you're looking for, you reply "I dunno", and viola! They've got you! I was thinking of going up there as well, maybe to get something for my nephew for X-mas, but more likely to get something for me. Smile

I'm not aware of any clubs around here, sorry.

I bartend at P.F. Chang's at Fairfax Corner. It's right around the corner from the Fairfax County Government Center. I'm there on Friday and Saturday nights, but to be honest, I'm probably going to be retiring from bartending pretty soon.

Are you familiar with Champ's Restaurant in Reston? They have a magician for their kids night, but I'm not sure what night it is. Wed, I think. His name is Harley; he's a good guy, performed at The Magic Castle, if I'm not mistaken. My office is right next door to the place, if you ever want to go check him out. I always try to drag my girlfriend, and sometimes she accomodates me, but, as you know, they aren't always as into magic as we are...

Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1909 Posts

Profile of Platt
Top two gimmicked items by a mile:

1. TT
2. Invisible deck

You could spend thousands on other items and not come even close to the astonishment you can get out these two items totaling about $10.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I'll ask about the ivisible deck tomorrow when I go.

I'm looking for some sort of box that I can 'produce' Copperfield tickets from for my wife on Christmas Morning. She's a nut for him and we can finally afford to go. Smile
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
We haven't been to a PF Changs since we left LA. Might be a good excuse to drag the gang out (my parents are coming to town this week). Maybe we'll look you up.

Quote:
On 2005-12-19 19:37, HeyLockwood wrote:
I know the feeling...You walk in, they ask what you're looking for, you reply "I dunno", and viola! They've got you! I was thinking of going up there as well, maybe to get something for my nephew for X-mas, but more likely to get something for me. Smile

I'm not aware of any clubs around here, sorry.

I bartend at P.F. Chang's at Fairfax Corner. It's right around the corner from the Fairfax County Government Center. I'm there on Friday and Saturday nights, but to be honest, I'm probably going to be retiring from bartending pretty soon.

Are you familiar with Champ's Restaurant in Reston? They have a magician for their kids night, but I'm not sure what night it is. Wed, I think. His name is Harley; he's a good guy, performed at The Magic Castle, if I'm not mistaken. My office is right next door to the place, if you ever want to go check him out. I always try to drag my girlfriend, and sometimes she accomodates me, but, as you know, they aren't always as into magic as we are...

Mike
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Another visit to Barry's today and I think I left just befor you Mike. Sue said you were coming in soon.

Anyway, I spent a while there and had a great time. Of course, I left with a few more tricks in my bag too. Smile

I think I will be busy practising until after the new year.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Scotch and Soda is a fun trick to perform since there are so many uses with it, and all of them are extremely simple. If you haven't already picked one up, you ought to, and figure out tons of fun tricks to do with it.
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
Jpoor, did you say you were working on the pass? That is an extremely difficult card move that is going to take you a long time to learn. There is a lot of stuff you should work on first i.e.: DL, double undercut, glides, false cuts/shuffles, palms, sidesteals etc.. You should be working on that stuff before you get into the pass. You got some good stuff but I would reccomend some pure sleight of hand. Royal road comes to mind as does Scarne on Cards.

Good luck,
Ari Simon
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
The invisible deck. It's twenty dollars at my local magic shop, and David Blaine performed it with great reactions. The Coin Bite and Dime and Penny are good too.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I did get an ID, and yes was working on the pass. It was the first thing taught in the book, so I figured start at the begining. I ended up getting Royal Road and will start working from that book vice, Now You See It Now You Don't.

I have a few things I can work with while I'm learning the sleights.

:D
Eman
View Profile
Regular user
Bloomington, Indiana
141 Posts

Profile of Eman
Expert card magic, modern coin magic, any book teaching the dl, any big, beginner level book, a thumbtip, the raven, the invisible deck, oh the list goes on and on...
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Here are some books.
-Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic.
-Royal Road to card magic.
-Bobos Modern Coin Magic.

Here are some good dvds.
-Born to Perform Card Magic with Oz Pearlman.
-Revolutionary Coin Magic. (Jay Sankey)
-Revolutionary Card magic.(Jay sankey)

Here are some effects.
-Bigger Finish.
-Holy Moly.
-Rising Card.
-Hummer card.
-Scotch and Soda.
-Nickles to Dimes.
-Thumb Tip.
-Dlites.
-Sponge Balls.
-Cups and Balls.

These are just some Ideas. I don't use, or even have a lot of these, but I am getting the feeling that you are a beginner, so I am giving you the essentials. These are all great, and pretty easy stuff. I would NOT reccommend the raven. It is a good trick, but the set up is very hard to work with. Anyway, just a few thoughts. Hope these help. -Cory.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 18:01, Jim Poor wrote:
I did get an ID, and yes was working on the pass. It was the first thing taught in the book, so I figured start at the begining. I ended up getting Royal Road and will start working from that book vice, Now You See It Now You Don't.

Jim - it looks like you missed the advice in the "how to use this book" section of "Now you see it". This book has a bit of a strange layout. Each move is graded with 1, 2 or 3 stars, with 1 being the easiest and 3 being the hardest. No matter where the move appears in the book, he recommends learning all the 1 star moves first, then the 2 star, etc.

Not that I'm criticizing the book - it is a good one to have in your library. I do think that Royal Road, with its carefully worked out progression of moves and tricks, will be better to learn from.
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Yup, silly me, I just looked and I did miss that part. I must have been too anxious to get to the 'good stuff.'
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
Because you are a beginner, I recommend skipping most sleight of hand for now. You need some easy, self-working effects, which equates to getting some gimmicks, to get you started and help build confidence. If you don't have the confidence, how can you expect to do sleight of hand without messing up?

However, you do not want to waste your precious money on gimmicks that are impractical or ones that you will never use later down the road.

Therefore, I whole-heartedly recommend Scotch and Soda. It the first trick that I got from a magic shop, and I still use it to this day.

A TT, is nice as well, however, I myself did not start using one until recently and I am in my amateur stage.

If you still insist on getting some of your items on your list, I would recommend crossing out these:

Stripper Deck (You'll never use it again after you move up one more level in magic)
Svengali Deck (Ditto)
Raven (Too hard to use, IMO)
Spongeballs (fun, but require a decent amount of sleight of hand and misdirection)
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I suggest getting proffessors night mare it rele amazes people I also recomend the popcorn dye box .those are both pretty cheap as well as the MINI ASRAH
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
NFW! or Hoover Card or Invisible deck or Svengaly deck Smile
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
101 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
Jim,

Just came across your message. There is a very active chapter of the International Brotherhood of Magicians near you. Check out our website http://www.ibmring50.org. Meetings are held once a month. Perhaps ironically, our next one features "What's New at Barry's." Smile

I'm still something of a neophyte myself, but if I had to choose favorite props for $100, Hot Rod, Invisible Deck, Professor's Nightmare, TT, and Ninja Rings are among my favorites. Get a decent pair of rings - the cheaper ones work, but you can really bruise your hands working them. They also take a lot of practice to look good, but they're a classic in magic for a reason - it really looks beautiful.
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2005-12-25 13:17, magicman226 wrote:
Scotch and Soda is a fun trick to perform since there are so many uses with it, and all of them are extremely simple. If you haven't already picked one up, you ought to, and figure out tons of fun tricks to do with it.

I agree, Scotch and Soda is great. You should get the Amazing Magic Tricks with Scotch and Soda booklet.
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Jason,

I found a contact for IBM50 and got a reply to my e-mail Smile I may pop in one night.
Sadly, what is new at Barry's is that the city is trying to tear the building down to build a park. They are using "Eminent Domain" to do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first 100 bucks to spend at a magic shop...recommendations? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL