The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Smoke from hands ala’ Copperfield? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JasonG
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
17 Posts

Profile of JasonG
Hello everyone,

On some old Copperfield specials, he has done illusions (Torn & Restored Baseball card comes to mind) that end with smoke coming from between his hands.

For instance, at the end of the baseball card restoration, he "irons out" the wrinkles on the card, when he does so, he puts his hands together and smoke comes out of the pocket, making it look like he actually ironed it.

Please email me if you have a method for doing this: grasshof@msu.edu

Thanks!

Jason G Smile
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
It's ages since I've heard anyone mention the DC baseball card restoration. Cool trick, and if memory serves me right it was put out for sale... at $500. It would appear though that this was marketing ploy and didn't really exist in the form DC did it, if at all. It was called Torn Asunder. As to the smoke I think it was some weird gimmick put out by the Camirand Academy... It's all possible to do the whole effect for real though. If you invest in a certain G Hollingworth book (for Reformation)...get some Letteraline by letteraset and smoke 2000. Then learn a good top change...
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Didn't Paul Harris market an effect a year or two ago that did this smoke production? Can't remember the name of it though.
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Yup DC did do a 'smoke effect' with a lump of coal changing into a diamond... but he also did 'smoke' on restoring the baseball card... honest.
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Jay Scott Berry also makes and markets a "certain something" that you can use for this as well.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
If someone would like to Email me about this smoke effect, I am sure that I can help. I would post it here but I am not so sure that this would be the place to give up a way cool secret.
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Jorge Gonzalvo
View Profile
New user
Spain
71 Posts

Profile of Jorge Gonzalvo
Quote:
On 2002-01-17 05:52, vernon wrote:
It's ages since I've heard anyone mention the DC baseball card restoration. Cool trick, and if memory serves me right it was put out for sale... at $500. It would appear though that this was marketing ploy and didn't really exist in the form DC did it, if at all. It was called Torn Asunder. As to the smoke I think it was some weird gimmick put out by the Camirand Academy... It's all possible to do the whole effect for real though. If you invest in a certain G Hollingworth book (for Reformation)...get some Letteraline by letteraset and smoke 2000. Then learn a good top change...

I have heard that this thing you mention is a hoax... because nobody has seen that effect.

If anyone can complete the info, please, post it.

Jorge
Brett Cantrell
View Profile
New user
Valdosta, Georgia
71 Posts

Profile of Brett Cantrell
Go here: http://www.camirandmagic.com/
and check out Gary Ouellet's "In a Puff of Smoke." Apparently used by DC in the
"Gretsky Card Trick." I just bought the manuscript last week but haven't begun the working process yet... Smile

Regards,
Brett
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Gary Ouellet's "In a Puff of Smoke can really burn you and is not safe.
Ultra Smoke 2000 is the way to go and has lots more smoke. Any dealer sells it.

merlinskingdom.com

http://www.hanklee.net/extras/extra0602.html
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Brett Cantrell
View Profile
New user
Valdosta, Georgia
71 Posts

Profile of Brett Cantrell
Wow Zigmont,
Thanks for the info. On my first glance, all through the manuscript it keeps stressing how this is a safe, performance tested, method. What is your experience or knowledge of the danger here? Smile

Regards,
Brett
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Well... the Chemical used is an irritant (and has a penetrating acid odor) to the eyes and respirtory tract. It will also react violently to water vapors and create a gas that can irritate skin, eyes, nose and throat and can cause burns.

The second set of chemicals that you can use is worse. With these, the fumes are corrosive. Other acids could be used, but if a drop of water was to fall on/into the acid - a strong exothermic reaction can cause an explosion or the boiling of the acid.

All this right under your arm pit.

This all in the manuscript with all the warning.

It's good for a TV studio with FX techs working the system. But not anything you want to carry or perform with audience mambers around.

I did buy the manuscript and made up the unit and tested it.

Ultra Smoke 2000 can cause a little corrosion on material (shirt cuff) if you don't follow instructions and cap the end. But it is very safe.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Zigmon, you must know that the "Ultra Smoke 2000" has been built by a European mentalist: Ted Lesley.

:hotcoffee: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

And the original version has 5 real advantages:

* Cheaper!
* It is always freshly “loaded” before every performance! With a single load you can fire off several dozen clouds of smoke!
* It explains clearly the drawbacks of this chemical! Even if the 1st description of this effect.
* It will explain HOW it works. Then you can make your own gimmicks!
* Of course, it's the original!!!

:hotcoffee: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

So, Go to:
http://www.wonderworkshop.de/guest/cgibi......how=1052
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I really think we have three different systems here.

1 - In a Puff of Smoke
2 - Ultra Smoke 2000 - is a self contained carriage
3 - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - Ted Lesley

I think his is talking (below) about, In a Puff of Smoke (at $250.00) not Ultra Smoke 2000.

An American magic dealer copied this system and sold it at an exorbitant price. One “improvement,” however, later proved to be a horrible flaw, because instead of the 500 clouds of smoke that the advertisement promised, the device would only produce, at most, 50 to 70 – and then it was useless! You do not need to fear this any longer with the original method, because it is always freshly “loaded” before every performance!
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
Several years ago I purchased a like product. The bottle that it came in failed to seal properly needless to say it was a real mess.

The dealer back then took it back and as a favor exchanged it for some Fantasio products. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

About 10 years ago I thought I would give it a go yet again. The same problem persisted, however, this time it ruined much of my magic equipment.

I guess after two times, I should have learned my lesson. Although smoke is a real beautiful addition to any performance, my experience has soured me on the whole idea.

If I am judging this chemical wrong, let me know, because I'd love to add it once again, but not until they come up with something much less corrosive, and safe to use.

Lloyd
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello Folks,

The first "smoke machine" I saw many years ago. A German dealer sold a big wineglass and had a simple "smoke-machine" built into the thing. The whole caboodle was covered with a beer-mat and a silk, and the performer blew smoke from his cigarette towards the glass. You guess what happened.... (Remember Fred Kaps and his
"Smoking The Thumb-Routine"?

The wineglass was absolutely safe, because there was no dangerous chemical involved.

Our System was built by my teacher and friend the late DANY RAY who used it constantly for a Coin-Routine. It looked beautiful in his hands, but as I asked him for the secret, he told me only that a very dangerous chemical was used, which he got from the little airport in the village, where he was living.

The pilots of the little airplanes sprayed the stuff in the air and made some crazy movements with the plane at the same time and the results were words and numbers which stayed in the air for a few minutes. Mostly the airplanes were hired by big factories for advertising matters.

Dany described his "machine" in a handwritten manuscript, which I found as I and his widow cleaned up his stuff shortly after his death. It was an old, soiled manuscript, which was very difficult to read and I think Dany was the first magician, who used this dangerous, but very effective system. Until I read it here, I had no idea of the Camirand apparatus.

If you construct the apparatus exactly as it is written in our manuscript and handle the chemical accordingly, you will have no problems with it. Before "Lesley´s Wonder Workshop" released the manuscript, the apparatus and its effectiveness was tried and tested many times by a few German magicians, who use the trick since then constantly on stage, in cabaret, but mostly close-up.

If you want to have the manuscript with the title: "SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES" order it directly from my website:

http://www.wonderworkshop.de

Make yourself known as a member of The Magic Café and you will get a discount of 15%. If you order one, two or more items at the same time, you will get the same discount!

More questions? Feel free to ask!

ESPecially and MAGICally

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm looking for a "puff of smoke" effect to use in a routine that involves twin mirror boxes. I don't need the smoke to come from my hands (that's a really cool idea). But I would like the smoke to be triggered by a switch I could rig to a battery perhaps? Thanks for your ideas.
Jim in Los Angeles
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Concerning smoke from your hands, is anyone familiar with the item, ELECTRIC MINI SMOKE ($70) offered by Hank Lee's Magic Factory?
Also, I can't seem to find a products section on Jay Scott Berry's website. Can anyone help regarding this?
Thanks, and once again, the coffee has been great here at the Café!!
Marqus
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
Marqus...

I know I've seen the electric mini smoke in one of my magic magazines, but I have no idea where!

As for the smoke gimmick from Jay Scott berry, just go to http://www.theatrefx.com

It's on there somewhere, write back if you can't find it.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2002-01-27 20:44, spfranz wrote:
Didn't Paul Harris market an effect a year or two ago that did this smoke production? Can't remember the name of it though.

You are correct about the Paul Harris effect which was called portable smoke. I purchased it and used it alot, but actually it was SEVERAL years ago. More kike eight, nine , or ten, or something in that vicinity. I remember because I recall the place I was working at the time, and how I constantly had maintenance running over to fix the machines that had smoke pouring out of them! (Yup! That was terrible, and I'm a sneaky little devil, but it was a perverted bit of fun for me back then.

You had to store the portable smoke devices in the freezer, and eventually they stopped manufacturing them. I believe the devices were manufactured and distributed by either Viking or Vernet. I just remember it started with a V.

I sorely miss this effect.

Quote:
On 2002-01-28 05:32, vernon wrote:
Yup DC did do a 'smoke effect' with a lump of coal changing into a diamond... but he also did 'smoke' on restoring the baseball card... honest.

I believe the effect DC was trying to convey here was STEAM. You know' like when you press your clothes with a steam iron. His hands were supposed to be turned into a portable steam iron, if you will.

At least I believe that is what he was trying to convey.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
I spoke to Guy Camirand personally when I first
decided to use the system, it is in fact what Copperfield used, Gary Ouellet was on hand during taping to supervise David's handling of the system.

Zigmont is correct, the "In A Puff System" problematic, it's not for the casual user.

I have used it for some 10 years with no problem, but I can see where someone, who would not respect the chemicals used could go wrong.

It's a system you cant skimp on when
putting it together, if your wondering
the cost to put it together, it's in and
around 250.00 to get all the necessary items
needed to perform it safely. Not to mention
the manuscript, I think it sells for $50.00

Go with Smoke 2000, a lot less hassle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Smoke from hands ala’ Copperfield? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL