The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mark Mason's No Tear Kidz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Maybe I need to come up with a better routine and give the No Tear Kidz a fair chance. It sounds like a lot of you guys have had a good response with this.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Quote:
On 2005-12-18 22:55, jskalon wrote:
I just purchased and did this 2 weeks ago for 25 8yr olds at a BD party. Before I could finish the trick, the kids were yelling "It spells Happy Birthday". I hope I have room in "The Drawer" for it.

just because they know what the letters spelled does not mean they know you where going to put the pieces together. Some say this is better then tearing the paper up because if your tearing it up, it leads to restoring it. This does not say your going to put it together your just showing some letters then bam! It is togther.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Some might put it together (that there must be another paper involved), but some just guess at any method they can think of. It's all about how wrapped up in the magic moment they become.

I've even had adults try to bribe me to tell them the secret. $25 wasn't enough a few years ago! I'm holding out for at least $100 nowadays. Hehehe!

HI,
I can understand what you are saying but for me its not enough just for the effect to mean something to the few enthusiastic folk at your show if you are doing any torn and restored effect which does not involve a signiture or some sort of apparent proof that no duplicate is involved then some percentage of your audience are going to know that it is a duplicate paper. yes they might think its clever how you swaped it without them knowing or be impressed by the flash unfolding of the paper but people arnt stupid. I know an act that used to get a good round of aplause when he produced his big load from silks he thought he was going down really well , what he was actually getting the applause for was the impressivness of the final load and the relief of suspence of everybody wondering what it was he just picked up behind the silks!
Any way just my opinion for people to think on , you don't have to agree with me
Phillip
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7376 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Phillip -

I see your point, but surely you must agree that even if you use a "proof of original item" or "a signature on original item", they are bound to think (if they really wanted to solve the mystery) that either (a) you didn't really tear up the original, or (b) a duplicate was involved, now with a duplicate signature. Most people just don't believe in real magic, when seen at a magic show. They know a secret is involved.

It might be a little more magical / higher impact to use "proof of original item", but sometimes when it is too bulletproof, they tend to want to think about the "how" too much afterwards. I'm not saying to make our magic weak, by any means. But I am saying that making it so that it "burns" the audience intentionally, can sometimes get in the way of them enjoying the magic for the entertainment value, rather than just the mystery value. That's why I don't use more than one sucker trick in a show.

Especially if a performer relys on the method too much, and doesn't combine it with an entertaining presentation. (Which I am not saying that you do.)

A great presentation must be a necessary element, not just a foolproof method.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I still hold high respect for you even if we differ.

- Donald

P.S. To keep this thread on track... T & R Newspaper is a restoration, but No Tear Kidz is a transformation. Different effects.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Just a word of caution from ol' clumsy (that's me BTW). The No Tear Kidz banner is not Tyvec and will tear as I found out. When brand new the banner portion comes very compressed and is quite hard to initially unfold. Once you do get it unfolded, lay it face down with the folded corner at the top right and apply some transparent tape to the fold just to the left of the folded corner as this corner and the fold take the most stress when it is opened. Never ripped my No Tear newspaper, but the banner is heavier and stiffer than newspaper.

Harv
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I have used the "no tear" newspaper since it came out.
This nearly normal guy has never seen the Mark Mason..No tear kidz...

Thanks for providing a link. I will check it out.

The only "negative comment" (from the news paper restoration) I have received was from a judge in a local magic club contest. I used it as part of a routine, "What if Clark Kent, mild manner reporter for the Daily Planet, was a Magician."

It seems to play well with my audiences. It is used in my Mother Martha character.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mark Mason's No Tear Kidz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL