The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » 1 or 2 thimble routine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of glatner
Hi, I'm a close up woorker, and I want to get into thimbles, I looked in tarbell, but his routine requires 16 thimbles and some clothing alterations, does anyone know a good manuscript with just 1 or 2 thimbles?

thanks

gabe
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I don't know of any such routine but if you already know the sleights...

A one thimble routine would likely consist of a series of vanishes, productions and maybe a tranposition.

A two thimble routine might add transpositions, penetrations or maybe some color changes or a transformation to a jumbo thimble.

If you buy a set you can include multiplications and other stuff. All works close up.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I have a 1 thimble routine that came from a combination of manipulations that I learned on Shimada's DVD and McBride's manipulation DVD along with a few books and pamphlets.

My single thimble routine uses a nested thimble. So basically it's vanishes and productions, and multiplications.

I've never seen a single thimble routine in print, but you can create your own by looking for 'Thimble Manipulation" resources rather than "Thimble Magic".
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Check out Joe Morgar's lecture notes that has some simple routines. He also wrote a book that has dozen's of routines.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
Joe Mogar's book "Digital Effects," written by Steve Beam, has everything you'll need.

Included are some great mini-routines and pieces that can be stitched together. (Also some things that will taunt you forever.)
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I open with a sort of tongue-in-cheek one thimble routine. A "pop" sound vanish, a take-off on an old-fashioned pretentious jump with a silk, then "the world's fastest trick", which I learned from Johnny "Ace" Palmer, and ending with a continuous production of thimbles put into the pocket.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-12-19 18:43, Conus wrote:
"...Joe Mogar's book "Digital Effects," written by Steve Beam, has everything you'll need...."

Bingo.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pete's Peeper, from Ken Brooke. One regular thimble, comedy moves and it stretches into a six inch long thimble for a kicker. See if http://www.stevensmagic.com still has any. Maybe I need to start making them again?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DrVG
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2005, Pete Biro wrote:
Pete's Peeper, from Ken Brooke. One regular thimble, comedy moves and it stretches into a six inch long thimble for a kicker. See if http://www.stevensmagic.com still has any. Maybe I need to start making them again?

As of 2022 it doesn t seem to be on Stevensmagic anymore.

I m also interested to find some ressources about Bruce s Cervon routine, any leads ?

thanks
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1548 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Cervon's routine uses a set of 4 nesting thimbles (two thimble and their outer shells) . and a set of 4 thimbles... the second group (4 thimbles) doesn't have to be nesting... but could be.
various companies make them, incl., Vernet.
When you buy te nesting thimbles, they include various simple routines,
visit me @ JNealShow.com
DrVG
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, JNeal wrote:
Cervon's routine uses a set of 4 nesting thimbles (two thimble and their outer shells) . and a set of 4 thimbles... the second group (4 thimbles) doesn't have to be nesting... but could be.
various companies make them, incl., Vernet.
When you buy te nesting thimbles, they include various simple routines,

Much appreciate your kind reply. I am new to this discipline and really enjoyed the simple visual appeal of this routine. very smooth
https://www.magicana.com/video/bruce-cervon-stand-magic fbclid=IwAR1anBsWWBFzDfAVILP46a7pYyLurUzROa96gqKeElv6qw7jFDYuJcdVp_A
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Cervon does a very nice vanish in that routine, using the nesting thimbles. It is simple and clean... very good routine
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
296 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
JNeal and DrVG, Thank you for making me aware of Bruce Cervon’s routine. I had never heard of it. That vanish is wonderful! Funny after purchasing a set of Vernet thimbles I came up with what I thought were some original ideas a few years back. I realize my handling is still a bit different but nowhere near as original as I had previously thought! Nowhere near as smooth and elegant as Mr Cervon’s either! Here it is just for comparison:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHNL5nUDao
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes, in order to see what exactly is going on... requires repeat viewing!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1627 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Jean Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual", which is public domain and available as a free download, although you should be able to get it in paperback.

If you can find a copy, Walter Gibson's "Complete Illustrated Book of Close-Up Magic".

Barry
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1302 Posts

Profile of Jerry
JNeal - do you know if Bruce Cervon ever explained his thimble routine? If so, which book, magazine, lecture note or DVD.
Thanx.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » 1 or 2 thimble routine (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL