The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Don't leave home without it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
As a mentalist what items do you never leave home without, meaning items to allow you to perform on the spot.

I have search this on the Café but have mainly found comments in the magicians sections.

I am trying to train myself to keep a few item on me for that "oh yeah show us" type situation, as I have been caught a couples times now on this.

I am guessing a NW to start with , also some help on suggested effects that work well in an impromptu setting?

Regards

Steve

BTW Happy Easter - thought I would be the first to get that in.
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
301 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
A billet peek or center tear allows you to carry nothing and just used borrowed items (pen & paper). That's one reason I like them so much. Many memory demonstrations are prop free, too. Even the booktest I use most frequently is impromptu and involves a borrowed book. I do carry my Himber wallet with me, however, since I use it as my regular wallet.

Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Pencil &/or pen, paper, wallet. And my hotel key, if I want to get back into my room without any fuss.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
NW, Business cards, small pad for PCT etc., pen, sometimes my spider pen or loops, stealth wallet .....and my brain where I have stored all the beauty impromptu effects.

As mentioned many times in similar threads. You can find books paper and pens anywhere and so you instantly could entertain for about 30 min. or more with Ct, peeks, book tests, predicitons etc.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Exactly Thomas. With a piece of paper, pen, and a bit of nous, you should have enough for a full routine.

A few to spring to mind:
CT
Osterlind watch routine
PK Time
PK Touches
Memory routines
Muscle reading
The list goes on and on.....

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Just for info. My actual 2hour stage show I did last thursday in theatre (certain effects can change sometimes) just consisted of following items:

pad of paper, pens, envelopes, normal books, paper basket, blindfold, normal bags, ordinary spoons and forks and playing cards.

The only secred devices I used were spider pen, teleport envelope, Thumb Tip, NW, Invisible deck

But the visible items all are ordinary items to the audience. So with just these few things I did a 2 hour show and the people, including a representative from another theatre, have been amazed and I even had to do two more effects at the end.

So I just want to show that with a few ordinary objects and some basic secret devices you even can create an amazing full evening show.

Greetings
Thomas

www.der-mentalist.net
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

BTW Simon, great list of effects. The list indeed could go on much longer. These effects really are killer effects and often you can borrow the items.

IMO effets with less props or some normal looking props at least very often get more amazing reactions than any effects with big boxes or some other devices.

Thomas

www.der-mentalist.net
suhbreal
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
87 Posts

Profile of suhbreal
As Thomas pointed out, I never bother with taking the real ordinary stuff out with me. you'll always find an abundance of bits of paper and writing utensils around. I prefer to be prepared otherwise. NW, two decks of cards, always including a marked deck (boris wild is my preference) and one in a stack with a peek built in. my wallet and my watch (which I would have anyway). between those things and the stuff you will find, the possibilities just seem endless
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Business cards and a pen. I don't realy need them, but they make the act look bigger.

Tony
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
I don't leave without clean underwear (perfect for doing a center tear if the need arises).

-Carlos
Cognite tute
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1048 Posts

Profile of sbays
As stated above ... Paper, pen, NW my SUC. Trust me, that's enough!!
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
I actually don't own a wallet ( well a gimmick one anyway) I have seen so many theads on them, but I have only every seen the routine banacheck performed with the invisable palmtop. but everyone has mentioed it. any reading or dvd anyone could suggest to expand my knowledge on routines using a wallet?

regards

steve
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
THE ONLY THING I TAKE WITH ME these days is my mind.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I don't have my own business cards but I do carry other people's cards so I can perform a special peek I know. It always works wonders, I love it.

Anabelle
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
I carry a super sharpie sometimes--I want to get to the point where I can just do pen and paper.....I am new to the whole mental game.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
I always, ALWAYS take my MOABT with me - doesn't get better!

JZ
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 03:29, Josh Zandman wrote:
I always, ALWAYS take my MOABT with me - doesn't get better!

And nobody ever wonders when you are gonna finish reading that book?
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Small pad of paper, pen, cards, TT, buisness cards, NW (if I havn't lost it)
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
moosemanty
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of moosemanty
Well where ever I go I have loops on. and I prepare my arm for the ash on the arm effect(along with that trick I always carry a pen,paper,cards,and a lighter)and of course some coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Don't leave home without it (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL