The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Will communications technology finish mentalism off? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
As communications technology gets smaller, more digital, and completely wireless, will the presence of tiny and/or implantable headphones and microphones do damage to the field of mentalism?

While I realize that such technology will not replace showmanship, won't these advances blur the line between mindreading and technology within the reach of the public?
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Most of the pro's out there, has known what Im about to say for quite some time, its beginning to spread. And I do realise some of these people will now want me dead. But mentalism is a sinking boat, and the plan is to evacuate at the last minute and start to do rope magic. that will be the new "thing". Yes, its a frightening thought, but unfortunately true...

Daniel Young
;)
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Yea that is what they said 50 years ago
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Well said Magicman.
Of course there could be effects where audience suspect tiny micros etc. Some people always want to have a possible explanation. Even in the 50s and 60s at Dunningers times there have been people who suspected that Dunninger has invented a brand nwe ground breaking tiny micro. Absolute nonsens in those times but that`s human nature.

Well in my show and in most of the effects mentalists perform such an explanation never would be appropriate and thus mentalism is absolutely no sinking ship of course.

The opposite is true. Especially here in Austria "normal" magic is getting less interesting and mentalism instead is getting more and more appreciated by the audiences as I see every time I perform at coporates or in my actuyl theatre-show.

So again the most important part of a successfull presentation still and fortunately lies in presentaional skill of performer. If i.e. you are perfect at billet work NO ONE ever will suspect you of using such little electronics since it would be absurd.

BUt of course I also know some performer where most of the effects rely on electronic gimmicks. And since some of the gimmicks are build in boxes and so one he uses much of these and of course there will always be people suspecting him of electronics.....and in this case they are right!

So I just wanted to show that if you learn the basic techniques of mentalism well you will have good and amazing material for the next 20 years or more.

Just my thoughts
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1583 Posts

Profile of Markymark
If you can make people care why you are doing what you do then they will not really care what method you use.Well a few people always want to know but there are too many young 'mentalists' with NO character.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Well said brother.....couldnt have put it better.RRRRRRRRRRespect.
E.O.I
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Good point Markymark!!

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
I suggest you read Protocols of the Elders of Magic by Max Maven if you can get your hands on it. Its secret will help you answer your question...
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Heh.
"With the advent of electromagnets, will anyone believe a mentalist can perform telekinesis?"

"With the advent of lasers, will anyone believe a magician can produce fire from his fingertips?"
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
I don't believe the magical landscape negatively changed as a result of the legendary wizardry of Anverdi.

It is still critical that the proper atmosphere of belief be established between the performer and the audience.

Renaldi
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
Just do what Derren Brown does, stick your ears in their face and go "look, no transmitters here!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Will communications technology finish mentalism off? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL