The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Finally, a spotlight on the feminine side of magic! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
News from the all magic guide:

Dorothy Dietrich, Melinda and Maritess Zurbano are featured in a JANE Magazine article that looks at the state of women in magic. Dietrich talked about her performance of the dangerous bullet catch at an IBM convention and Zurbano recounted several, less than respectful, incidents with male magicians. A majority of the article takes place back stage at Lance Burton's show where the writer joined his crew of female assistants for a few days and even helped on stage. The article concluded, "Unfortunately, I never came close to finding a female David Blaine. In fact, I'm more discouraged than I was when I started… Not even the women who try to compromise by dressing sexy while doing large-scale tricks get the kinds of opportunities offered to the traditional male-in-a-tux show." The article also features many small photographs of the magicians and assistants involved. Esther Haynes' article titled "Girl, We Want To Wear G-Strings!" appears on pages 134-137 of the December issue of JANE magazine.(11/10)
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
swerdnase
View Profile
New user
Michigan
15 Posts

Profile of swerdnase
Hi:
Do you know what happened to Melinda? Where is she now and is she still performing?
I love this stuff!

Tim

tim@insidemagic.com
www.insidemagic.com
filmyak
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
150 Posts

Profile of filmyak
IceRaven,
what is that magazine? I'm not aware of it. And do they have an online version?
(I was confused at first... "janes" (www.janes.com) is a magazine devoted to politics and military. I assume we ain't talking about the same thing. Smile
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
575 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I have no idea where Melinda is or what happened to her after she left the Venetian. Here's the website I got the news from:
http://www.allmagicguide.com/
You should be able to find it in their archives.

I've never heard of the magazine, either.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I'd seen the magazine around, but never read it until I noticed they had the magic article. I grabbed up a copy from the local Barnes and Noble especially because it had Dorthy in it and she has been a good friend and wonderful person that I don't get to see often. I also use these stories to encourage young students I teach. I felt the article good, but I think the writer had and agenda to make a point about woman being the "underdogs." No doubt men have far out numbered woman in this craft, but those numbers are rapidly changing. It's not really fair to search for the "female Blaine" because there isn't another "male Blaine" either. Even so, there are a number of woman "stars" of magic. Calculate the percentage of how many woman are serious about magic with the number who have risin to the top and compare that to the number of men who do the same and it might be surprising...woman might be more succesful percentage wise. I'm sure Juliana Chen could rival Blaine if she chose that route.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Finally, a spotlight on the feminine side of magic! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL