The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Super sharpie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
867 Posts

Profile of boydy
Does anyone have a super sharpie?
And do you find that the gimmick is quite loose. Should it be this loose?
By loose, I mean that the slightest nudge will cause it to come of the end if you know what I mean.
I just got it on Saturday and it came out the packet this way.

Is this the way it should be?

Boyd
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I have one and mine works just fine. I love it though I don't use it much. And I'm not sure I know what you mean, do you mean the ink part or the whole thing in the end?

Anabelle
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
867 Posts

Profile of boydy
Yeah, it's the whole thing on the end. It wobbles about quite a lot and feels really delicate.

Boydy
suhbreal
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
87 Posts

Profile of suhbreal
Not sure which is worse. mine is nearly impossible to remove. I'd love to use this but I just can't get it to work easily enough. it was a real let down to me, as it's truly a great tool. I'm sure that a lot of them work just fine, since I've read great reviews on them but I'm not about to spend another 30 bucks on one to find out.
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Well, I have ordered one yesterday and should receive it this week. So I will give my review as soon as possible. Looking forward trying it since it could be quite helpful sometimes regarding some other reviews on this.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
I have found that the gimmick's writing doesn't quite match that of the actual Sharpie -- the line is noticably thinner. I'm curious whether this has been a problem for anyone else.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Chris at Magic Smith will almost certainly help out with a Super Sharpie gaff that is too tight or not tight enough. Both are problems. I've had a too-loose model, and he replaced it free of charge.

The line thickness can be adjusted the way you'd adjust line thickness on the Sharpie's actual nib. It can be mashed, trimmed or replaced with an actual nib for a closer match.

Personally, I'll carry the Super Sharpie and/or a Dalal-SG & golf pencil and alternate. It keeps me in practice with both, and psychologically reduces the significance of the gaff in my mind, which I hope translates to less suspicious body language on my part. Plus, I just like using both.

Magically yours,

Jim Kawashima
Kindred
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Kindred
Suhbreal,
Howdy.
Mine was so tight I could barely get it off when I purchased it. I rubbed the pen section ever so slightly with fine grit sandpaper- and slightly in the cap area itself. Now it works great. Just be careful you don't sand too much- or it would get too loose. Great item- because its self contained- and they can burn your hands after and there is nothing to see. I carry it alot!
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
867 Posts

Profile of boydy
Chris at Magicsmith recomended epoxy to tighten the end a bit. I live in the uk and have never heard of epoxy? What is it? a super glue?
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Epoxy and super glue is not the same.
Epoxy is a two component glue, where one component is resin and one component is a hardener. When these two are mixed, the glue starts to harden. This can be used to fill gaps, glue things together, and it becomes very, very hard. Look for "Epoxy Resins" in your hardware store.

"Super Glue" or "Krazy Glue" is normally a reference to cyanoacrylate based glue;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate
This is hardened when the surfaces are pressed together and "airtight". This glue feels a bit oily, and will not create any substantial volume. In contrary to resin based glue.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4290 Posts

Profile of Daegs
A note but expoxy and glue would be used to fix the nib in the end, rather than the end itself...
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
867 Posts

Profile of boydy
Fixed it with a few drops of super glue. Waited till it hardened then gently filed it down with a peace of fine sand paper. works a treat. Now I feel a bit more confident because you need more of a pull to get the end off.

Boyd
Bob Saget Rocks
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Bob Saget Rocks
This has interested me since it was released! but is it really worth it? Meaning...how difficult is it to pull off? I know the secret for the most part, but I've never used the marker.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
The ones I have played with in the magic shop in Sdney all work fine

they are not all loose or too tight

they are the exception rather than the rule

and you do have to practice a bit to get the writing down --- the dvd helps

but the main problem I had was moving it between letters but it's getting much easier with practice
Mozart
View Profile
New user
Rochester, MN
80 Posts

Profile of Mozart
I've used one for about a year. The gimmick is just about perfect -- not too loose or tight -- but I'd really like to find a black-colored replacement for the blu-tack. Any suggestions?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Mozart:What I did was purchase a Black Sharpie "Paint" marker.These are available in most art supply stores.I painted the tiny ball of blue tac with the paint marker several times rolling it between my fingers until it was a very,very dark blue(almost black).I have found that the paint marker does not take away the stickyness of the blue tac as much as a regular Sharpie ink does.
It will seem a little messy,but fret not,the paint washes off your fingers easier than regular sharpie ink.Nobody will notice anything if you do it as I said.You may have to repeat the process if you use it a lot.Best.

Rich
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
677 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I actually mixed a "tiny bit" of Magician's wax in with the blu tack and even when I colored it with regular sharpie it was still nice and sticky. I like mine.
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
934 Posts

Profile of nique
Anyone has any idea how to change the tip on the writer once it wears out? Just a problem I'm anticipating since I use this so often.
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
Bob Saget Rocks
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Bob Saget Rocks
Quote:
On 2006-01-21 21:50, nique wrote:
Anyone has any idea how to change the tip on the writer once it wears out? Just a problem I'm anticipating since I use this so often.

agreed, I just ordered mine,......and I recieved a dried out marker! Those ***s.....It can't write anything.
hypnotize
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of hypnotize
DO NOT overlook the Super Sharpie. What an awesome tool!!! so much better than the regular swami.

When I recieved mine, it was also dried out. I started to worry about that, maybe it was defective or something like that. So I bought a regular sharpie and replaced the ink of the Super Sharpie. Worked like a charm! Don't know why I recieved it in this condition. If you replace the ink, note that it takes some time for the new one to saturate into the "head". Just let the Super Sharpie rest vertically a few moments and you are set. then make a couple of turns to the "head" while he is still in place. That's how I replace inks.

How to make a new "head": Already did that. I bought a sharpie and cut its head with a knife. Surprised?
Works great.
BTW - I am thinking of creating my own Super Sharpie. I don't like the wax idea so much, when you write somehthing with it, the gimmick is quite loose on the finger's tip (wax is new).

Hypnotize.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Super sharpie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL