The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Derek Dingle's Complete Works » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
On my shelf is a copy of The Complete Works of Derek Dingle (alternatively titled "Derek Dingle's Complete Works" -- go figure). I bought it enthusiastically, am proud to own it, but do not use it at all. I think I purchased it earlier in my career than I should have; I find that the material is pretty demanding, not so much in terms of knuckle-busting but in the sense that the tricks are complicated and often require you to remember lots of details about when and how to hold many different breaks, etc. This makes them hard to remember unless you use them often, or so it seemed to me.

Anyway, I'm writing to ask any aficianados of this book what they consider the best, most usable material it contains. Thoughts?

Thanks!

KF
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
After reading your first sentence I thought I was just hoping you were going to sell this book. Unfortunately........ Smile

I'm also curious about the practicality of the content of the Complete works of Derek Dingle. Can anyone share their opinion?
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Of all the great routines, sleights, etc., in this truly wonderful book, I have used Dingle's pressure fan "think of a card" effect consistently through the years. I added a couple of personal touches to his handling, and I have a lot of fun with this effect, which always elicits a great response from my audience.

Dingle's coins across using an expanded shell is another winning routine from this book.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There are very few books, especially of this size, about which one can say that every routine in the book is worth serious study. About this book, it's true.

The question is more "what would you like to know about?" rather than "what's good in theis book?" It's all good. Much of it's classic.

You like simple, hard-hitting quick card effects? Try the card under glass, Quick D-Way, Open Sesame, Color Triumphant, and Regal Royal Flush or Everywhere and Nowhere in the air.

Looking to tackle card effects that have become neoclassics? You must study "Roll Over Aces"; "Ambitious Classic"; and "The Derek Dingle Fabulous Jumping Card trick".

Looking for coin effects that have become standards? The shelled coins across, ("Quicksilver?") The Copper/Silver/Brass routine with the silent steal, "Inflation", "Crystallized Coins up the Sleeve", and his assemblies and the coins through the table approaches.

Would you like a standup piece that packs small, plays big, is inherently funny and has an applause-cue ending? Learn his "Card in Balloon"

Want stuff to crush the souls of your fellow magicians? It's in there, too. I won't tell you which, finding that sort of thing should take effort.

And, as Joe has mentioned, if all you learn in the work on the fan "force" and the revelation from the card case, you've got something solid that you can work on for the rest of your career.

But don't take my word for it. Read the book.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Everything Curtis said, plus "Royal Triumph" (or something to that effect...I don't have the book handy right now.)

Kermit: Just go work through the whole book. Every item is worth at least trying. It's like a buffet...several items are going to be the ones you go back to the second time around. But this buffet will be tied for "Best in Town".

Curtis: Or is it "Best in Country"? Smile

Steve H Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Derek Dingle was considered by many to have been the best sleight of hand guy at that time. Lots of Derek's routines ended up in other magicians repertoires.

As Curtis mentioned, Rollover Aces is a classic. Michael Ammar performs a version where he is racing against the clock and it is sensational.

Darwin Ortiz based his "Regal Aces" on Dingle's "regal Royal Flush". He also created "Ultimate Interchange" based on a Dingle effect.

Although I do not use the routines from this book (not yet), Derek created some powerful magic and his routines are involved but usually well thought out.

If you are looking for something that requires little practice time, this is not the book. If you are looking for a powerful book to help inspire you to create some terrific routines, hold on to it and periodically go through it. You may not like it now, but 10 years from now you may love it.
ME
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have to join the bandwagon here. This is a truly wonderful book, and it would be difficult if not impossible to find one effect in it that wouldn't be, if you'll pardon the cliche, a reputation-maker when performed well. Great, great stuff!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Can't add anything that hasn't already been said here, except I feel every serious magic library should have a copy upon the shelves. Classic magic indeed. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
Thanks, gang! It's great to have encouragement as I dust this book off and prepare to engage with it -- and especially great to have encouragement from such illustrious magical minds as have seen fit to reply here.
Toby Traylor
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Toby Traylor
Perhaps you hit the proverbial nail on the head when you said, "I purchased it earlier in my career than I should have". To me the beauty of Derek Dingle is his melding of different techniques and his construction of his effects! There is a wealth of information within those pages and very well could seem "overwhelming" to the novice practitioner. Study, disect, rearange; don't just learn the effects. study their construction and there flow and use that information to further your own technique.

Toby
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Ok then. I'm convinced. This is actually THE book I'm looking for. I'm gonna get this soon.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I recommend it: some easy stuff and not-so-easy stuff. Check out Coins Across and Card Under Glass
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Also check out his ungaffed Universal Card effect. His version of the BoTop Change is wonderful.

BTW...Derek is lecturing in NYC this Saturday (Nov.23rd) as part of the Magic on Manhattan convention. If you're in town you should check it out! See you there. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Too Many Cards & Poor Charlie. Though there are many others. The above two however, are ones I have used a lot.

The book is a modern classic of magic, and one your book shelf should not be without.

Iain.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I just purchased this book last week and it is tremendous. Much of it I will need to grow into(and Im happy to do so), but it's a classic of magic and essential reading.

Also, the illustrations by Richard Kaufman are outstanding.

This book is becoming increasingly difficult to find and is currently out-of-print, so if you see it, you might want to pick up a copy.
Drive Carefully
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Dollar for dollar, it's the best magic investment I've ever made - period. Brimming with wisdom and hidden gems... Imagine a visual MID-AIR copper/silver change as the coin is tossed from hand-to-hand. Now imagine ending essentially clean, with only a single examinable coin. It's in there - along with a million others...! (I've gleefully killed magicians with that one.)
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I showed my oldest child Dingle's Everywhere and Nowhere when she was five years old (using a five of hearts) -- she giggled; she laughed; she asked to see it again, and again, and AGAIN. I've gone through three children who have ALL decided that it their favorite magic trick of all time.

How can you beat that?

Miracle Mental Spell and Master Poker Demonstration are simply mind-blowing (and not as difficult as "Rollover Aces" -- unless you use a Stripper Deck Smile )

Lots of material to keep anyone going.

regards, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I agree with Iain,Too Many Cards is a great little trick from the book that is not too hard to learn if that is what you are looking for.

There are some easier tricks in the book too, its not all advanced work!
Drive Carefully
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
The first item in the book... Supersonic cards across...wonderful... And you feel so good after you do it...
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
The Dingle book was one of my first hardcore card books. I too bought it earlier than I probably should have but I was a "coin guy" back then and there wasn't much good coin magic in print after Bobo's and COINMAGIC.

The book is responsible with my 20-year obsession with two plots: The Edward Victor Eleven Card Trick (The Derek Dingle Fabulous Jumping Card Trick) and The Ambitious Classic (Too Many Cards). Both are great tricks but you may or may not be ready to understand them.

Any and all of the tricks in the book are worth study but not all for the same reasons. The lessons are not all the same.

Perhaps the best course is to simply read the book, like a book, without cards or coins in your hands, and see what "speaks" to you. You'll learn best by finding what you're able to understand and studying that. If others tell you what to study you may not get the real lesson of the material.

There's a reason that The Derek Dingle ("That's me!") Fabulous Jumping Card trick is the last item in the book. It's the most important lesson...but not everyone is ready to learn it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Derek Dingle's Complete Works » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL