The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Methods for forcing a number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
86 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
For a nice, simple presentation of the effect Richard Osterlind mentioned in his post, check out "Birthday Telepathy" (page 29) in Michael Skinner's Classic Sampler, or Paul Curry's "Padding" from World's Beyond (page 157). This is a very nice impromptu effect and good over the phone, too.

Hope it helps,
Christopher
Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
86 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
Ps. Another quick way of forcing a specific number is to use flash cards and do a hindu shuffle force.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
This is all great advice. Although I feel that by using cards, number cards and so on, one is compromising in the wrong area. This is visual compromise.
For the date on the coin effect I really only have to make them choose a 2 digit number. They know the coin is 19 something. They also know the coin is 1990 something. So it's only a number between 0 and 10. Making it a 1 digit number. Could I narrow the chose down by naming dates? Would that make them go for another date? Or would that make them go for the date I named?
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 09:10, Richard Osterlind wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-19 23:29, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Hello there,

Can anyone point me toward some sources for having a specific number in mind, and then having a participant say it, without them knowing you were forcing it on them?

Thanks,

Josh,

You may be looking for a quick effect and, if so, this is not the one then. But, a very old effect that I will often remember and throw in and always hits home is this:

You write a prediction. You then have a person call out various numbers and dates. It all seems random but, when they are legitimately added up, it matches your prediction!

The method is the prediction is twice the current year plus another number such as 25 or 19 or something like that. During the questioning you ask what his birthdate is, how old he is, when his anniversary is and how long has he been married. Now, you can see this adds up to twice the current year or one less if he hasn't celebrated his birthday yet. Which gets us to the second point. You still have to add in numbers to get to the additional number you put in. So you say to the person, "What month were you born in?" If he says, "May", you say, "OK let's add 5." Not only does this give you an additional number, but tells you whether or not he has already celebrated his birthday yet or not! Now you might say, "Name a number from 1 to 10". If it is low you can do it again. You keep track of the total of these numbers and when you are just a small number away - let's say 5 - you might say, "OK, there are 5 of us at the table, let's add 5!" If you need 4 you can say, "OK, there are 4 of you at the table with me, let's add 4". If you need 8 you might say, "OK, let's throw in a completely random number. I count 8 windows in here, so add in 8"! You can always come up with enough ways to get to your predicion!

Of course, you have to break up and spread out the questions so that the birthdate and age is not together. The same for the anniversary. And ... there is more. Let's say you ask the person when they were born. So you put in that date. Later you ask the person if they have any brothers or sisters and you might put in that number. Then you might ask if they are older or younger than them and you ask them how old! See? Now you can add in their brother or sister's age instead of their own! (That makes it seem even more impossible later!) You also have to add or subtract the difference from the number you are shooting for.

With a little thought and effort you can use numbers that cannot be discerned even with a careful scrutiny later!

Richard

I have a question to this trick if I may. I do not understand "The method is the prediction is twice the current year plus another number such as 25 or 19 or something like that."
so my pattern is: I make a prediction and write it down. and it has to be twice the current year + 25 or 19? so now we ave 2005, then I double it = 4010 , I add 25 or 19, lets say 19 , makes a total of 4029. am I correct so far? now I will ask him several questions to reach my 4029? when I ask him for his birthday and he answers 16.06.1972 which numbers do I use? I understood the priciple of this effect and it is great. I reach my number through some random numbers the spectator gives me like important dates in his life. but I don't understand the things above.
can someone make a little example or pm it?

thank you all!
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Memory-Jah

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. You ask him for the "year" he/she was born. That, plus his age will equal the current year or one less if he hasn't celebrated his birthday yet.

But you can make it even simpler. If you know the "approximate age" of someone, you can use that and other things. Let me give a "for-instance".

Let's say you see someone who looks to you like about 35 years old. That would put his birth year at 1970. Now you might want to use the year his car is. So you pick 2003. Then you pick the year 2000 for the birth year of a child. To all this you add 40. So your prediction is 6013.

Now you find someone about 35 and ask them their birth year. Next you find a younger couple with some children. You also ask someone who looks somewhat prominent, what year his car is. As you write these things down you must keep a running record in your head as to how far off you were with your guess. This figure (not the running total, but the DIFFERENCE in what you thought and what they say) is either added or subtracted to the 40 you also added in. This presentation completely gets away from the older effect.

Richard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 19:24, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Thanks so much for all the replies. Mr. Osterlind, you're right that I need a quicker method for this particular effect I'm working on, but I'll store that one away and take it out some other time, for sure.

Josh

Josh,

I understand. Slim King is certainly right about Martin Garder. Speaking of him, I sure hope you have his Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic! That is one of my most favorite books.

Now I get what you are looking for. I think if I needed something like that, I would use a book. If you do a book test at some point, that makes it even better. They are laying there, you need a number, so why not use it? There are so many ways to force a page. You can just stick your finger in the book and riffle to it. You CAN use a book that is gimmicked with all the page numbers alike.
(By the way, GusVanNostrum's post stands for Ultimate Flashback)

BUT ... and I never thought of this before until someone mentioned it here recently on the Café), you can make a "corner short" page in a book and force the page like you would a "short page". This is a wonderful idea and cannot fail!

For the record, if you don't know this, you can purchase a "corner trimmer" which is used in scrap booking at Walmart's or any hobby store. These are PERFECT for making corner short cards and corner short pages in a book!

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Methods for forcing a number (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL