The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I Practice While I Drive (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
617 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
TJO,

You forgot to mention about:
- people who eat while driving
- people who adjust the climate control while driving
- people who adjust the volume control while driving
- people who change a radio station while driving
- people who look at a map while driving
- people who wave at someone they know while driving

I have also played my harmonica while driving, but one hand on the wheel and one hand on the harmonics.

I find nothing wrong with palming a coin while driving. It's not distracting and since both my cars are manual, I usually have one hand on the shifter and one on the wheel anyways. So all of you people that say you always keep both of your hands on the wheel at all times, I better not ever see you with even a pinky off your wheel. Just my opinion though. Smile
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never said BOTH HANDS ON WHEEL> now did I?

I don't care what else distracts people......this discussion is about CARDS and precticing......

I don't care what else people do.....it is not the topic now is it......and does it make practicing cards more right? HECK NO!!!!!

it is still stupid and wrong......period.....don't try to mitigate the issue by bringing up irrelivant issues......my point is CORRECT......

try to live with killing a kid because you just HAD to get that pass right.....

the coin seems harmless to me......I never said otherwise now did I?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
617 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Woah geez Danny, I never accused you of saying "both hands..." no need to use CAPS!! I was referring to anyone else that said something like, "you should keep both hands on the wheel while driving". I agree with you that some people probably don't pay enough attention while driving.

I believe our purpose for bringing up the other activities while driving was not to change the topic or be bringing up irrelevant issues, but to point out that even people who aren't practicing card magic do PLENTY of other things that are equally as distracting and can potentially cause accidents. "Ohh officer, I was only practicing a card sleight, I didn't mean to hit that pedestrian." sounds just as dumb as, "Ohh officer, I was only changing the CD in my radio, I didn't mean to hit that pedestrian." We weren't trying to justify or say it is OK to do card magic while driving.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to argue with you or anyone about the topic.

Just curious how do other people feel about one-handed sleights, like a fan or Charlier cuts or one-handed top palms, etc...? Basically, things that you can do without looking at your hand and without using any attention toward the action and keeping one hand on the wheel?

Tom Kracker
My website
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope your not asking me.......

but in case you are it is almost as stupid......it is more your attention being distracted......not so much your lack of hands that is the real issue....

ask a judge....maybe that will help.....

maybe the words "vehicular homicide" mean something....

criminally negligant.......yea another phrase that MAY apply here.....
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I remember Jay Sankey states that he strengthened finger fitness while driving using some sort of Chinese therapy ball in 22 Blow To The Head!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
617 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
They were kinda more rhetorical questions, just for people to think about.

This isn't necessarily directed at you Danny, just asking everyone in general:
Just curious then, can you honestly say that you always have 100% of your attention to the road and your driving, every time you drive?

Also, there is no need to ask a judge or a police officer or any law official. Yes, if you kill someone while being distracted while driving is bad, against the law, homicide, a crime, negligent, and whatever other way you want to label it. However, do you honestly, truthfully believe that every judge and police officer drives with 100% of their attention, every time they drive? ...keep in mind, they are human too.

Evolve, I also have a hand gripper for strengthening my hand in my car. Of course, I wouldn't use it during really busy traffic, only with no one else around me, or during a dead stop traffic jam to keep myself from falling asleep. LOL (and my attention is still on the road)

Tom Kracker
My website
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Danny - I agree with you. I admit in my post up above I made a joke (Queen - but that song rocks). But I believe in making jokes about serious stuff to some degree. It's just my way - and the way of any standup comic I've ever seen.

It would suck if anyone caused an accident by practicing cards while driving. It would indeed be a tragedy. I think that's sort of a moot point, and one that was made 2 or 3 posts into this thread. We all know that.

It is important to remember that there are a lot of events and things that people do while driving that are commonplace which are just as dangerous as practicing 1 handed cuts and the like. I think Tom made the same point up above. Whenever anyone starts paying more attention to something other than the road, we're all in trouble.
tjo'
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Deja Vu!
Russ, I made this admission (practicing while driving) a few years ago, and got quite a negative response...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27
I even made the claim that driving while talking on the cell phone is more dangerous, but that arguement was contested too. Since I have had several close calls with idiots on cell phones almost hitting me, I still say that a fool on a phone is a much bigger danger than a magician holding a coin in classic palm. Nowadays, the only thing I do while driving, is coin rolls. I only drive with one hand anyway, and coin rolls require no real attention to the hand, so I can concentrate on the road. It's really more of a way to kill the boredom of the SAME 70 minute drive to and from work each day.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Oh no I would agree that cell phones are not a smart thing while driving. I think we have all seen the guy driving coming close to hitting everybody on the road. You assume that the guy must be drunk or something. You hit the gas peddle to fly past him and you noticed that the guy is talking on the phone and trying to jot down notes at the same time. My point is that cars are dangerous and when driving we should be doing just that... Driving.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My point as well

lets not get caught up in what others do it does not matter what the judge does. I if YOU do it its stupid, if he does it it is stupid

Point is really that a car is a dangerous instrument period. Eating drinking looking for a CD any of these things are horrible to do while attempting to drive.

Cell phones are horrible and have been banned unless a hands free device is employed in many places for good reason

if the coin roll is done it is just as bad. I don't care how many hands you drive with your attention is sitll partly on the coin sorry

the only real point is cars are terribly dangerous. we lose more people to them every year than we did in 9/11. to say nothing of people hurt perminantly

so please when you drive, just drive and live with the bordome. otherwise you are risking killing somene to aleviate your boredome.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Russell Moore
View Profile
New user
Auburn Alabama
20 Posts

Profile of Russell Moore
I must admit that I practice certain things while driving, and cards sleights are one of them. I usually do one handed manipulations, but I can think of few times that I have done a quick steer with my knees and did something with both hands. I've actually gotten out of a speeding ticket by showing the officer a card trick (I did a version of Mark Mason Think of a card.) Not that should excuse me for practicing while I drive. I also practice patter and coin tricks as well...... I guess my optimistic outlook doesn't allow me to see the bad consequences.... Oh well. The show must go on.
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
I do one handed things, such as coin palms/rolls, and backpalming cards. And my attention is always on the road...
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Man Russell. I am glad that we a long ways away. People with your carelessness freak me right out. If my kid was killed because somebody was trying to figure out that next great coin, or card move. I would hunt that person down till the ends of my days.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I hope we all drive more carefully as well as having our attention on the other drivers. Particular situations and conditions might warrant one's practicing but how much control do you really have in and out of trance states while driving? While I appreciate dedication and desire to improve mechanics, it's still safer for all not to be operating heavy machinery while bettering one's self magically.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
675 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
You know that feeling when you're just starting to nod off behind the wheel? You can try playing the radio really loud, or you can roll down the window, or you can start pinching yourself in the thigh, you can even pull over and buy a cup of coffee, but NOTHING wakes you up like taking your driver-side mirror off on a bridge abutment.

P.S. to Russ (are you even still reading this?): No, I have never practiced my card sleights while driving, but I have actually practiced Pinnacle!
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 20:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
I don't care what else distracts people......this discussion is about CARDS and precticing......

I don't care what else people do.....it is not the topic now is it.....

Oh, but it is. If you have never smoked, had anything to eat or drink, turned on the radio, put in a CD, talked on the cell phone, or had an engaging converstion with a passenger while driving, I guess you'd have some moral authority to call people stupid for practicing their charlier cuts during a long and boring commute. But personally I don't know of anybody who has that moral authority.

Posted: Dec 22, 2005 2:50pm
Quote:

On 2005-12-22 11:40, chichi711 wrote:
Man Russell. I am glad that we a long ways away. People with your carelessness freak me right out. If my kid was killed because somebody was trying to figure out that next great coin, or card move. I would hunt that person down till the ends of my days.

Would you hunt down the thousands of people who might kill your kid while talking on a cell phone? Or putting on their makeup? Or lighting a cigarette?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4768 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Which reminds me of a joke I credit to Aldo Colombini: When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, and not like his screaming passengers.
Peace and drive safely. Smile
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
Larry, I have not laughed that hard in a while!
I will definnitely be telling that to my players tonight!!
Thanks for sharing.
MXRay

Posted: Dec 22, 2005 3:08pm
I am not making light of the seriousness of driving safely. I just thaink that is a hilarious joke!
MXRay
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
There's nothing like a close call to wake one up to the responsibility & dangers of driving. High School: I'm in the back seat of my friend's dad's car. There are 5 of us in the car. We're flying down back road somewhere in the country. He has the radio cranked and is screaming along, not thinking about the road. Me and the guys in the back are telling him to slow down. He is getting more into the music, screaming louder and louder along. The problem is that it was a B class road, the car starts swerving and within 3 seconds he totally loses control of the car and we go off into the ditch. The car flips over on its side and we're all hanging upsidedown. We cannot get the doors to open so I yell to go out the window on the passenger side, which was luckily already down. There's glass everywhere. Luckily noone was hurt at all. The car was totalled. We made our way to a farmhouse and called the police.

No cell phone, no cards, just a bunch of kids listening to loud music and getting into the tunes.

We were really lucky.

As an aside, it was funny - the one guy who was the most freaked out by the whole thing told everyone at school that I was the one who panicked during and after the crash. He told some kids that I lost it, that I was sobbing, etc - which would be understandable under the circumstances. But it didn't happen like that. Not bragging, but I don't panic - it's just not in my nature under those conditions. I remember during and after the accident he was really shook up and I felt bad for him. But then he went and told this crazy lie to cover his own keyster. I recall taking him aside in the hallway and staring him straight in the eye and saying "who was it that told you to crawl out the passenger side window when you couldn't open the door?". Just goes to show you, people are weird.
tjo'
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2005-12-22 14:50, scorch wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-22 11:40, chichi711 wrote:

Would you hunt down the thousands of people who might kill your kid while talking on a cell phone? Or putting on their makeup? Or lighting a cigarette?

YES!!! And just for the record I don't do any of those while driving. I know to many people that have been killed in cars because of other thoughtless people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I Practice While I Drive (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL