The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I Practice While I Drive (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Gary Kruse
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado Springs
146 Posts

Profile of Gary Kruse
I've jog shuffled, passed, DL'd, while driving. It's been while on a long, lonely one lane highway but I'd better knock it off before I regret it...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Scorch your point is goofy. I can still say it is wrong to do card slights no matter what else I do while driving.

your saying only those who have never done anything can sit in judgement?

sorry but it is not a moral question. it is comon sense. Plain and simple moral does never enter into it.

Just for the record I would never hunt downn another human being. I would be really hacked off, but no hunting as it makes me just as bad now dosn't it?

so yea doing anything while driving really is stupid. maybe those of us who this phenenomenon has touched personally take it a little more seriously than perhaps we should sorry.

lastly it was a great joke, although it is about 75 years older than ALDO
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
616 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Good points everyone!

(A question I asked earlier... still rhetorical)
So to all you who mentioned keeping attention on the road, can you honestly say that you always have 100% of your attention to the road and your driving, every time you drive? You never listen to the radio, or read a billboard? Always 100% attention... never once remove attention from driving?

Anyways, it is understandable if this touches some more personally than others, no need to be sorry. We are all human... well you people are. I am half bionic. LOL
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 12:24, chichi711 wrote:
Niedzwiecki

Please tell me you are not in the USA? This topic has been talked about here on the Café a few years ago. I think using your hands in your car to do anything but drive is stupid and irresponsible on your part. If you want to think about stacks or different effects that is one thing. Keep your hands on the wheel! I promise if you where in a car practicing your dl or pass and you hit and killed somebody you would never forgive yourself.

I can drive with my knee!
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Jasons remark about Andrew gave me a chuckle. I also practice 'in the car' but only when I'm stationary in a traffic jam which is very common in the UK. My practice is usually confined to the push off double lift and the Roman 'in the hands' cull riffle. To practice whist on the move is potentially very dangerous.

Regards,

Paul H
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
The only thing that I can practice reasonably safely and effectively is the Pinky Count (Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table). It just needs some consistent practice of counting the cards with the pinky. I find that it's truly worth the effort.

Drive safe, everybody. I don't even use a cellphone while driving, anymore. I've had a couple close calls while talking on the phone while driving.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2342 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I have lined the inside of my driver side window with double stick tape (the post it note kind, for easy removal) so I can practice 4 ace routines while driving. David Acer in preperation for his future career as a psychic entertainer, drives with his eyes shut while listening to RUSH at full volume! Dai Vernon used to practice middle dealing to Charlie Miller - WHO SAT IN THE BACK SEAT, while driving! So safety is a relative thing!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2005-12-22 19:50, TomKMagic wrote:
Good points everyone!

(A question I asked earlier... still rhetorical)
So to all you who mentioned keeping attention on the road, can you honestly say that you always have 100% of your attention to the road and your driving, every time you drive? You never listen to the radio, or read a billboard? Always 100% attention... never once remove attention from driving?

Anyways, it is understandable if this touches some more personally than others, no need to be sorry. We are all human... well you people are. I am half bionic. LOL

Obviously everybodys attention is not 100%. My point is that doing your dl and pinky counts as you drive drops your attention more than what the average drivers is alreay at. And we all know that the average driver on the roads attention is probably not real high. So why make a concious decision to make that attention even lower?
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
I could see going over patter, or maybe one handed flourishes. But just be very careful. Because of you guys theirs going to be a new law in place and the slogan will be......"don't use slieght of hand when your in the van"
Who is Tattoo Joe?
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
[

OK I'll come clean - I used to practice harmonica on my drive to work.
<snip>
[/quote]

I was driving one day and I was also practicing with my harmonica. All at once one of my mustache hairs got caught in the harmonica. It hurt like crazy and I couldn't get it loose easily. I figured that I'd just have to drive down this rather busy street with a harmonica hanging on my lip, or I'd have to rip it off. Well, I didn't want to look silly, so you can guess what I did. ;-))

Now I have grown a little wiser and now I hate to see people doing silly things while driving a car. I once was driving on a busy 4 lane street and I was in the outside lane. Some woman passed me and I was doing the speed limit of 40 mph. I looked over at her as she passed me and saw some things that I couldn't believe. She was one of these people who have to use their hands to make gestures as they talk. She was holding the cell phone to her ear with one hand and would let go of the steering wheel with the other and make her hand gestures. I thought to myself that she had to be the world's best driver, or the world's most stupid driver. ;-))

But as crazy as these examples are, they're not as crazy as a magician practicing a card trick...especially a faro shuffle.

Jerry

Jerry
Vernest
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Vernest
Russ, where do you think I mastered Pinnacle?? LOL

Actually, remember that One-handed Multiple Shift I showed you at TAOM?(I don't remember what year it was...). I actually worked out the method while I was driving to dinner with my girlfriend....wonderful ideas come to you at that stop light brotha!

Anyway...

Irv
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I don't know one single person that plays the harmonica. We brake out in a conversation about playing cards while driving and suddenly the entire world plays the hamonica while they drive. I find this interesting. I guess the moral of the story is that if I want to meet more people that play the harmonica you just need to car pool to work.

Posted: Dec 24, 2005 1:12am
They say our attention spands are getting shorter. If anybody needs to put some proof to the theory they should just read this thread.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
616 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
What did you say? ...sorry, I wasn't paying attention, I was playing my harmonica. (blues riff)
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
My point exactly. I seriously didn't even know they made those things anymore.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2005-12-23 18:05, jecar wrote:

I was driving one day and I was also practicing with my harmonica. All at once one of my moustache hairs got caught in the harmonica. It hurt like crazy and I couldn't get it loose easily.

Hate it when that happens. Hurts like a son of a gun.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Wow we even have two people that had it stuck in mustache hair. This is freaky. I seriously am having a hard time going to sleep just knowing that these things really actually happen.
Niedzwiecki
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Niedzwiecki
Wow, this has been a popular thread! Never really condoned the behavior, but it sure sounds like a few have thought of cards while driving. I recall a fair amount of memorized deck practice among other things.

Strange, but I think as much as I have had a deck in hand while driving, I think I have risked more concentration at times by eating a burger or chatting on the cell phone.

No accidents, no near misses, no hairs in harmonicas.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I don't think that I ever practice on the road but I do come up with some of material on the road. I am always thinking magic and a lot of my ideas come from when I am driving or when I am in the bathroom...you always have inspiration in the most interesting of places.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Guilty. I'm a stop light shuffler.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
I count how many time I can charlier cut before the light turns green hehe =o)
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I Practice While I Drive (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL