The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I Practice While I Drive (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Niedzwiecki
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Niedzwiecki
On occasion, I'll do a fair amount of driving for my job. It's inevitable that the cards come out during the trip. Practicing on the road. I'm not the only one that does this, am I? I know I should have my eyes on the road AT ALL TIMES. But, to be honest, it doesn't always happen.

I bet there is a story or two out there. Have you had a particularly magical revelation while driving? Have YOU done a little too much magic daydreaming while behind the wheel???
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I frequently go through my memorized deck sequence testing myself by reciting all the spades, hearts etc. or other ways of keeping the stack fresh in my mind. Smile If I'm a passenger, I'll flip down the vanity mirror and practice moves with coins (oops! this is the card forum). More than once centripital force has intervened with the result that the coin goes flying (centrifigul force) to some crevice between the seat, that can only be reached with a long finger or probe.Smile
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 11:54, Niedzwiecki wrote:
On occasion, I'll do a fair amount of driving for my job. It's inevitable that the cards come out during the trip. Practicing on the road. I'm not the only one that does this, am I? I know I should have my eyes on the road AT ALL TIMES. But, to be honest, it doesn't always happen.

Could you please post where you live and the roads your job takes you through? I would like very much to avoid your area and anywhere you might be traveling.
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
While it isn't particularly magic... it is about ideas coming to you while driving. A friend, who is a pastor as well, would be driving and see a billboard, or something that would get an idea flowing and he would pull out a yellow postit pad and start writing.

After one or two "close" calls, his wife got him a hand-held tape recorder for Christmas. A gift that keeps on giving... to all the drivers on the road.

RevJohn
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I've seen people do it. Going down the road one day I saw a guy who looked liked he was stacking a deck or something. He wasn't really paying attention to what was going on so I swerved over quickly and clipped his fender. He went flying over an embankment that went down about 35 feet. It was hilarious. I wonder what ever happened to that guy?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
I am a pastor too....nice to see another around. Also I practice all sorts of one handed vanishes on the road. Anything else I stay away from
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Niedzwiecki

Please tell me you are not in the USA? This topic has been talked about here on the Café a few years ago. I think using your hands in your car to do anything but drive is stupid and irresponsible on your part. If you want to think about stacks or different effects that is one thing. Keep your hands on the wheel! I promise if you where in a car practicing your dl or pass and you hit and killed somebody you would never forgive yourself.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
OK, I'll admit it. I do it too. But I readily admit that it's kind of stupid, and I don't do it if there is any traffic around me. If I've got five seconds of following distance, there's just not a whole lot that's going to be of any danger.

Personally, I don't see how practicing a one-handed top palm, a back palm, or a charlier cut is any better or worse than talking on a cell phone. If anything the cell phone is worse because it demands more of your attention. To dial numbers on a cell phone, you have to take your eyes off of the road.
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
For me, (Like some others have also mentioned ) driving can be a great time to come up creative ideas, both for work ( I work in creative visuals) and for magic. A number of the other creatives I work with also come up with lots of ideas while driving.
Its seems to be a time we can do an activity with one hemisphere, and the other hemisphere is free to roam.

But to answer the original question, no I don't practice while I drive.
I won't even talk on my cell phone while driving.
To each his own.

MXRay
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I don't practice my card work while driving, mostly because I drive a scooter and that just makes the cards go everywhere.

I do, however, practice my card work in the shower, but that kills an entire deck every time.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Niedzwiecki,

Think about how difficult this would be to explain to a cop if you got pulled over... and you'd end up being one of those guys that they talk about back at the station.

Your enthusiasm is certainly commendable, but save the practicing that requires your hands being off the wheel for another time.

I used to practice my accordian playing in the car. Didn't work out too well.

tjo'
tjo'
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
T-Jo. I saw a guy practicing a trumpet in his car, driving down the road. No lie.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I wonder how many smokers there are on this thread who are giving the poster grief about practicing card magic.

What's far more important than keeping both hands on the wheel (which actually isn't very important at all, as anybody who's driven a stick shift can attest) is keeping your eyes and attention on the road. If he can do that while practicing his one-handed sleights he's a much better driver than 90% of the rest of the drivers who regularly talk on the cell phones, smoke, eat, put on makeup, or pick their noses while driving.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I am guilty also as I have a boring 45 minute drive to work at 3:45 am every day. I am virtually the only vehicle on the road except for the occasional Sheriff. I do a steady speed limit and the cards are the only thing that keeps me awake. I'm like scorch...I don't do it in heavy traffic but I readily agree it is senseless.
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I have magnetic signs on my vehicles identifying me as a Magical Entertainer.One day while I was pulling into a toll plaza some idiot pulled along side of me with a big grin on his face and attemted to backpalm a card..he nearly crashed into the barrier separating the toll booths!
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 12:50, Vandy Grift wrote:
T-Jo. I saw a guy practicing a trumpet in his car, driving down the road. No lie.

Vandy

OK I'll come clean - I used to practice harmonica on my drive to work. But I was young and foolish and loved Sonny Terry. I was able to do it with one hand on the wheel, but the problem is my mind was in a shack somewhere on the Mississippi. Then one day I swerved due to lack of concentration and that was that. My career as a white bald car harpin' country-bluesman was over (it was over before it began).

I heard a story on the radio about a lady who got pulled over for bobbing and weaving furiously on the 401 (big highway). She was freaking out because a bee stung her above her eye...because she had her head out the window...trying to use the side view mirror to do her makeup. There was also a story about a lady who got pulled over for having both her hands out the driver's side window...drying her nails.
tjo'
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I learned the pinkie count driving from Arizona to Florida. Made the most progress somewhere in Texas.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I can still remember back in my Hippie days in the '60s "rollin" down the "high"way if you get my drift.
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 11:54, Niedzwiecki wrote:

I bet there is a story or two out there. Have you had a particularly magical revelation while driving? Have YOU done a little too much magic daydreaming while behind the wheel???

wtf.... I think you gonna have enough time for practising and memorizing while you sitting in jail when the cops get you... just watch out that you don't pick up any dropped cards or coins from the ground Smile
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
So I'm in the car, a friend is driving, and he runs right through a red light without even slowing down. I say, "What are you doing?" He says, "Don't worry about it; my brother drives this way."

A couple of blocks later, he speeds right through another red light like nobody's business. I say, "Are you trying to get us killed?!" He says, "Hey, don't worry about it; my brother drives this way."

A couple of minutes later, we get to a green light, and he comes to a full stop. I say, "NOW what are you doing?" He looks right and he looks left and then he says, "Well, my brother could be coming the other way!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » I Practice While I Drive (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL