We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is Hopping Halves worth buying? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I tried it before, but it did not interest me. If I had a story to go along with the rountine, maybe I would of continued with it. It won't hurt to try.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Since everybody talks about "all the other things" that can be done with a set I was wondering what exactly you do?
And do you use that in real life performance as well? Or is it just that you can DO it with the gaffs?
The most useful gaffs that are REALLY versatile he already has...
Since he mentions it is costly for him are you guys really suggesting he should buy a HH-set? Really?

Snowboard read my first post. I am a working pro. Invest your money wisely!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Hi
Dan LeFay

Your reply is exactly what I want to ask.
Yes, I want to save my money. Hopping Halves is great .I plan to buy it later.In order to master the HH ,I should buy material which is recommended.That's another invest.

Thanks very much for all the people give their adivce.

The chiefly thing I want to buy is the books and lecture notes.
RawVoodoo
View Profile
New user
ohio
62 Posts

Profile of RawVoodoo
Quote:
One thing I will suggest is to take care how you present it - one of the worst mistakes I ever made was to go down the 'If I take the silver coin, which one is left? No, you're not watching, I'll do it again...' road. Looking back, I cringe at just how patronising this was and (after reading Darwin Ortiz' book 'strong magic' - excellent) a different presentation made the effect into something I could regularly use and have the audience loving it.

JMHO

I agree, I agree, I agree. I really try to stay away from any routine that makes the spectator feel foolish (unless Im nailing a heckler) What I do for this one is I act like I just started learnig the trick ie Put 2 in this hand remove one and put it in pocket...wait let me start over...snap! 2 still in hand, remove the other one and ..."wait, I had it right the first time" snap! 2 still in hand and repeat getting more frustrated till the end when I appologise and show empty hands and say "I'll have to learn that one better sometime it really is a good trick, you would have liked it"

That way I am the one making all the mistakes and the magic happens as a Reset kinda thing. Keeps the spectator from feeling slighted (or should that be "sleighted" Smile )
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
I agree, I agree, I agree. I really try to stay away from any routine that makes the spectator feel foolish (unless Im nailing a heckler) What I do for this one is I act like I just started learnig the trick ie Put 2 in this hand remove one and put it in pocket...wait let me start over...snap! 2 still in hand, remove the other one and ..."wait, I had it right the first time" snap! 2 still in hand and repeat getting more frustrated till the end when I appologise and show empty hands and say "I'll have to learn that one better sometime it really is a good trick, you would have liked it"

That way I am the one making all the mistakes and the magic happens as a Reset kinda thing. Keeps the spectator from feeling slighted (or should that be "sleighted" Smile )

This is similar to the approach I use. In fact, it gives me an idea on how to adapt one phase of my routine. I hope you don't mind if I borrow part of it.

Regarding the original question of whether Hopping Halves is worth purchasing. I think that the answer is... yes, it is worth purchasing. I realize that a point was made earlier that it was "costly" for him. I can't afford a 3CM or Triple Threat right now. That doesn't mean they're not WORTH buying. At the risk of igniting a sleight vs. gaff war, I think that any gaff that allows you to more efficiently or effectively produce magical results is worth your consideration. Regardless of how good you are at sleights, you can reduce the possibility of "tells" if the apparatus allows you to more naturally show things as you wish them to appear. I realize there are folks out there who can transfer a coin into an advanced palm location smoother than I can nest a ], but I think they are the exception rather than the rule. IMHO, gaffs such as hopping halves, C/S/B, flippers, etc. are all great tools to own.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Yes ,I agree. I don't mind to the gimmicks. Contrary, I love using gimmick to make my act magical. In my opinion ,the C/S ,[,flippers,folding,is not the proper gimmicks. They are all need good sleight. But the raven, holdout,etc they are almost selfworking. I don't dislike them. Just didn't use them often.

The reason I want to buy the hopping halves is that, I want a strong, easy handling routine doing at table hopping. I can do some Knuckle Busters ,but mistake is inescapable happening.
absynth
View Profile
New user
Tejas
62 Posts

Profile of absynth
As has been mentioned, the hopping half set contains 2 expanded [ and 1 Sun/moon set.

That is 4 coins. What is the fifth coin that I see in the pics advertising the set?
When Einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, he must not have attempted coin and card manipulations...or am I truly insane?
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
The hopping half gimmick is great but armed with the knowledge of the books Dan has already suggested you will have a foundation of sleight of hand with coins that will allow you to create the hopping halves routine (if you so choose)without all the unnecessary gimmicks. for example in the new DVD I have coming out soon I have a routine called, "Hopping No gaffs" which requires 2 silver 2 copper and a pocket. if you wanted to stream line it you could make it 3 coins by adding a c/s coin. so now when your performing you don't have to carry a dozen coin gaffs for each routine you perform. that's not to say I don't use gaffs. If I can't duplicate the same effect of a trick that's done with a gaff then I'll use a gimmick. Also vise versa If there's a trick that does not require a gimmick and by adding it causes the effect to be more visual or stunning then I'll do it also. There’s no code or rule here when striving for the best effect don't put boundaries upon your magic when it comes to creating, However in order to do that you must have a foundation in your craft. Books and DVD’s are the way to go in that order. If someone gives you a 100 bucks you'll accept it and use it but if you earned it yourself you have much more appreciation for it. When you read an effect or sleight and work through it, well then you have the right to it. Back in the day and even know some magicians would not just give or teach there stuff to some other magicians just because they asked. That magician spent hours reading and studying the routine to make it work. In performance maybe it's a 5-10 minute routine, but the time it took to learn practice and own the routine is truly WORK.

Just something to think about.
Joe Rindfleisch
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2005-12-30 02:43, absynth wrote:
As has been mentioned, the hopping half set contains 2 expanded [ and 1 Sun/moon set.

That is 4 coins. What is the fifth coin that I see in the pics advertising the set?

It comes with an expanded half dollar ], an expanded English Penny ], a non-expanded English Penny ], and a sun/moon. The fifth coin you NEED for the routine is a non-gimmicked half dollar. I can't remember if that came with the set (would make sense that it would). I also use a non-gimmicked English Penny (I think I added that from my own collection). I non-chalantly leave the non-gimmicked coins laying on the table while I do some other routines, which allows the spectators to handle both coins (if they are curious enough to do so) prior to ringing in the gaffs. Even if they don't pick them up, the heat is off the coins because, subconsciously, they know that those coins were laying there where they COULD have inspected them if they wanted to.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
As with almost all postings here, there are no hard and fast answers (which is why magic's an art in the first place). I personally love coin tricks more than any other, but don't have a hopping half. In fact, the only gimmicks I have are a C/S and an expanded shell. But I've found with what I have, I can do several really neat transpositions, winged silver, gadabouts and enough to please a small crowd (which I reckon is my job description, non?). I got a copy of Bobo over 25 years ago and last week just started learning a new trick (or at least a new method of a trick I've done for years, also learned in Bobo--porous paw). Anyhow, the point is sleights and the ability to carry them off will carry you much farther than great gimmicks--of and by themselves. I remember someone doing a scotch and soda which had so little presentation, all anyone could do was know the coins were doing the trick. Without gaffs, a lot of times the magic looks truly unbelievable. None of this is to knock the hopping halfs or any other gimmick, merely to say don't ever underestimate sheer skill and practice.
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
It depends from so many things, so there is very hard to tell you what to do...I mean I like the effect but I don't perform it, cause it does not fit into my act. SO you better figure out, to buy or not, by yourself. But I must add, that the effect is really great Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
Snowboard & pabloinus:

If you decide to purchase a HH set be aware that besides manufacturer, there are two fundamentally different versions of the HH coin set - expanded-[ and unexpanded-[. I believe Penguin M sells the unexpanded versions. The expanded-[ set is probably more versatile (I got mine from The Magic Warehouse).

The HH routine is fun, but be careful of, as others pointed out, being patronizing, or making the spec seem dumb. I do it in a light hearted manner, and it seems to play well with children.

If money is an issue, then given the gaffs Snowboard already owns, Dan's comments should be seriously considered. To learn sleights, Ammar's Complete Intro to Coin Magic is great (the tricks were so-so in my opinion). Bobo's book is cheaper, it has many slights, and *many* effects, but you don't get to see the timing of the motion. For more money, volume 1-3 of Roth's Expert Coin magic teaches the sleights, and I thought had much better tricks than did Ammar's video. You can check Dan Watkin's (on the Café) web site for a nice comparison of the videos. For an interesting set of tricks that use the ['s and the flipper.. I've enjoyed Troy Hooser's DesTROYers(book). It has the Charming Chinese Challenge, Extroydinary(nice coin flurry using a shell, its what Oz does to demonstrate the e-[ on the Penguin M site), some coins across, flipper coin thru table, and even some card tricks.

Last, there are a few non-gaffed, or minimally gaffed HH effects already described, or made available on the Café.

And last, but not least, enjoy!
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Just to add that there is a nice, non-gaffed, version of HH in "Magic from Maui" by Carl Andrews.
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Thank you ,John

For the two version of the HH and the advice of material.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I bought a Hopping Halves set from JoPro back in 1973 when the effect was called "The Hopping Half and Perambulating Penny". It cost me 20 bucks & change back then which was expensive! I remember looking up perambulating in the dictionary to find out what it meant! Smile (it means to stroll around from place to place). The dates on the halves and English pennies are 1969 & 1967 respectively. The halves are a shell & a cut down half and the pennies are expanded shell, a regular shell and a cut down C/S. I really recommend this set and it's worth the investment...I still use the coins!
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
fasr eddie
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of fasr eddie
There is a fantastic version in sadowitz magazine The Crimp using sleight of hand
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1520 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I have a uk coin (10p & 2p) HH version for sale
offers..........?
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 18:43, John Long wrote:
Snowboard & pabloinus:

If you decide to purchase a HH set be aware that besides manufacturer, there are two fundamentally different versions of the HH coin set - expanded-[ and unexpanded-[. I believe Penguin M sells the unexpanded versions. The expanded-[ set is probably more versatile(I got mine from The Magic Warehouse).

The Johnson set has an expanded ].

Quote:
On 2006-01-02 18:43, John Long wrote:
Snowboard & pabloinus:
The HH routine is fun, but be carefull of, as others pointed out, being patronizing, or making the spec seem dumb. I do it in a light hearted manner, and it seems to play well with children.

I do the effect using patter that doesn't involve the routine where you ask the spectator, "which coin is left in my hand?" It's too easy to make people feel "fooled" (read: dumb) rather than entertained when you show they're wrong.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I remimber the first time I saw it(HH)done with a Gaffed set. I still remimber it, that's worth something to me. Does the spectator know or care if its a pure or gaffed effect? Gaffed coins could be called a shortcut to a effect. If its done well and the performer and the spectator enjoy it then its worth it.
tjs81418
View Profile
New user
Santa Cruz, Bolivia
12 Posts

Profile of tjs81418
If you use a Himber coin purse (see coin purse forum) to take the coins out and show it empty, tell a story about the coins being separated but finding their way back together, give the spectator the last 2 coins to drop in your pocket and then open the coin purse that has been sitting on the table the whole time and take out 2 ungafted coins, you have a nice and not too hard coin routine. Great for walk around or table hopping.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Is Hopping Halves worth buying? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL