The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Grab Bag - A Creativity Exercise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hey folks,

I have read some really great threads here that all seem to share the same idea. That idea is the art of how to think creatively with the props and things you have, and how can you open yourself up to thinking on a creative basis to come up with fun and original routines that are unique to you and that are fun for the audiences you perform for.

This got me thinking of a fun little thread I thought I could start here that might serve a couple key purposes. 1) It would allow us all to ahve a little bit of fun 2) We can learn the art of how to think creatively and opeening yourself up top thinking in new creative ways and 3) It can help us to learn from each other as well.

I call this project Grab Bag. Basically it works like this. I am going to list a few props and items below. These are the items you all have in your so called "grab bag". These items are then to be looked at and studied and you are to have a goal of using as many of the items as you possibly can to come up with a fun children's routine that uses these objects in a fun and magical fashion.

The goal here is to think creatively with what you are given. This way you learn to take what you have and combine them in fun ways you may not have thought of otherwise. You are allowed to use any music you feel like using should you want to use music. You may also add in any patter you want to add in. However, the routine should be comprised of as many of the following items as you can.

let us have fun with this and learn from each others creativity and see what happens.

Grab Bag Items:
- Comedy Broken and restored wand
- One Red sock
- One Blue sock
- a 18 inch white silk
- 2 rubberbands
- A toilet paper roll
- a billiard ball
- a red backed bicycle deck of cards
- a cardboard box that all the stuff is found in
- a black magic marker
- a 3 foot piece of rope
- a pair of scissors
- a roll of duct tape

I will leave it at this for now and perhaps throw in items as we go along as Bonus items. The idea is now to use your creative mind and imagination to use as many of these above items as you can to develop a fun routine, or routines that would be fun for a children's show audience.

Let us see what we each can come up with and the diversity of creative ideas that can come out of this. I look forward to reading your ideas and I will also add in my own as well.

Hope you enjoy.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
I wanna play!

Introducing....

"C3" (comedy color change)

With the scissors cut a flap in the back of the box that opens and closes but cannot be detected when closed. Place box on top of your table. I am assuming we can at least have a table? (c'mon Kyle!) In big childish letters write on the box with the black marker "THE MAGIC BOX!"

(To produce things from the box, you will reach inside with your right hand, your left hand, behind the box, will grab the item from inside your table, your right hand in the box will open the flap, the left hand will hand the item thru the flap and then close the flap.)

(Before the show, stuff the red sock into the center tube of the TP roll)

(Before the show put the pool ball in your left pocket)

Have a single square of toilet paper palmed in your right hand. Show your box empty to the audience, reach inside (load the box with the whole roll of toilet paper from behind) and produce only a SINGLE square of toilet paper. (palmed earlier) Take a bow as though it were the most awesome trick ever invented.

Explain to the audience how this trick is done, "you see the square of paper was in my hand to begin with (show the square - palmed), and when I reach inside I produce it!" Now reach inside again but this time IMMEDIATELY pull a length of TP out, look slightly embarrassed and pull on the length a little more...a little more...now "milk" the whole roll out, looking frustrated and embarrassed. Leave the TP tube inside the box with the sock in it.

(optional part)
"I shall now produce for you the Magic Shoelace!"
Reach in & produce the white rope. look confused at the rope as you comment that it is a shoelace for your brother the giant!

Invite a guest up and commence with your favorite cut & restored rope routine...

(another optional part)
Reach inside box and produce cards & silk and commence with your favorite card thru silk routine...

Later...

"I shall now produce for you the Magic Color Changing Cloth!"

Reach in the box and produce the blue sock. (look, don't see.) Point at it triumphantly with your other hand as you withdraw it from the box. When you realize it is your sock, quickly hike up your pant leg to discover your sock is missing. (insert expressions of embarrassment/anger here). (Note: actually be wearing a matching blue sock on that leg but have it tucked down into your shoe making it look like you have no sock on. You'll see why later)

"For this I shall need my magic wand" reach inside & produce breakaway wand. Do some bits with it bending & breaking until you finally get it to stay str8.

"And my magic tube" reach inside and pull out the TP tube (with loaded red sock) being careful not to expose the red sock.

"As I place the Magic Cloth (sock) into the Magic Tube (TP roll) something magical shall happen!" Place a part of the blue sock into the tube with your hand so that most of it hangs out of the tube then try to stuff the rest of the blue sock in the end of the tube with the breaking magic wand, which again doesn't co-operate again and leads to more humor/frustration.

Finally get the blue sock all the way in to the tube as your other hand prevents the other sock from coming out of the other side. As you talk and move around, secretly rotate the tube so the red sock is now closest to your side of the open end of the tube.

The next move is BOLD, but do-able...say the magic words and reach into the tube and in ONE MOVEMENT - yank the red sock from the tube - sending it airborn over the audience - while the other hand holding the tube swiftly dips into the magic box jolting the blue sock into the box and just as quickly coming back up out of the box with the empty tube still in your hand as you quickly head for the red sock in the audience! (this should all be in one movement)

Retrieve the red sock openly flashing the empty tube around (but don't draw attention that it's empty)...just let them see for themselves "by accident". Hold the red sock up & bow. Again you explain "how the trick is done" as you turn to your left, you are holding the sock from the toe end with your RHand and shaking it you explain that the blue sock is merely inside of the red sock (as you turned left get the pool ball palmed from your left pocket) as you face the audience again, in one movement your left hand goes for the open end of the sock hiding the pool ball within the sock but still laying on your left palm) you pretend to shake something from the sock..."Ahh! here it comes!" look surprised as the result is a pool ball that apparently falls from within the sock to your left hand! This should be quite amazing as the sock was just a moment ago flying into the audience!

Finally, turn the red sock inside out and look confused and asking where the blue sock went? Then have an expression of realization as you lift up the same leg you did earlier and you reach to pull your pant leg up, this time, actually reach all the way into your shoe and have the blue sock ultimately appear back on your foot again!

Would I actually do this routine?
Maybe, in the right situation - for a big paid gig...maybe not!

aaron

PS - these will be sold at my new site, next week, just in time for...uh, new year. Please do not spend the next 40 messages trying to guess at the method, you'll just have to buy it to find out! ...maybe I'll be the next Chance Wolf?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Aaron,

thank you so much for taking a stab at this. I know it is not an easy task and maybe that is why others have not attempted it yet. However, the point is that anyone can start to learn to think on a creative level by forcing themselves to try excercises like these. You start to allow your brain and train the brain to see in a much better fashion.

I like some of your ideas and it shows your creative process. You are working on things and coming up with ways in which to not only use them, but to still have the comedy elements and presentation in it as well.

Very nicely done and I thank you for doing this. I am hoping others will chime in here and give this a try. What will happen is that you will see vastly different approaches and vastly different routines and entertainment coming from the same basic props. I think we can all really learn from this.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

I want to make clear, I was just playing the game, and I was joking about selling the trick. I have actually recieved letters from some posters telling me that I should not advertise and sell on the Café without permission!!!

Geez, people, c'mon!

BTW Kyle, I'm looking forward to your idea... Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here's my creativity:

Comedy Cut and Restore Rope Trick
Stanard cut and restored rope trick but use a small piece of duck tape to tape the center of the rope. Vanish the short piece, by a palming method. The rope now look like it has been taped in the middle. I then remove the tape and the rope is restored.
- a 3 foot piece of rope
- a pair of scissors
- a roll of duct tape

Crazyman's Handcuffs: - 2 rubberbands

Over the head Paper Throw: - A toilet paper roll

Toilet Paper to Silk: Running Gag
- A toilet paper roll
- a 18 inch white silk
- Comedy Broken and restored wand

18 inchs of toilet paper changes to a white silk handerkerchief

Magician sneezes and the toilet tissue floats away, the second sneeze the tiolet is stuck in the mouth, the third time, the toilet paper turns into a hankerchief. The comedy wandis broken so the paper is still in small pieces, the wand is fixed, and turns the tissue into a handerchief

Color Changing Socks:
- A toilet paper roll
- One Red sock
- One Blue sock

Card Magic
Box is turned over, Silk is the table cloth, Selected card is signed (Marker) and torn by volunteer. The torn card disappears and found in the box the cards came in which were in the pocket of the volunteer just after you took the cards out. The torn card exactly fits the card in the box. (AKA Jeff McBride's Method)

- a red backed bicycle deck of cards
- a cardboard box that all the stuff is found in
- a black magic marker
- a 18 inch white silk

Appearing Sock and Billiard ball
- a billiard ball
- A toilet paper roll
- One Red sock
- Rubber Bands

Toilet tissue is thrown up in the air once and the second time it comes down as a red sock. The sock is turned inside out, and thrown in the air and fly way up banginf on to the stage. Inside the sock is a red billiard ball. Rubber Bands are used to vanish the tissue paper and appear the sock (in Jeff McBride's Magic on Stage Vol. 1 (Appearing silk routine)) Ball from sleeve into the sock.
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Great stuff folks. Now THIS is what I am talking about. It means taking what you are given and using your imagination and your own creativity to develope routines that are different and as unique as you are.

This process can be used a lot to really train your brain to think in ways that you may not have even invisioned. It helps you to truly learn how to "see" past the obvious and create customized entertainment for your audiences.

I will try and take a stab at this as well and see what my mind comes up with. keep in mind that the objects I selected were completely at ramdom so this process will be new to me to the items chosen above. Let me see what I can come up with using a free flow process of creative brainstorming.

Here goes:

Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls.... right now I for my next feet of magic (lift up pant leg to show a missing sock) I will need the assiatance of someone from our audience. But, in order to make sure this is as random a selection as possible, we will select our helper in an unusual way.. using this (show billard ball aka bouncy ball).

In a second you will begin to hear music play. When the music plays, I will toss the ball into the audience at which point I would like someone to catch it. If you catch it, toss it over to someone else and keep going until you hear the music stop. That's right folks.. just like the world's biggest game of musical chairs only safer (look at audience and smile).

(Jeapordy music starts to play as you toss the ball gently into the audience. suddenyl the msuic stops as a lady holds onto the ball. Mam, I saw that, no use trying to hide the ball... you are the victum . um I mean Helper I am looking for. Give her a great round of appluase as she makes her way to our stage today.

Your name is? Mary. Nice to have you up here Mary. Mary the reason I have you up here is to help me with an experiment. Notice I said experiment and not magic trick. You see magic tricks work... experiments well (hold out hand and shake back and forth as if saying so-so). This way if the experiment doesn'twork, I will not be the only one up here looking real silly. I am just kidding with you Mary.

Mary I must ask you if you like rope tricks? (begin pulling out rope from pocket of jacket) you do? That's great because today we will be doing a card trick. (pull out rope to show that a deck of cards is tied around the rope end. Smile towards Mary).

See Mary if you knew this was going to be a card trick, you really would not have been so eager to get up here now would you? (look at Mary and giggle). Well Every magic show must have a card trick, and this show is no exception. Howwver, what usually happens is the magician has a helper choose a card, the helper finds the card and the trick ends. Well Kelly and I here find doing that..well rather BORING!!!!! (as my wife and I say boring at the same time).

That is why today for your entertainment pleasure we will be performing the lightning fast CARD TRICK OF DEATH!!!! (AS THE MIC IS SET ON REVERB). (Look at Mary and go) Scary huh?

Well first we must have you select a card.. so we are going to get the boring part of the trick out of the way as fast as we can. I will spread the cards out towards you. One card will be screaming to you PICK ME... PICK ME. (as I do this I have one card moving back and forth in the spread.) I am just joking Mary.. select any card you would like....(wait till she selects one before saying) EXCEPT THAT ONE!!! No that is ok Mary. We can use that.

Now please take this marker and sign your name across the face of the card so that you can recognize it later. Got it? Perfect. You know why we magicians use these things (show marker) because it is a MAGIC marker. Woah Mary be careful.... it's a SHARPIE (turn and smile).

Now that the boring part of the trick is over, we can get on with the coolpart. OOOHH AHHHHHHHH! Ok Mary in a second I am going to go back to my table and get out the super magic wand 2000. Yiu will wave the wand over the hand and we will magically find your card. If we do find your card you win a really cool prize to take home.

Now this magic wand has been handed down from generation of generations of magicians in my family. The last thing my dad said before leaving the house today, besides stopping to pick up milk, (wait for laugh) was to make sure nothinbg happens to the wand. That is why I picked you Mary. Because I know and every lady here knows that girls are PERFECT in every way and never break anything.

So please take the wand and wave it over the deck and say the magic words...Please Work.. Oh PLEASE work. (as you hand her the wand you turn to the other sidemto address the audience) Perfect now that Mary has the wand, she will wave it over the hand and repeat those magic words I told her to say.. (hold out hand to Mary but still do not look at her.) Mary any day now would be just fine. hehe (look at Mary and look at the wand.) Hehehe so much for that theory.

Well since that did not work to actually find and locate your card, I am sorry to say you do not win the prize ( look at audience and go awwwwwwwwww) However, Kelly and I are going to give you a cancelation prize. That's right.. Johnny tell her what she has won. (my wife then says into mic) Well Mary you have won your very own cool ..... BLUE SOCK!!!!!!!! ( I hold up blue sock as if it is the best thing on earth and smile)..... um or you could have what is behind curtain number two. (I hold up white silk in front of my face and peak around the side and smile at Mary). Just kidding Mary. We are going to give you one more chance.

I said this was the card trick of death, so we now muct move on to the danger portion of the trick and find your card in another manner. If you notice Kelly is bring out a packing box. (on the box is the words "DANGER ANIMAL INSIDE" written in marker and held together with patches of duct tape) We will need you to stand in the safety zone as I go and bring out the most ferocious and dangerous animal known to man.. ( I move in towards the box as the music Barney I love You song starts to play..) AGHHHHH not THAT music. Phew I want dangerous not painful. hehe (Jaws music starts to play) as I reach in and pull out my sock puppet using a marker for the eyes and a rubber band for the mouth area.) Woah stay back Mary this could get dangerous here.

In a minute I will have you stand over where Kelly is standing. I will then hand you the packet of cards. I will then shout to you and tell you exactly when to toss the cards towards me. Noticed I said towards me and not AT me Mary. You toss them AT me and the show takes a whole new turn as I dance around in pain. (smile) Just toss them up towards me in a nice gentle arc. I will then have to lung out and grab one of those cards inside the mouth of this very rARE AND FEROCIOUS Sock monkey.

Are you read Mary? Good cause I'm not. We need a blind fold out here. kelly can you get me the blind fold? (she brings out the white silk). Oh this is not for you Mary, this is for me. I have seen this trick and I find it rather boring) Ok now that I am completely blindfolded and can not see, and my sock monkey of death is ready.. just TOSS THE CARDS UP......(pause) ........ ON THE COUNT OF 3. (NOW SHE HAS ALREADY TOSSED THE CARDS UP AND THEY ARE ON THE STAGE BUT I AM NOT AWARE OF IT CAUSE I AM STILL BLIND FOLDED) oK.. 1.......2........3. (i LUNG OUT WITH THE SOCK MONKEY PUPPET)

( I lift up the blind fold fold and look at Mary and look on he ground of the cards and look back up) Ok this did not go EXACTLY as planned. Mary, have you ever helped a magician before? No? Well your not helping one now. He he I am kidding Mary it is not your fault. I chose you. (smile) No that is ok Mary we can fix this.

Even though you did not win, we want to give you a nice parting gift. So here is your very own rollof... PAPER (show toilet paper roll). But first, my wife is always saying I have to learn to clean up my act.. so do you mind if I do just that? (I start to unroll the paper and you start to see aletter on each part of the paper as it rolls down.) Wait there is something on this paper. what does that say.... the 3 of clubs? Is that the card you signed Mary? It is? Well how about that. Give Mary a great appluse for being such a great helper.

Mary before you go we want to really give you a gift. This paper (get out cissors and cut it as you say) hey this stuffis tough..it's 2-PLY. Here ya go.This paper and all this applause just for you.

Well that is the off the top of my head concept for using every element on the list to fdevelop a free flow brainstorm idea of a routine. It certainly is not perfect by any means, but it really starts to train my mind how to think in creative manners and how to really see beyond the obvious to come up with fun routines that fit my personality and that is unique to me.

I hope my quick example is of help to you. Please keep this going and see what other creative ideas we can come up with using the props listed above and your own creative mind.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

I love it Kyle...very funny too. I think an alternate killer ending would be to have the SIGNED card come out of the roll of TP as you unroll it, instead of the revelation written. Good job.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I was thinking of that to after I had already posted it. When I start my brainstroming and free flow creative process, I just let my mind go and I try to think outside of the norm. I try to create routines that fit my personality and that seem fun for the audience. The card revelation and her signed card being inside the roll actually came to me after I posted it. Thanks for the kind words and the other alternate ending. I greatly appreciate it.

I hope others will try this creative excercise and chime in here as well. Let me ask you something. As you were doing the excercise yourself, did you feel that it helped you and that by doing this process, you might actually increase and open up yourself to more creative ideas? This was my intention for doing this and it is a method that I use quite a lot to keep myself always striving to create new magic and grow myself as well.

I am glad youliked it and I hope others will try this method out for themselves. I would like to know how it works for you. I may also post another creatuivity excercise concept I often use as well. However, I will wait to do that and see where we go with this thread.

I think a lot of folks shy away from trying things like this because it does require a lot of work and effort to really train yourself to creative thought processes that you are not used to. But anything good and anything worth while, takes time and effort. For me doing things like this help me greatly and it shows in my audiences response to what I have created.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Grab Bag - A Creativity Exercise (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL