The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blackstone Tire Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Hello,
I am looking for information on the working of the Blackstone Sr. "Tire Illusion". Any information on presentation and method would be welcome. Thank you in advance for your replies.
Best Wishes,
James
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Hi James .. you might be able to find some video of this illusion as his son, Harry Jr. also performed this illusion from time to time. There is even a DVD available that might have it on there. This may still be the property of Mrs. Blackstone as far as performing or recreating this illusion. I think if you send an email to her you'll get all the information you'll need. Look it up online possibly under Blackstone Magik .. yes with a "k" in magic. Good luck ..

Steve
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
Blackstone Jr performed the "Tire Illusion" on the Best of Magic in the UK about 15 years ago. There may be some people around with a VHS/DVD of the performance.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7403 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Blackstone Jr. performed a version of the Tires but not exactly as Sr. did. George Johnstone tipped the whole thing to me once. It was typical Blackstone Sr. simple and gutsy but it worked 100%. The original apparatus was owned by Mark Wilson and is now in the Copperfield museum where I saw it last year.

Jr.'s version is on tape. It might be on the dvd or the PBS special. Bill Smith made the apparatus and had a devil of time working with the heavy truck tires.

A great illusion but it takes the proper staging and personality to properly sell it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi James,

You'll find a performance of it on the Magical Moments DVD from Stevens. It's in the Christmas Toyland sequence.

John
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I've also seen a version on one of Bill Smith's promo materials showing some of the Illusions that he has built. You may want to contact him as well.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Thank you to everyone who replied...I will let you know what I find out.
Happy Holidays,
James
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Few people know that this illusion was originally conceptualized by Walter Gibson, who passed the idea along to Blackstone, Sr.

Gibson had thought of it as a part of his SHADOW series of novels and radio plays. In one of the plays, a gang of thugs are chasing The Shadow, ready to shoot him with machine guns. The hero dives into a rack of rubber tires to escape. The thugs pull out the tires, one by one, but The Shadow has vanished.

The tires used by Blackstone SR. were multi-colored and very thin as compared to today's car or truck tires.

This illusion certainly doesn't pack small, and requires several assistants and a theatre fly system to pull it off properly, but in the right cirucmstances, is very novel and mystifying.

- entity
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Cool post Entity!!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7403 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The best thing for Blackstone was the advertising he could generate for local dealers by using "their tires".

I had forgot it was Walter Gibson's idea.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
I would like to thank everyone for there information...lots of good stuff.
Thanks again,
James
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Wasn't there a version of this in a book by Tom Palmer?
Norrabmagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Norrabmagic
Is this in print anywhere? are the rights available? I am interested in this effect. Any help would be appreciated.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Norrabmagic, contact Gay Blackstone. magik@blackstonemagic.com or 12800 Puesta Del Sol , Redlands, CA 92373-7408
909.792.1227 ph
909.794.2737 fax
or you can sometimes reach her through the magic castle, since she is president of the board.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Here's a video of Harry Blackstone Jr. performing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fqq9YCM-ok
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks Chris... had never seen it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
That's a different version than I'm familiar with. I've seen a stack of tires on one side of the stage inside of which the girl is, the rack center stage. The tires are unstacked and rolled across the stage to the other side where they are restacked and the girl emerges. Method used BA and only one girl.

Two completely different methods. Which, if either, are proprietary?
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I don't believe the method Starrpower described is proprietary. If it's the version using the triangular BA tables, I know for a fact it is in several books. I believe it might be in one put out by Abbott's, New Tops illusions, or something like that? I would have to look.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Harry Jr's version is a bit different from his dad's which was pretty gutsy. But then Harry Jr never tried to copy his dad and generally took illusions his dad did and improved on the performance. Harry, Jr's was still gutsy in its own right, but not exactly the same way Uncle Harry did it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7403 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Photius, is correct. Jr's version was much different than his dad's.

I would talk to Bill Smith about it. Bill will tell you if he would make it for you or if it is proprietary.

Realize, this is a heavy illusion in many and requires quite a few assistants to properly stage it. You just don't grab a girl and guy and do it.

Reread my earlier posts carefully. I do have a reasonable background on this straight from the horse's mouth.
Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blackstone Tire Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL