We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Mats? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zutallor
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of zutallor
I was wondering where magicians get the mats that they do their card magic on? Is it the same material as a poker table? Can you get it at a magic shop or is it possible to make one yourself. I find it really hard to work with cards on a hard surface. Thanks a lot!
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
Close-up mats are what we most often use when the performing situation permits the use of table space. These can be obtained from most any good magic dealer.
I would suggest that you check with Dean Dill. I have heard a lot of praise about his close-up pads. It just so happens that Dean is the featured guest right now in the section of The Magic Café called "Chef Special for November". Check it out and also go to his web site for more info on the "card mats" you are looking for.
And if you do an internet search on either magic shops or close-up mats, etc., you will find many other references.
In addition, The Magic Café has some good threads on close-up mats. Do a search and you will see them.

Good luck
Steve
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Zutallor,
Instead of spending a whole lot on an "official magician's close-up mat," you might want to try a mouse pad (ideal for when you don't have a lot of space) or art foam, I believe it's called. It is a soft material like felt but with a rubbery texture; it comes in large sheets (about 14 inches by 24 inches) is thin (about 1/8 of an inch) and comes in a wide variety of colors.
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Also, A lot of magicians use carpet samples as mats. For example, Jerry Andrus uses a thick piece of carpet.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
Jeweler's mat. You can buy them from a jewler.
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
A lot close up mats are available online, as well as, local magic store. But I don't have a problem with spreading on any surface. Worst comes worst, I have to dribble it as I spread.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
Jbmagic sell extremely nice ones with card designs on them

but you can buy them without design
Axio
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Axio
You can find close-up pads in every good magic dealer or on-line shops. I have an Apollo pad and I am happy with it. I have also heard very good comments about Duffie's Pads.
Axio
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I find my close up pad to be one of the most useful items I have bought since getting into magic. Sure, I can work without one, but it does makes things easier. I also think they work as a psychological "stage" for the specs. As though you are presenting something special with the borders of this little foamy rectangle.

I've been seriously thinking about making my own. Something with an original look. I would suggest taking a trip to the local craft store, if you have one and creating one that fits your personal needs.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
IF you want to make one, find some art foam or other close-celled low-memory foam about 1/4" thick. Cut it to whatever size you desire. Then take a bit of felt in whatever jazzy color you want. Use a good contact adhesive (3-M Spray Contact Adhesive works well), spray a layer on the foam and a layer on the felt. Let dry (or follow the spray directions), sandwich the two bits together, put a bit of wax paper over the top and use a rolling pin to compress the felt and remove any bumps or bubbles that may have occured in the process. Let it dry for a while under pressure (a few encyclopedias perhaps) then enjoy! I've made a few of these and they tend to hold up rather well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card Mats? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL