The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Building false recollections (an important tool for magic) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
macc
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of macc
When I was a teen I performed the balducci levitation for my mom and when she talks about it now, I levitated about 3 foot in the air in the middle of a room. Smile
Russo
View Profile
Special user
825 Posts

Profile of Russo
This reminds me when in 1969 Wife was carrying our son - daughter (age 9 at the time) became my assistant- though she said "Daddy I wont do do the head chopper"- the show I remember most was on a bare stage -daughter was standing to one side of the "BARE"stage - I went to turn off the audience lights,and turn on our Music, -- then went to make the dog house illusion(aribian tent??)- at that same time daughter went behind the roof(you know how the effect works??) - after I finished building the House -clap-clap- UP she arose from the empty(?) house- WHAT A SUPRIZE to the audience and applause. Fun memories. Ralph(russo)Rousseau
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
In their book "Sleights of Mind," neuroscientists Stephen Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde include a chapter about "memory illusions" magicians can create using false reconstructions of a trick after it's taken place.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2740 Posts

Profile of John Long
Doug:

I've been interested in that book for years. Maybe after I finish "The Brain", I get it Smile

.. So much magic.. so little time Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
macc
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of macc
A bit off topic but there´s also a book called "Sleight of mind: the mentalist´s toolkit" by Ian Harling and Martin Nyrup which is very very good for both mentalists and magicians.
Sadly it´s out of print and only available second hand via amazon.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I coined a term about 25 years ago for this concept. I call it creating "future magic"...and it is exactly what has been discussed so far - creating moments visually or verbally that lead people to create a remembered element of the performance that is stronger than it was in actual performance.

As was pointed out earlier, re-framing what happened (Future Magic-ese for "lying") can create a false memory later, and I like doing it on a regular basis. "I didn't touch the deck"..."You shuffled it before and after the card was selected"..."My back was turned the whole time you went looking for a card"..."I was in a different state when you put it back"....it is amazing what you can say in post patter that becomes part of the memory.

One of the more interesting aspects I have found in playing with the concept is that you can create a memory by doing something once, that gets imprinted as the way it was done multiple times. In the coins across example, you can have a couple of coins go across in a standard way. Then you, create the Future Magic moment by doing something like this: Show the coins in both hands and do whatever moves the routine requires to set up revealing the next coin has gone across. Before you do, comment on increasing the distance it has to travel - making it "harder", etc. Really separate your hands...maybe comment on the distance; "what is that, like 5 feet of space?"...pause...have spectators on either side to hold your wrists and and tell them whatever they do, DON'T LET MY HANDS COME TOGETHER!, etc. The next coin has revealed to have gone across.

What that more dramatic visual does, aside from adding some theatrical elements, is imprint more strongly in people's minds than the way the hands were help previously and as time goes by, you can get people describing that the spread and the wrist holding, et al, happened every time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Building false recollections (an important tool for magic) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL