The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Altoids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I originally placed this in the wrong forum, so I'm repeating it here.

I quit smoking close to a year ago. Part of what worked for me was Altoids mints. I use them to remind myself that my breath doesn't smell like an ashtray.

Now I have all these really cool little Altoids metal boxes hanging around. They are really nice, with a hinge and all. Every time I throw one away I think, "Couldn't I do SOMETHING with that?"

I'm at a loss though. What do you guys think? I came up with part of an idea. I sewed a magnet into an elastic strap that has velcro to adjust it and put that around my forearm. Now I can easily sleeve the box. So that's kind of cool, I can vanish one and I learned that if the magnet isn't too strong I can produce it with a sling of my arm.

That's at least a start. I thought I would paint it and use it to hold something, say my haunted key. For a while I considered talking about the haunted key, building it up, then producing the box, take out the key and vanish the box (without even mentioning it being gone), then reproducing the box after the key did it's thing and vanishing the box visibly.

I'm not satisfied with that though.

Any other ideas?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hey Tex.

Which Altoids box do you buy?
I've seen the larger ones measuring 2.25" x about 4" and a smaller one about 1.75" x 3" with a sliding lid.

By the way, there's another company that makes these hinged, metal boxes for mints called 'Award'. These measure 1.75" x 2.50" and would be a nice for Allerton's "Aspirin Tin" effect.

There's another topic on Altoid tins here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

A Café search for 'altoid' will turn up some other results as well.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I remember in Tarbell 8 I beleive a routine with a similar tin. It's in the Late Arrivals section.
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Strap one under your sleeve with a coin in it and do a "three tin monte" with three tins on the table. Once you "put" a coin in the center one, you can pick up the empty tin and shake it as though it still contains the coin, and the spec never wins. I wouldn't do this unless you had a fairly noisy situation to confuse the spec's spatial hearing.

Sammy the Kid
keeper
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
57 Posts

Profile of keeper
I read a post in the Café that people use them to transport loops and small accesories safely in their pockets. It would seem to be a great place to keep stuff in that is very innocent in appearance to have in your pocket.
Make every day a magicial adventure

Al
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Who remembers the trick where the match-box is banded to the wrist, so as to make the matches vanish and re-appear by shaking the box? 'Nother use is for carrying flash paper safely. Finally, Altoid boxes make super cigarette cases with an ashtray attached. (The top)
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
A number of years ago, Jim Pace lectured in our IBM Ring. He brought with him a tin of Altoids. He offered one to an audiance member and as he opened the tin it burst into flames.. as he said "Dang these are hot!"

I have seen it for sale on a competitors website. I'm not sure if Jim still sells them, but you might be able to create something similar.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2005-12-25 03:53, Sammy the Kid wrote:
Strap one under your sleeve with a coin in it and do a "three tin monte" with three tins on the table. Once you "put" a coin in the center one, you can pick up the empty tin and shake it as though it still contains the coin, and the spec never wins. I wouldn't do this unless you had a fairly noisy situation to confuse the spec's spatial hearing.

Sammy the Kid

You could always bring it to your ear, as if your listening to it, therfore, it would be near the fourth tin.
-Matt
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
I used to use it for a signed card to location.... I would take a mint offer a mint...a.k.a. showing the tin empty, and as I closed the tin I would load a folded card inside that I had glued a magnet to on the bottom... now later ( time delay) on I would do a card trick...sign... open the tin and show their signed card via... Mercury Card Fold and Shuttle Pass (with mints too)... the magnet held the card in the tin... and the lid would automatically close in the dumping motion.... there was another version that developed while doing this EVERY NIGHT that would allow me to keep doing the effect without having to "Load" the Magnetic Card...but its a little complicated to explain...

Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Wow nice Daniel... thanks for sharing!!!
sdmmagician
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sdmmagician
I think it would be neat to bring some prop out of the tin (rubberbands or whatever) and in doing so, show the tin otherwise empty. Set it down on the table, and later open it to show that it is now full of altoids! Maybe some type of deck switching technique could be applied here, or someone clever could develop a gimmicked tin that could allow for a much quicker production of the mints.
This gives much more purpose to the tin, and there could even be room for a running gag where the magician keeps mentioning how he'd like a mint, but finding the tin empty every time. Then at some point during the performance, the same comment is made, but the tin is then shown to be full of mints.
Just some ideas.
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
How about causing a card case to change into an Altoid box, then give yourself and an audience member a mint?

Tony Brent
"The man credit cards companies love to hate!"
Mirth and Magic
View Profile
New user
Ruckersville
12 Posts

Profile of Mirth and Magic
Don't know if anyone has seen it, but there is a great article out called Toibox by Jonathan Kamm.
It is all about using the small Altoids tin. Great effects and good directions on a Mercury Fold.
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
I just thought of one.

Give them the lid to inspect. Give them the box to inspect. When you get the lid, you load a waxed quarter onto the bottom side of the lid. Let them see you cleanly put the lid on the tin. Shake it a few times to show that it's "empty". Borrow a quarter.
Have them hold the box. You "strike" the altoid tin with their quarter and let it drop into your sleeve to be super clean. The strike will cause the quarter inside to unstick.

Viola a quarter through altoid box.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I carry my I.T. set up in an altoids box, I also painted one black & keep my Okito doll in it. I also used to do the card to box like Daniel does,these things are pretty handy.

Ichazod
lubdub
View Profile
Regular user
bloomsburg, pa
107 Posts

Profile of lubdub
In one Kenton kneppler book, he uses a sealed altoid box as a okito box....very cleaver in my opinion. if you get some creative juices running....think about a rattle box or a folded card relavation(doug brewer has an amazing dvd on that btw).

just my 2 cents,
jordan
only a magician can play a liar but then all magicians are liars
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Altoids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL