The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Tarbell Value? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Does anyone know if a second printing version of Tarbell Volume One, holds any more value than that of a recent printing?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Danny,
Not really worth a whole lot. I have all the Tarbell Tannen editions as well as the original which was sent out in actual lesson form and you put pages in a binder. I believe the entire set of all the originals is only worth about $100.00.
Now for the real trick question, Why is Ricky Jay's book, Cards as Weapons which virtually contains NO magic worth many dollars more than Tarbell..
Can anyone answer that one ?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I think it's the naked women in the book. Either that, or the pictures of Ricky Jay with the beard and 3-piece suit.

Steve Thomas
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Danny,

I really see Tarbell's books the way I do a telephone directory. It is just a reference. Granted that if your received the early individual lessions it would be different. But as just another copy of a large run book, I would buy it for the information and not its collector's future value. There are plenty of old ones available.

Having said that, I really see it as a reference book you will likely use all your life. Buy them to use, not resell. You'll get a better return on your investment.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-01-30 20:36, Bob Sanders wrote:
Having said that, I really see it as a reference book you will likely use all your life. Buy them to use, not resell. You'll get a better return on your investment.

Oh, I definitely am using the books as references, not as collectibles.

The reason I originally asked about the value, was because at the time, my wife had purchased me a 2nd printing of Tarbell #1 for Christmas. she paid about $40 for it at the used bookstore. Someone else, not knowing that my wife had already purchased one, bought me the same book (but a recent printing), from an online source, for about $20 total.

So, my wife had good intentions, and she thought I might like an older printing of the book. But since there is apparently very little value difference in the printings, we decided to return the overpriced bookstore copy, and keep the newer printing version.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There you go Danny, no reason why a magician can't also be smart.

(And it sounds like the supportive wife is priceless! You're a lucky guy. Tell her I said so!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Tarbell rocks! It can be bought on CD. But the books are fun research or reference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Tarbell Value? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL