The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Buying Tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VIO
View Profile
New user
NJ, USA
14 Posts

Profile of VIO
I'm new to magic, so I'm a little lost on the whole buying tricks idea. What do people mean by that, is it buying a gimmick, which would make sense. Or is it buying the secret to the trick, so that it can be done without a gimmick and your only paying for someone to tell you the secret?
Jason the Burger King
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Its really a combination of both. When you buy a single trick it most often consists of instructions and the necessary gimmicks. However, what I tell my customers is they are paying not just for the secret or the gimmick, but the ability to do the effect. That is why we make sure everyone purchasing a trick fully understands how the trick is done and how any gimmicks or sleights are used. We always offer to teach everything we sell. This is one advantage of shopping at a magic shop in person.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Vio, Vio, Vio,

Books, books, books.

Go to a major bookstore>games section>paperback reprints of many classics and new books, particularly by Karl Fulves.

Cards by the dozen at Costco. Coins from the bank. Other stuff from an office supply store.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
To be quite honest Magic sales probably tread a thin line in most countries. Here in UK goods have to be 'as described by the seller' and 'have to fulfil the intended purpose for which they were made'. I don't know if Trading Standards Authorities have ever challenged the general 'no return' policy of many magical dealers as the secret constitutes part of the sale. I have bought stuff even from the late great Edwin at Supreme that I personally found unworkable, but the main thing was the quality was always very high and I could sell them on. If ever I bought a piece of junk from a dealer that did not fulfil certain criteria I would ask for my money back!! I know that's not your question but I think it covers the subject pretty well. Smile
Toby Traylor
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Toby Traylor
I agree with David Fletcher, books, books, books; learn, learn, learn. Learn skills not "tricks".

Toby
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Learn to perform, and most of all learn to entertain. Doing tricks doesn't cut it. Of couse you will need an arsenal of effects, but spend an equal amount of money on books that will teach you how to entertain people and they will enjoy your performance, and in turn, you will enjoy entertaining them.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
I've got to say I agree with the last few posts. You can't do better than getting a few classic books and studying them. You will learn much more and be much better after working with a good book than you ever will working with a gimmicked trick.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello:

I had never quite thought of what 'magic' products might consist of to the novice magician.

Some magic products consist solely of the 'secret' and that is all you are buying. A small pamphlet generally with the method to the how of the trick explained. You supply the cards, coins, etc.

In other cases you need the special something supplied with the instructions. In most cases, this special something will not be easily reproduceable and thus the value of getting it from a reputable magic shop that will stand behind the product and even take it back if necessary.

Even if one buys only books or videos there are both that have tricks thereon or in that need a special piece of equipment. A copper/silver half for instance. Or, a set of cups and balls.

A good shop will act as an outlet to the supply side of the business doing what the manufacturer/suppliers really have no interest in doing and that is spending the time with you to make sure you get not just what you might 'want', but what you need and that is appropriate given skill level, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Buying Tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL