The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Compelete Mentalism Act (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Just finished watching Marc Paul's Penguin Act. Loved it. Great to see the performance, the structure, nuanced subtleties linking the start with the end, dealing with unexpected things that participants say/do in real-time, and of course, the methods at play. The final streamlined mini Q&A was fantastic and so clean!!

- Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) and 'Tacitus'
bofx
View Profile
Elite user
France
498 Posts

Profile of bofx
Penguin Magic now offers a collection of "Penguin Live Act".
I especially advise you those of Marc PAUL and Jan FORSTER.
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I agree with those discoursing buying the prepackaged acts and thinking you can do them, at the level they are produced. Most professionals take great care in there acts working out every detail to the letter and then and only then present it to the public. Then over many years and constant tweaking, make it perfect. To think one can just buy an act and perform it, is like thinking one can just buy a business they know nothing about and run it. Can't be done.

Mr. Osterlind the consummate professional once again, has given us the best advice available. Go back through the thread and read his words. They are part of the nuggets of gold, you will find on these forums.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
63 Posts

Profile of CGould
Old post or not I have found some very useful tips and opinions on this thread, thank you all who have contributed. Every time I enter the Café I find something that changes my thought process!
newguy
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of newguy
Michael Weber had one called The Act.

very good
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
If you want an example of a good/great show, Bob Cassidy's "Mental Miracles" DVD is something that I would recommend.

His work is clean the materials he used are common place and his delivery was something to behold, either on DVD or in person. His manner of delivery however is NOT worth copying, there was only one Dr. Crow, and there's no use trying to do a tribute act.

I recomend Cassidy, anything that Osterlind produces.

Just a thought or three.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
Check out the work of Luca Volpe!! He's giving you everything Smile the products are high quality,great thinking, great effects and of course all the details are explained, you will find full acts in his books and much more...Smile
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2018, snm wrote:
Necro post much? lol (This is a 13 year old thread)

Since so much time has gone by though maybe people can add some full acts that have been released in the last 13 years.

Off the top of my head I can think of:

Mick Ayres ACT series.

There is also Docc Hilford's Perfect Mental Club Act

Indeed, the Mick Ayres materials are great, especially when discussing how routines are put together or how certain effects can be framed differently.
http://www.mickayreswares.com/the_act_series
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Where is the fun, the experience, your own development if you take an act by someone else?
Holo, Lucky Coin and more: www.gedankenkunst.com/Shop.html
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2019, rodrigez wrote:
Where is the fun, the experience, your own development if you take an act by someone else?

If you are young and inexperienced, it gives you the confidence to start right away with something you know very well. Then with time and experience you can develop your own act and personality.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Rather than clone an act worked by a professional who knows what he's doing, why not study HOW to formulate an act instead? Seems very counter productive to start out COPYING someone else (also known as hacking in the entertainment industry) only to have to relearn things in ones own personal way. The mechanics are one thing but to learn an act verbatim, will hurt the budding performer. If you must start with someone else's act, try to put YOURSELF into it and make it your own.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
Quote:

If you are young and inexperienced, it gives you the confidence to start right away with something you know very well. Then with time and experience you can develop your own act and personality.

If you are young an inexperienced you should first learn the basics. Also the hows and whys. You should learn to understand an act, not blindly copying from another one. This will serve not really someone.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
[quote]On Mar 8, 2019, rodrigez wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
Quote:

If you are young an inexperienced you should first learn the basics. Also the hows and whys. You should learn to understand an act, not blindly copying from another one. This will serve not really someone.

I would agree with the above, AS WELL as the importance of gaining an understanding of how a mentalist would structure his/her performance. While I didn't clone either Bob Casisdy or Richard Osterlind, for example, seeing their performances, and how they wove the effects into the narrative, gave me an idea of the frame-work and formatting that I would need to follow in order to make the event both workable, AND believeable.

Narrative is everything, IMO in a performance. Having the effects interlink with each other is important; an example was a show that I did for an Adult Litiaery counsel. THe book tests, drawing dupliction etc., were all related to reading in some way. It was unified.

The basics are important, and should not necessarily be limited to billet switches, book tests etc. Staging and plot/charactor creation has its place.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Quote:
The basics are important, and should not necessarily be limited to billet switches, book tests etc. Staging and plot/charactor creation has its place.

Good start for the real basics are "Leading with your head" and "Structural Conception of Magic".
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Don't spend a dime on any of those. All of Derren Brown stage shows are on youtube. You can learn from one them 10 times more than you can learn from all of the above combined.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
999 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, Chris K wrote:
Quote:

Since so much time has gone by though maybe people can add some full acts that have been released in the last 13 years.

Mick Ayres ACT series.

Indeed, the Mick Ayres materials are great, especially when discussing how routines are put together or how certain effects can be framed differently.

Thank you for the kind, encouraging words about the Act-Series, guys. The whole point about the Series was to give performers (especially those who hadn't read the Tarbell 3 chapter about it) the opportunity to see how a working act was constructed...not to make cloned performers but instead, for performers to use it as a template. The last book (S'lie) was the fourth one in the series.

After nine years, I have finally released Conjure Man (Book 5 in the Act-Series) if you are interested. As usual, the presentations are original, the act builds consistently toward the finale, the transition scripts are included, and the act was performed before thousands of guests from around the world for years before I retired it and wrote it up. If you enjoy propless mentalism, you'll be happy with this one, too.

Thank again, gentlemen.

Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
johnhsawyer
View Profile
New user
Florida
53 Posts

Profile of johnhsawyer
Quote:
Necro post much? lol (This is a 13 year old thread)

Mick Ayres ACT series.

I'll second the Act Series from Mick Ayers. The revival of this thread is what first made me aware of Mick's work. After some quick research through the Café, I bought the entire set of books. There is currently a package deal being offered for all 5.

-jhs
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
597 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2020, Mick Ayres wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, Chris K wrote:
Quote:

Mick Ayres ACT series.

Thank you for the kind, encouraging words about the Act-Series, guys. The whole point about the Series was to give performers (especially those who hadn't read the Tarbell 3 chapter about it) the opportunity to see how a working act was constructed...not to make cloned performers but instead, for performers to use it as a template. The last book (S'lie) was the fourth one in the series.

After nine years, I have finally released Conjure Man (Book 5 in the Act-Series) if you are interested. As usual, the presentations are original, the act builds consistently toward the finale, the transition scripts are included, and the act was performed before thousands of guests from around the world for years before I retired it and wrote it up. If you enjoy propless mentalism, you'll be happy with this one, too.

Thank again, gentlemen.

Mick

After doing some research I decided to take a plunge and ordered the Act Series. I am in the process of scripting my act so I am looking forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks.
kleqy
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of kleqy
Completetly surprised how no one mentionned Bob Cassidy.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10264 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
They did. On the tip of this page.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Compelete Mentalism Act (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL