We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which switch - and is it magical? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1652 Posts

Profile of Ross W
If I'm to learn a bill switch, what's the best source?

And - perhaps more to the point - is any bill switch really magical? *Surely* the spectators know *exactly* what's just happened... they just don't know exactly when or exactly how?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Andy G
View Profile
Regular user
Terra Australis
180 Posts

Profile of Andy G
Phantomas has nice visual bill change he sells for $15, there's another thread about it on the board, and you can see his video of it.

But I agree with what you're saying, which is why I don't care for the bill switch - it's just not believable.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Ooooh, this begs the question, Andy... what magical effects do you do that ARE believable... and if they're believable, are they magical? Isn't magic, by definition, beyond belief?

Cheers,

Lance
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1652 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I think quite a few things that "we" do are magical - isn't that the point? At any rate they should defy the rational analysis that most people are prepared to devote to it.

Take the simple TT silk vanish. Done well (and, ahem, I think I'm not bad at it) this defies rational analysis. What options are open to the spectator?

a) It went up his sleeve. Well, I usually roll mine up so that's one sorted
b) He secretly conceals it in his hand. Even with a TT, a convincing "nothing in my hands" display is possible.
c) It went in his pocket. Nope - his hands were nowhere near his pocket, and besides, how come he made it reappear?
d) Err... you got me! That really looks like magic!

See what I mean? With a bill transformation, the deduction might go like this:

a) He must have switched the #5 for the #20. Hmmm- yup! I didn't see him do it, though. How clever!

Clever - but magic?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
In another thread in the Food for Thought forum, there's a conversation going on that's trying to untangle exactly these questions and more. I'm convinced that it's possible to do the Bill Change in a way that a "switch" doesn't seem possible, but it has to be approached just so.

Cheers,

Lance
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
The bill switch is one of my signature pieces.
Their bill to a hundred, back to their bill. Then their bill to envelope in wallet.
It is all in the presentation. The show. The acting.
You have to give it away to keep it.
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
I agree with David..
It gets one of the strongest reactions of the effects I do..
I change their bill (looking to see if it is counterfeit) and change it to the mis-made bill.. Smile
Lucas Walker
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
125 Posts

Profile of Lucas Walker
There is a great TT bill change I saw while I was in Belgium. It fried tons of magicians and specators alike. I personally saw it used in impromptu bar situations and was veritably impressed. The magician I was with got a free drink out of the deal... A color and denomination change would be pretty impressive I think. Like a regular dollar to monopoly money?...Just a thought. Good luck.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I do a lot of coin magic so I purposely lead people down the wrong path on the bill switch. It goes like this:

Have you ever been to a vending machine that accepted dollar bills and it keeps spitting your dollar bill back out and won't accept it? Have you ever wished you could turn your dollar bill into quarters? How many quarters is a bill worth? (answers 4). I have found a really neat way to turn a dollar bill into four quarters. I show my hands empty of any coins. (Fold, fold, fold do the bill switch for a mismade bill).

Here is your bill in four quarters!

It's a play on words that catches them by suprise.

They never see it coming.

I always tell them quite honestly, a bill in four quarters works even worse in the soda machine, trust me I have tried! Let me show you how to fix it if you accidently fold your bill into quarters - then I fix the bill and hand it back.

I can't count the times people sit there folding their bill trying to fold it into quarters. There is a psycological difference from turning a $1.00 into a $100 - it's an obvious switch. If you turn a bill inside out - I don't know why but often people really believe you actually did that - I guess it's not as far of a mental stretch.
Click to visit:
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That's good dan.

It also seems like the monopoly money gag could work quite well on a heckler, Awol.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I agree with dan. The mismade bill is much stronger. Sankey has a nice non-threatening routine where he solves a puzzle. 4 holes, one in each corner of the bill join in one corner. As far as best bill switch? I've seen Visibill which you can see at http://www.magicsmith.com/ and that is by far the nicest looking bill switch. WooHOo! I just realized this is post 100! Smile
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I am also looking for a good bill switch. Does anyone know anything about these two below? I'm looking for a good clean examinable switch. (no TT)

5 & 1 Bill Transposition (This is not Ultimate Bill Transpostion)
http://www.magical-tricks.com/Bill%20Transposition.htm

1-100 Bill Switch
http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup.html#lp2426
danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of danny
Jay Sankey explains it on one of his best of videos. I think it's number two
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
See my post under Mismade Bill.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
I can't count the times people sit there folding their bill trying to fold it into quarters. There is a psycological difference from turning a $1.00 into a $100 - it's an obvious switch. If you turn a bill inside out - I don't know why but often people really believe you actually did that - I guess it's not as far of a mental stretch.

Actually it makes sense if you don't know about magical techniques...

If you show me a one dollar bill and then
"change" it into something that isn't a one dollar bill the obvious answer is that it isn't the same bill.

If, on the other hand, you show me a dollar and change it in some significant way (like the mismade bill) and yet it is still a one dollar bill there are too many questions at one time for there to be only one solution. Is it a real bill? Is it the same bill?

Changing a one to a hundred is, of course, a switch. As Carl Balletine says: "How else?"

The mis-made bill version raises more than one question and makes it harder for the audience to process.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Quote:
5 & 1 Bill Transposition (This is not Ultimate Bill Transpostion)
http://www.magical-tricks.com/Bill%20Transposition.htm

You know I see this a lot it seems.. kinda misleading advertising. At the end he says
"Both bills can easily be handed out for examination". Which isn't true, but it appears so because he's switched the gimicked five dollar bill. I've seen this demonstrated before and I'm assuming it's the same as shown in this video, if not excuse me while I remove foot from mouth, but if so... why say something in the video that isn't true? Am I way off base here?
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I am completely with Dan Watkins.
I've been doing the bill switch for at least ten years. As some of you know, pre Euro-European bills were of different color. the effect was ok, but people always wondered where the original bill went.

Then came out the Euro. And I have been so fortunate to got my hands on a mismade Euro-bill. Don't ask me... it is illegal as *&((!

Now the effect has increased to me at least 200%!! Because of the no color change there is an utterly unbelievable deformation of a borrowed bill. Peoples eyes literally bulge when they see this.

Almost 90% of my spectators are immediately folding it to see what happens (some weird twist on the Too perfect theory?).

The very nature of the mismade bill makes the suspicion of a billswitch much, much smaller.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
[quote]ChessMess wrote:
"You know I see this a lot it seems.. kinda misleading advertising. At the end he says
"Both bills can easily be handed out for examination". Which isn't true, but it appears so because he's switched the gimicked five dollar bill."

I agree. Even though I assumed that a switch had occured in the pocket in order to make the spectator believe that both bills were normal, it is misleading.
CoinsFallUp
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
61 Posts

Profile of CoinsFallUp
There's an interesting idea for a bill switch using a mismade bill by Marc DeSouza called Picasso's Bill. It appears in Cyber Sessions pg. 96. It doesn't teach you a bill switch, but it's an interesting addition which could make the effect more interesting.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Marc uses Kevin King's handling though without the TT.
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which switch - and is it magical? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL