The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Laser...did his legs ever walk away from his body? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Amen Brother!

Whats up with this worshiping of camera tricks anyway? Don't get me wrong. Angel is a genius for exploiting this market. He'll make millions on tour because he has built a name...but face it...they are camera tricks.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Why does everyone not want to listen to the real reason DC won't come to England?

It is not my invention at all.
It is and has been for some time public knowledge that DC has been snubbing England deliberately.

It isn't a magic secret!

But if you don't wish to comment on that, please don't make excuses.

Let's move on...
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 14:30, Timothy Drake wrote:
Amen Brother!

Whats up with this worshiping of camera tricks anyway? Don't get me wrong. Angel is a genius for exploiting this market. He'll make millions on tour because he has built a name...but face it...they are camera tricks.

I agree!

I am strongly against the use of TV manipulation to reach the desired effect or to make claims that something happened when it didn't.

And that's by anyone!

If you do one form of levitation and then cut and paste it with shots of reaction from something else and then for good measure, paste in an entirely different form of levitation... then something is very wrong indeed!

That is why we got the phrase "You people at home will see exactly what you would see is you were here in the studio audience" - You can hardly say that for Blaine's levitation or if you were sitting behind Copperfield in many of his Tornado of fire illusions.

If we are now allowed to use video effects, then I (and everyone else) can go out and be the greatest magician in the world tomorrow!

It is damaging to our profession.

Anyone can do video effects - not everyone can do illusions.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Shrubsole wrote:
Quote:
Why does everyone not want to listen to the real reason DC won't come to England?

Who knows DC why not goes to England? Could be hundrets of reason. Money, schedule, people etc. Here is an example. David Blaine went to London did his stunt with the box and what he got? People was yelling at him throwing eggs etc. He told on Larry King show how bad he felt that time. Who wants that? Those people who was there should respect him. Maybe DC doesn't want to go because some of the english fun not very nice. We heard a lot about English funs what they done on the soccer games. There are other big names such as Franz Harrary (my favorite illusionist)and lots of people never heard of him. How many times was he in England? He is busy in Japan and other countries. Now let me ask you something. Where are the English illusionists? We don't see them here in North America. They might busy in England and have no time to come here.

Las
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
They might busy in England and have no time to come here.

About the man who does Europian tours almost every year! Smile

All I'm saying is that this is not something that is new.
It has been well know for years!

Then a few posters on here have popped up, ignored all of that and go off on a waffling trip as to their own personal theories as to why it is.

If no one wishes to listen, that's ok: As they say, no skin off my noses.

But all this making excuses for his disgusting behaviour is just covering up the facts of how an otherwise extremely talented man is treating his English fans.

We must have been invaded by soon DC fans from his official site. Smile

I'll make this my last post on this topic on this thread as it is very off topic.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Brits didn't show DC any love, they didn't show David Blaine any love, and now neither of those two performers will want to come and perform in England.

As a rule, performers only play where they're appreciated.

DC doesn't like playing England because the English don't show him any love...something you might have to just live with.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 00:10, silverking wrote:
The Brits didn't show DC any love, they didn't show David Blaine any love, and now neither of those two performers will want to come and perform in England.

DC doesn't like playing England because the English don't show him any love.....something you might have to just live with.

Again - factually incorrect Smile

Granted, Blaine never got the response he wanted because let's face reality here: It was a bloke in a stupid perspex box! - So no! the English public are going to laugh at him! (Did you Americans think that was wonderful?) Smile

Quote:

No! As a rule performers have to work for appreciation - idiots that march around thinking they are God and demand respect, normally do get laughed at!

This is England: We clap after the performance if it was any good, not as American do, before they have seen anything!

DC on the other hand was well received and played to sell out audiences - It was the English Press that gave him a hard time. Not his fans - so please get your facts right before posting inacurate rubbish!

And if lesser mortals like Barry Manilow can raise above what the press say Everytime he comes here so that he can please his English fans, why can't the great DC?

Now think up some new excuses that I haven't heard and that hold some water!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Your post is far to hostile to warrant a response from any Americans who don't know when to clap.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Luckily for Barry Manilow, he doesn't have to troupe with two tractor trailers-worth of expensive props and equipment. Reviewers' opinions are often directly related to how many people show up. If there are good reviews of a performer generally more people will go to see it (Anyone here see "Gigli" the movie? I didn't think so.). It is not hard to fathom that Copperfield and his crew, upon seeing the reviews they had received, realized that they would be walking uphill backwards in order to make any sort of semblance of a profit in the UK. Remember Copperfield isn't so much a performer as he is a business enterprise. If something looks like it's not going to net him enough to justify the expense, chances are he's not going to do it.

I really do hate arguing over these sort of things. Copperfield is not here to explain himself, so all we are left with is our own speculation and presumptions. And inevitably we will all tend to believe our own opinions. No side is going to win the other one over, so let's stop this...unless of course Copperfield thinks it would benefit him to make a brief appearance (Pun intended) to settle the matter once and for all. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the odd of that happening are pretty slim. So let's get back to the topic at hand.

I remember when I first saw Laser during Copperfield's Dreams & Nightmares tour. My one thought was simply that the effect was impressive, but I wish that they would better light the stage. As it was, an elephant painted black could be standing on stage during that routine and no one would have noticed...unless of course it decided to make noise, or the stage suddenly collapsed. When I saw the effect again during his Portal tour, I thought to myself, "That's how you light this effect!" It was lit just the right amount so that the audience could see him, and anyone with a slight knowledge of BA would not suspect the use of a second person in the effect (Yes, I have heard that theory).

The thing that does not help with the whole "Did his legs walk away" situation is that his promo pics show him clearly detached from his lower appendages.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Isn't that what he wants people to remember??? ...that his legs walked away ?

I bet he does nothing to correct the mis-information regards the 747 vanish. I wouldn't if I were him.

Best,

Tim
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
Im assuming that this trick was invented for Copperfield and no one else has the rights to build it huh?
Dreams are a matter of choice, not chance. Live your Dreams. -DC
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 17:05, brandonford1982 wrote:
Im assuming that this trick was invented for Copperfield and no one else has the rights to build it huh?

Bingo!

All other versions/performances fall into the " I'll do it because I can" ripoffs category.

Best,

Tim
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 17:05, brandonford1982 wrote:

Long story short: Steve Fearson invented what we now know as "Laser." He couldn't get the logistics of making this a marketable effect to work FOR him, so when Copperfield approached him asking for exclusivity he knew that it was one of the smartest choices. An undisclosed amount (Read: a lot of moolah) was traded for the exclusive performance and building rights, and now it's all Copperfield's.

If I made any mistakes, please correct me.

Nick Fox

FoxIllusions.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
About the whole England thing...

I am originally from the UK, and went to see his show when I was seven years old...

FACT: 45 minutes late.

Maybe that's why he got some bad rep.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 22:53, Clock wrote:
About the whole England thing...

I am originally from the UK, and went to see his show when I was seven years old...

FACT: 45 minutes late.

Maybe that's why he got some bad rep.

That wasn't an afternoon performance at the Hammersmith Apollo (Odeon) was it?
Only he was very late starting that one due to a tube (subway) strike and started by saying I can see the newspapers tomorrow "Magician who can fly, gets stuck in traffic!"
That won the audience and the rest was the greatest show of any kind I have ever seen!

It's only the press that give him and all other celebrities both foreign and national, bad press - His fans only complaint about his attitude to this and openly snubbing us for 10 years and counting!

A sold out tour no matter what the press had to say - but his last!

Posted: Jan 6, 2006 11:32pm
---------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 17:15, Timothy Drake wrote:

Bingo!

All other versions/performances fall into the " I'll do it because I can" ripoffs category.

Best,

Tim

If the earlier video is anything to go by, I think that should read:

"I'll do it because I can't - Plus it's so cheap to do it so badly"

:lol:
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Maybe David Copperfield doesn't want to go to Europe or England because it is Peter M.'s territory. Peter M. is famous for his flying around the audience ala David Copperfield flight. (keep forgetting that darn name.. anybody?)

So that might mean competition or perhaps he bought that trick off of Peter and it's licensing doesn't allow DC to perform it in Europe!

Last time the Fearson Laser Effect was discussed there were all kinds of people posting that DC would sue anyone trying to perform his allegidly purchased laser off of Fearson. Well, as you can see the lawsuites are rampant! Hahaha!

More scare tactics from people of this forum. Magic is not a prevledge to only a select few. If you think you can do it.. then try... and don't post it on this board for you will be flamed to no end.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Glad to see Troller is on the side of ethics with this one. Sorry, I can't help being a little sarcastic.

It's true, magic is not only for a select few, but knowing its secrets IS a privilege, and knowing how something works doesn't give you the right to create it yourself. I could talk on this subject all day, but it would get me nowhere since I know that I would never change your mind, Troller, and you would never change mine.

As to the the whole Peter Marvey/David Copperfield thing:

A) Copperfield now longer performs Flying, so there's no way he could view Marvey's Dream Flight (I believe that's the name) as a threat to his current program.
B) Peter Marvey's flying is different from Coppefield's. Marvey's allows him to fly out over the audience's heads, if I am not mistaken, whereas Copperfield's keeps him tethered to the stage. DC's was designed by John Gaughn, Peter Marvey's, as far as I know, was not designed by Gaughn.
C) Copperfield has the worldwide performance right for Gaugn's flying last I heard.
D) Please note, it was already said that DC DOES perform in Europe, just not the UK.
E) Just becuase Copperfield doesn't sue these clowns who imitate him doesn't make it any less wrong. I'm sure he has examined the situation with his attorney and they have folund that it would waste more money (court costs and such) to sue these guys than they could ever get out of them in the end.

That is all.

Nick Fox

FoxIllusions.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
A very good post there, Nick!

The only one I could add would be:

F) Copperfield has "flown" in England - He did "flying" the very last time he came here.

Chris
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I seem to rember receiveing an email that DC was considering doing a tour of the UK soon, but it woul dcome down to a choice between Japan and the UK. And due to the high exchange rate between £ and $ it seemed unlikely to be the UK.

Another reason I have read several times from unofficial reports was that the UK was blacklisted due to many negative responses from the press, making performing unenjoyable (and quite possible uneconomical)
Nick
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
The UK fans don't listen to the press - and he was sold out last time he dared to come.

It is that very listening to the press and sod the fans attitude that is (not to unsuprisingly) annoying the UK fans.

Still! He could always do Germany again for about the 10 time! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Laser...did his legs ever walk away from his body? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL