The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Laser...did his legs ever walk away from his body? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Ok..so ask any laymen over 20. LOL

Just for kicks I just did a google search for (Copperfield vanish 747) and got lots of pages talking about his fantastic vanish of a 747.

Best,

Tim
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
That's so funny.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Ha, that video is probably one of the saddest things I've ever seen.
Zaubern Smile
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 12:13, silverking wrote:

I admire their effort, but they have much more work to do.

Ok SILVERKING, which one of these guys is you? [joking]

I noticed that they both had a cat walk by in the video. Is that mandatory misdirection? Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Quote:
I noticed that they both had a cat walk by in the video. Is that mandatory misdirection? Smile

What?! You don't use a cat when you perform? Well, how do you manage to misdirect your audience without a cat?! Show me a way to do that and I will eat a Zig-Zag.

And now to remove my tongue from my cheek...

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
OK Glod you caught me, I'm the first guy........

I'm planning of marketing this video a-la Chris Angel, what do you think of asking $99.95?

I',m not actually going to reveal the method, but I'm going to do the routine so poorly that you'll just figure it out by watching it!.....it's a new concept.

*kidding*
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 02:25, bmworldtour wrote:
Lol - look at this - http://www.bambinidisatana.com/illusionismo/laser.wmv

best performance of the laser illusion I have seen yet - lol -

:rotf: Thanks for that I needed a good laugh!

It was so bad, I was wondering at many points which iluusion they were actually trying to do! Smile

They even had the wrong music!

So remember folks! Just stuff loads of underpants into your trousers and you're onto a winner! Smile

I have an illusion were I float around the stage on 6 inch fat cable! Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 22:34, Starrpower wrote:
Tim, I suspect if you were to ask almost any layman the type of plane Copperfield vanished, and they're more likely to answer "Who?" Remember, this happened 20 years ago, and even though he is still one of the top-grossing acts in show biz, DC's lack of recent TV specials makes him an almost unknown to the 20-and-under set.

Ask anyone of any age in England (who isn't a magician) who David Copperfield is and you will get blank looks.

This is Copperfields fault for snubbing England for about 12 years!

He can't be bothered - so our TV companies can't be bothered - neither can the people of England!
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Why doesn't he go to England?
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
I assume it costs a bomb to ship his show over here to the UK; maybe the last time he came it wasn't that lucrative (though I went twice when he was over here and the place was packed to the rafters!)

I too wish he'd come over again - they were two incredible nights of magic.
Dream-Concepts
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Dream-Concepts
Cost mainly- as has been mentioned we're an island so there's HUGE cost involved in getting the show over here such that it's not economical to play theatres; he has to do arenas. If you want to build up a fanbase and establish a new audiance you can't do it in 10,000 seat arenas.

Also his previous tour over here was timed to perfectly co-incide with the uk magic overload (tooo much magic on) so it did very badly financially; net result, no-one wants to take the risk of investing in another risky tour in an un-developed territory when he could just do a couple of extra dates in mainland europe and make 10times the revenue.
Our annual sale of Costumes & props is now on - view them at www.IllusionExchange.com
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Cost? when he comes to the rest of Europe nearly every year!

It's an old story but it's basically the fact that our press wasn't complimentary to him lack time he was here, so he went into a strop and made the English fans suffer for something they have no control over.

Truly great magician - sadly a very nasty sulking bitter man.

Barry Manilow gets bad press every time he sets foot in this country, but is adult enough to laugh at them and play to sold out houses.

This isn't something new, it's been well know for years.

But if the some UK DC fans wish to burry their heads and claim any other made up excuse, that's fine. Smile

Suggest you check his offical website and the cover up that they try and put on it - Cost has never been used as an excuse. - But they have commented on the bad press which somehow we normal people are being held responsible for.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Now I'm no expert in BA, but couldn't' this effect be much more powerful using a BA system? Then the legs could really walk away from the body.
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
He took it out from the show from what I hear, to make modifications or something....

or did he take it out because of the method being tipped to thousands at some point in the year 2001 when he planted people for Tornado of Fire?

Or did he retire it cause it's had it's share of years in his live theater repertoire?

One of his best though and underrated performances.

His Statue of Liberty is already overrated and I wished lay audiences would associate him more with Snow, Barclay House or even this one The Laser. aka Fearson'S Splitting Image.
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-01-03 06:55, MrBiddle wrote:
...His Statue of Liberty is already overrated and I wished lay audiences would associate him more with Snow, Barclay House or even this one The Laser. aka Fearson'S Splitting Image.

Indeed! If I hear people say, "Oh the one who vanished the Statue Of Liberty", one more time, I'll scream!

But again that is the problem in England, one of the last things DC performed here WAS the Barclay House - and that never got shown on our national TV, so not many here (lay people) have seen it. As for anything that came after that, including The Laser or Portal/The Island, it never happened as far as 99% of English people are concerned.

Also DC's TV specials haven't been once a year for many years now.

Is it any wonder that the majority of people only vaguely know DC as that magician who vanished the Statue Of liberty ?

David Blaine is far more well known (He actually came to England!)
Blaine was never my favourite, but it would seem that DC has given up what he used to be known for and is now doing a poor man's David Blaine impersonation:
Complete with using Video Lying in his last TV special and cutting back on the big emotional illusions that made him famous and instead does interactive stuff with the audience.

So if anyone what's to go for the big emotional story telling type illusion show, there is currently a big vacancy!
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2006-01-03 04:25, RSD wrote:
Now I'm no expert in BA, but couldn't' this effect be much more powerful using a BA system? Then the legs could really walk away from the body.

I think the problem here is that it would look like you were using BA.

There are two types of BA shows:
One's that are obviously BA with fluorescent colours and UV lighting. With tricks like cutting peoples heads off and climbing ladders and then vanishing at the top.

...and then there is the type of BA that is used in quite a number of DC illusions that I could mention. In these illusions, it is designed not to even look like BA is being used - You only know if you are into that sort of thing.

So, yes! You could use BA to do the effect, but it would just look as fake as the normal (but still entertaining) UV type BA work.
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
BA is used in Barclay House Reappearance Sequence and Thirteen without exposing what BA is or without exposing how either of those two are done..... the employment of BA is sooooooo subtle with TIME misdirection and a lot of psychology.

That's why those 2 illusions I mentioned are among one the STRONGEST MAGIC in DC's repertoire... especially the latter - the Barclay House reapparance.

If BA would be used in the Splitting Image/Laser illusion I think it would be far more blatant than how DC would normally prefer BA.

I'm no expert - but hey I also heard BA is used at some point very subtly in SNOW Smile

Hmmmmmmm
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Indeed, Mr Biddle. Those were the very illusions that I was thinking about as the second type. The type where BA is used IN an illusion not AS the illusion.

I saw the Barclay House reappearance live on stage the very last time DC was here. Now that was long ago when my knowledge of BA was even worse than it is now! And of all the illusions that night, the reappearance was the only one that totally floored me. It had me saying "Hold on! You can't do that!" - It made me feel like an 8 year old feels when he sees an illusion for the first time and sadly, that doesn't happen very often now.

Back then, my knowledge of BA was limited to fluorescent/UV use. It was DC who educated me!

Easy for DC who has total control of the set up and venue, not to mention a stage set that costs millions!

There are many other new illusions were DC employs undetectable BA to great effect, but I won't go into that outside the Secret Sessions section.

:)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Yeah...that DC, he's a has-been.
Multiple sold out runs at the MGM in Vegas, touring to sold out houses all over the US and Canada.
He's washed up for sure.

I hear he's selling of his collection to pay his crew's wages....and his rent.

...Come on!...DC is still the biggest thing out there. He's held in high regard by the public, fellow magicians, builders, designers, collectors.

He's doing what magicians have always done, big shows in theatres for huge numbers
of fans who like their magic live.

Take a look at his schedule on his web site....he doesn't do England because he's solidly booked in North America.

Just for interest, can anybody provide a list of live dates performed by David Blaine, or Chris Angel...make those dates past and present please........you can't because they don't perform live.

They're like the Monkees, or The Partrige Family on TV...they only exist on the screen, and in your imagination.
DC's out there every night putting it out for the fans to see live...baby...live!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Angel may not have a show now, but at the very least he used to do live shows. Blaine on the other hand...

It really is a shame that a combination of bad geography and bad timing seems to have kept DC out of the UK for now.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Laser...did his legs ever walk away from his body? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL