The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Protocols of Obsidian Oblique (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Maybe this thread will help explain to some people why The Fitch Kohler Professional Holdout isn't for sale, but rather leased for $1,849.95, and the terms of that lease are nothing to sneeze at.

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
PossumSlimm
View Profile
New user
MN
79 Posts

Profile of PossumSlimm
Yes, there was a CDR included (not a pressed disc, incidentally) including an mpeg file that shows Alain demonstrating the moves--no sound, if I'm recalling correctly. The mpeg was probably circulated with the .pdf, I would imagine.

Apart from all this, it's a great peek. If I'd planned to continue using it, I'd have held onto the book myself.

John, I'm not sure that your comparison is entirely fair. The physics of pirating a carefully machined holdout and scanning a 100 page book are vastly different. The leasing system is a valid response to the abuses of intellectual property in the magic world, but I'm cautious of justifying it on the basis of the occasional scanned book. Doing so glosses over several more interesting questions regarding the sale and resale of secrets, etc.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Perhaps a system can be instigated such as some fine artists have: A contract that the artist is to be advised upon change of ownership of the artpiece, and that exchange price be revealed, and the artist to receive a portion (residual) of that profit.

Of course, that would not affect illegal copying, but would, in this case, at least have given Mr Bellon some later profits from the resale of his work. In the case of Mr Bellon, it is apparent that, at each new owner of his work, he should receive an amount of profit AT LEAST equal to the profits of a single copy of the original book. And more if it sold for more.

I predict increasingly stringent rules for the transfer of high-end secrets in the field.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2005-12-30 19:10, PossumSlimm wrote:
John, I'm not sure that your comparison is entirely fair. The physics of pirating a carefully machined holdout and scanning a 100 page book are vastly different. The leasing system is a valid response to the abuses of intellectual property in the magic world, but I'm cautious of justifying it on the basis of the occasional scanned book. Doing so glosses over several more interesting questions regarding the sale and resale of secrets, etc.

I don't necessarily disagree wholy with that, but the lease (license) agreement parallels those I've been part of in the music industry. A well written agreement of this type is a beautiful instrument.

Ebooks fall into established copyright territory, which a well written agreement trumps. First sale doctrine is federal law and there's no arguing against someone's right to sell an otherwise unencumbered protected work. So, what does work? A license agreement.

As for the justification of using it, I think we'll see more and more of it on things worthy of protection. And, as Tom notes above: "I predict increasingly stringent rules for the transfer of high-end secrets in the field." My friend Walter Blaney and his associates worked hard on such a thing in the world of illusions. The agreement is the instrument that can mitigate a lot of the piracy we see now, so long as its infractions are enforced.

Steganography and digital watermarking is a lot more sophisticated now than ever before. Technology is not the question; the question is its application and, more importantly, enforcement.

Anyone doubt Kohler and Fitch mean what they say about enforcing their agreement? I don't.

John

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6206 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Speaking of this, I just put up my copy of Obisidian Oblique at the auction site. It is number 19 out of 100.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Uriah Fuller
View Profile
New user
SuperMind
59 Posts

Profile of Uriah Fuller
It looks like Greg's copy is going high in the auction. It's at $355 right now. Anyone want to predict what it'll finally go for?

Uriah
What confessions can you make when your Supermind stands awake - UF
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up in the neighborhood of $655.

John

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Protocols of Obsidian Oblique (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL