The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Silent routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Maybe it's just me, but I get very impatient for a magician to start a trick and really wish he'd stop yapping, or dancing around or whatever. Copperfield performs that neat laser cut-in-half illusion, but half the clip on the internet is assistants dancing around. Get on with it already! Ug! So many tricks are so visual they speak for themselves. These are the ones I like best. And I'm not that great at dialogue comedy or being very charismatic, so I was thinking a silent routine, no speaking at all, would be best for me. Are there any magicians that do this? Any examples?
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
It's the patter, the showmanship, the presentation, the movement that makes magic an art! Presentation makes all the difference. I have seen a magician do an effect I have seen done many times, one I knew how part of the effect works, but this magician used incredible patter and turned it into an incredible effect. Yes, there are times for silence (the Silent Treatment [the trick] for example) and stillness but you have to be careful.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
There are many magicans that do silent routines. one that comes to mind is jeff McBride he dose a lot of his routines silently.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Whether or not you do a 'silent' routine depends entirely on your style. A totally silent routine might be a little boring to an audience. Adding music to a silent routine can ad more interest and drama. If you routine some of your effects by syncronizing them to music, the result can be very interesting. For instance, if you open with quick flashy visual effects that happen quickly, your music could also reflect that same tempo. Then you could do some creative editing and change to a more mysterious slower song for dramatic effect.

Basically, the idea is to not just 'perform' magic... but to 'entertain' the audience with your presentation. The sky's the limit. The only drawback to an 'all silent' show (even one with music) is that you can't really interact verbally with your audience on a personal level. There are many advantages to personally 'connecting' with your audience. Magicians like Copperfield, McBride, etc., use a lot of silent performaces (to music)... but, at some point, the music stops and they connect with their audiences.

Study how others perform and find a happy medium which suits your style. Copperfield's show might be 40% music... 60% verbal. You may want yours to be 70% music (silent)... 30% verbal. Whatever your mix... keep it interesting to the audience. You are in control. You should lead them on a journey which takes them up and down... fast and slow... dramatic and whimsical, etc.

Your audience should leave feeling as though they've seen an entertaining performance... not just a few magic tricks.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Without words you hamper yourself somewhat because you lose so many possibilities for misdirection. eg when a magician makes a joke, however bad, often there's some dirty work going on.
Jolyon Jenkins
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You can do your show 100% to music but then you have to be very good at communicating with things other than your voice. Misdirection does not come from speaking but rather timing so using only music is fine. You should compare Jeff McBride who does most of his magic if not all to music(or sound if you prefer the term) with someone like Eugene Burger who is a great story teller and does all his magic while speaking. Both are masters of the art yet their performance styles differ.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
There is one card effect I do in silence: it's a Paul Harris effect that incorporates his invisible palm (excuse me, "plam") and his Venezuela Vanish. It's written up in Las Vegas Close Up.

His instructions contain the patter that he uses, and of course it's very funny. But as I was working through the effect, I realized that the visual impact of what was apparently happening was incredibly intense, and that through mere gestures, I could gain a bigger "bang" with the people for whom I was performing than with patter.

So, I'll make a point that most effects call for patter...but that in this case, I ask them to watch my hands closely. The effect is superb, and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend shuttin' yer yap when performing it.

:)
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
What. There are some magicians who aren't silent? Smile (deaf joke)

Seriously though. If you've read my post titled "Why I don't care for mentalism acts" you'll get an idea of my take on this. Please read that post rather then defend mentalism to me. It was only my personal opinion and it had a lot to do with my deafness as a spectator to a mentalism act.

Anyway, as a magician we want to see the trick or illusion. The presentation is very important but we usually get a thrill of seeing something done we've never seen before. Or even something we know how it's done and we want to see how well the performer pulls it off. Or maybe adds an original twist to it.

My opinion is that if anything is going to be added to a trick or act it has to be something that is entertaining. If there are going to be lots of girls doing a dance then that dance needs to be entertaining (There are many ways that can or can't be entertaining Smile ).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
I do a silent routine right now for metamorphisis and a palanquin girl production. I do that because the illusion speeks for them self and I hate having to explain or talk it thru ..... I also get very energetic if I do a silent routine as long as it is to up beat music (like jock jams or somthing like that ) so I agree with you definately try a silent routine and see if you get the same response or a better response from thw audiance when you do it non silent
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
It isn't beginner, and I certainly have tons of trouble, but Apollo and Shoot's Cultural Exchange and Cultural Exchange 2 is close-up routines that were made to be used in noisy places, unless you add your own patter.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Silent acts are golden for me. I travel a lot- and if you think about it; internationally: silent acts are better. You'll get booked more outside the United States. Reason being that if you have a music act- it can go anywhere. No English- no problem. Works well if you want more bookings.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Correct me if I am wrong, but Copperfield does also silent rutines sometimes...like Floating Rose etc.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I always enjoy silent routines. a nice flourish routine with some ambiental music in the background is always nice.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Cultural exchange is an entire DVD only with silent routines. It is very good and had card and coin magic in it
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
My Linking Rings routine is done silently. I was walking in the forest alone last week when a tree fell right in front of me.

I didn't hear it.

Seriously, I attended a Max Howard lecture recently. For those that don't know this wonderful man, he is an award winning actor. He's older, could be in his 60's or 70's. He appeared a little frail, but then he put on a robe to perform a trick. In this trick he was supposed to be a king of a distant land. Right in front of my eyes he grew about 6 inches. He pointed one finger and swept it out over the crowd.

"I OWWWWWN YOUR VERY SOULS"

His voice boomed without being loud. It sort of penetrated my skin. For a glimpse of a moment I almost believed him.

He insprired me. I've just signed up for acting lessons at my local college. The first class will be concentrating on voice and stage presence.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2864 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
That's great, rikbrooks. I think you'll find it VERY applicable to your magic indeed. Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have performed my silent-magic comedy show with great audience involvement, connection and fun for more than twenty years.

Having started out as a "young" speaking magician, then studying Mime, I found out that a melding of the two works wonders. The white face went on for two years, and has been off for more than twenty, but the thrill and fun of performing magic silently has never worn thin.

For many years, my wife and I, together, under the stage names "Max & Maxine" have performed our highly-interactive and fun-filled mingling magic silently during the cocktail and supper periods, as well.

To view a videoclip of Max & Maxine performing mingling magic “without words”, we invite you to visit our web site at: http://www.maxmagician.com Once you're into the site, click onto the Close-Up page. For a glimpse of our silent-comedy stage show, click onto our Stage Show page.

A three card monte, Three Ring routine, cut and restored rope, infinite amount of card tricks, pickpocketing, and much much more can all be performed close up, with astounding success and mutual satisfaction to both performer and spectator(s).

Study Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and more recently Avner the Eccentric,
to learn to communicate silently (and effectively)with your audiences.
See http://www.avnertheeccentric.com to enjoy Avner's wonderful videoclips.

In addition to Avner, to enjoy a treat from another extremely talented present-day silent-performer, visit the site of present-day entertainer/magician/comedian Paul Romhany at: http://www.chaplinmagic.com/

David Shiner (Cirque du Soleil fame) is an amazinfgly talented communicator with his audience silently, without words.

Jeff McBride can do an entire show without words (and I recall that he trained exclusively this way at the onset of his career) and still connect totally with his audience.

Words are not needed for misdirection nor to entertain, relationships built on trust with your audience are.

To satisfy my personal enjoyment of building a talking relationship with my audiences, I perform at Trade Shows and have developed other personas (that talk) over the years.

Mentalism "could" be done silently, but I have found it more effective to speak my mind (and theirs!).

Hope some of this is helpful and of interest.

A mime class or clowning classes are not required, though these may certainly help to inspire in the performer a physicality with the audience ("interaction") without words and so should be considered.

"Try, you (may)like it" might be an appropriate phrase of encouragement at this point.

And let us know how it goes.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
moosemanty
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of moosemanty
I would say Jay scott Berry's symphony on the ring and ribbon on his whole video he litteraly never says one word.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Want a good silent act- watch Bobby Torkova.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2864 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Definitely interesting, Jonathan. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Silent routines? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL