The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Silent routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the positive feedback Laurie.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I am hoping to put together a black and white magic show?? , when I mentioned this to another entertainer, he said what about adding a charlie chaplin routine to magic, now its got me thinking.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 10:40, TomaskoMagic wrote:
Silent acts are golden for me.

They used to say "Silence is Goldin".

///ark
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I work silently to music. It has been a blessing to me in some awkward situations. It's amazing the effect it can have on a audience, you almost automatically can grab their attention, and can be so expressive. To the folks who doubt whether a magic show can work silent, I'd nod my head towards Ballet. I believe my act being silent can touch people in a way that I could not do if I were talking.

It is essential to learn to communicate with an audience through pantomime/ mime or whatever you want to call it.

Also I understand what you mean about get on with it, but the prelude to a trick is often essential. Often methods are being disproved or a story is being told. Remember, magic is part of theatre, not just tricks. Back in the days of the Mascot Moth, an illusion would be set to a short play! And personally, I've always been happy watching dancing girls!

Paul
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Anyone got the Artist dream by paul rohmany. hope I spelt his name right. chaplinmagic.
Sekhmet
View Profile
New user
Nacogdoches, TX
54 Posts

Profile of Sekhmet
In the opinion of a spectator, I think a silent act could only work well if the tricks are self explanatory or they're simply amazing.

There are just so many that require some sort of patter on the downtime, or an explanation of what is/isn't happening. Speaking can be a huge part of the show, and, as someone else suggested, good distraction.

I understand your frustration with all the unnecessary dancing around with Copperfield's performances. It's not a bad thing, but in small doses only, not 5 minutes at a time. I don't like when it's so much that it detracts from the magic.
Don't get me wrong, I love to see beautiful women frolicking around on stage, just not SO MUCH when I'm trying to watch a magic show.

I suggest you put together some routine that requires MINIMAL speaking, but you don't want to completely cut yourself off from your audience.

So yeah, there's my two cents.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
There are effects that go best to music - the zombie ball springs into my mind. As Sekhmet beautifully puts it "a silent act could only work well if the tricks are self explanatory or they're simply amazing". RESET from Paul Harris is such an effect.

Other effects require words to strenghten the impact and the magic. The ACR from Daryl has a phase where he reduces the cards in his hand (from a full deck) to only 3. Is the ACR more difficult to perform? Not at all, but with the right words, Daryl convinces the spectators that the degree of difficulty/impossibility now is even higher.

In summary I can only say that words/patter are only effective if they add to the magic and the presentation. Anything else should be cut away.

Andy
Cards never lie
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
I don't have any experience in the performing silent acts but I love watching silent acts. Look at Jason Byrne's dove act or Jeff McBride's card manipulations. Love em!

Fraser
I want to go far...
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
I agree that silent acts can be great. But you also have to remember the importance of misdirection. While the magician and his assistants are dancing around or whatever, there is most likely something very important happening that the audience cannot see. Without the misdirection, the illusion would not be possible. Other times, the magician just wants to make a bigger production out of the illusion. Instead of having such an expensive effect happen in a matter of seconds, he may include the dramatic music and dancing to draw it out for a couple minutes and have more of an impact on the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Silent routines? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL