The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steve Wyrick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Was Dan Sperry in the show??
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Hmmmm. I've seen the Worlds Greatest magic show about 4 times in the last 16 months. I only thought one show was not as good but overall I give it a thumbs up.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Yeah, Dan Sperry was there, a little strange but not bad. A few of his tricks were hard to see from the audience, might have been better in a parlor setting. I've heard the show varies depending on who is in town at the time.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-04-27 16:13, fxdude wrote:
Yeah, Dan Sperry was there, a little strange but not bad. A few of his tricks were hard to see from the audience, might have been better in a parlor setting. I've heard the show varies depending on who is in town at the time.

I've seen Sperry at both the castle and at WGM. He was fantastic both times. It was mostly doves and a fantastic rendition of SAW or as Sperry Calls it Lifesaver. I didn't have a problem seeing any of his effects. Maybe you need to fork out the dough for better seats next time. LOL

Maybe Sperry isn't your cup of tea but I think he's truly an original in a world of copycat acts and a heck of a performer to boot!

Best,

Tim
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
I've got to take issue with Warlock and BYUDAD for defending Steve Wyrick's show by saying "At least he's working in Vegas." There would be something to it if he was hired by Planet Hollywood and was being paid by Planet Hollywood. He isn't. He is "four-walling" it. He rents the space, and I can't say for sure, but the show is not likely making money. If you have enough money to rent a theater, anybody can be "working in Las Vegas".
"Don't run with those..."
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Quote:
If you have enough money to rent a theater, anybody can be "working in Las Vegas".

Not true. To four wall a theatre or room on the strip, especially a name brand place is just as hard as getting hired on by them. They have their reputation and name at stake. The waiting list to 4 wall in Vegas is long. If they don't like you or think that having you in their showroom is going to help them out, they just move to the next name on the list. Perhaps off the strip, on the outskirts COULD be a different story but I don't know for sure.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Quote:
Maybe you need to fork out the dough for better seats next time. LOL

Haha, actually I think that was one of the reasons that took away from the show for me. I payed extra for the VIP seats which were basically chairs at a table. There were only seats left on the outside edge so they put us in a booth about halfway back.

As for Steve Wyrick (since he is the original topic Smile) I heard that he actually paid for the theatre to be built and actually owns it. Still enjoyed his show though.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
It's "Magic Week" on David Letterman's show, May 5th through the 9th.
Steve Wyrick (Thursday, May 8th).
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I'm sorry.. I was thinking of Rick Thomas. His show HAS closed.. as has Hans Klok.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Indeed - Rick Thomas' show closed some months ago after some union conflict at the venue he was performing in. Hans Klok closed back in December after an extended run.

--Jack Smile
troley
View Profile
New user
Sweden
14 Posts

Profile of troley
Just came from steve wyricks show, fantastic! The show now and five years ago are like day and night! Better then Copperfield, for sure. don't know if that's because we expected the worse, but its a 8/10.

/T
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Nice to hear that! Good thing he improved the show! And I hope that Rick Thomas will perform somewhere else!
Eric
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Steve Wyrick will be on the David Letterman show tonight! (May 8)

Cheers!

** Bill **
estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
Saw the show, was great. Good story line for most. Just as good as Copperfield. And tickets cheaper.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
As good as Copperfield??????
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
Go see the show.
Rainbow1234
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Rainbow1234
Estone is right. Once you see Steve's show you will understand how well produced and thought out it is in every area. Illusions, Choreography, lighting design, soundtracks, ect. It is my opinion that the show David Copperfield performed in the mid to late 90's was the best production I have ever seen. At that time he was untouchable. His show has now morphed into a show that has very little energy and production value. If you compare the Steve Wyrick show today and DC's show today, everyone including lay friends that I have sent to both feel Steve's show is the one to see.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Do you know what Steve presented on Letterman yesterday?
Rainbow1234
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Rainbow1234
Yes, and actually the blades of death is one of my least favorite illusions Steve performs. But as you can see, it is well routined, tight. Well produced.
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
I viewed several elements as ripoffs of Copperfield. When Wyrick said Letterman had to get a permit for the performance and then said, word-for-word from Copperfield's Death Saw, "So if something goes wrong, it's all your fault." The same line was used when Copperfield borrowed a hairpin to pick the locks. Sparks coming from the gadgetry when it "goes wrong" and the blades drop prematurely, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steve Wyrick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL