The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Stealing" a show from a DVD/VHS... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I gotta agree with the view Scorch offered above. The material was offered for your education and as ready made for performing.

Perhaps we could consider the instructional DVD as a script and director's notes for a play and TRY IT AS OFFERED, at le at least till we have enough audience feedback to make sense of the material.

Just my 0.0002 cents in addition to what was posted earlier.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I have to agree with you Jonathan Townsend - you put that very well.

"Perhaps we could consider the instructional DVD as a script and director's notes for a play and TRY IT AS OFFERED."

Very well put indeed thank you very much! As much as anyone I am also looking for answers and have a hard time reading the questions.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
As someone who has never been in the position of having to put together an entire show or act, I don't feel qualified to say a lot here.

Only that this has thus far been one of the more interesting threads I have read here in a while.
I honestly feel a little honored to get to read some of these people's personal thoughts on this.
MXRay
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
Samuel's words seem to have been taken a bit far.

I agree with the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". If you take any published video routine and perform it, there shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't.

Plus, anyone who has performed any card tricks with any degree of sleight of hand will have developed some degree of their own performing 'style', so any "copied" routine will always have some element of the performer in it. It would be much harder to duplicate a routine word for word than to perform the same routine with the same outline and add your own touches, whether subconsciously or not.

Scorch's music (Yo-yo Ma) analogy is quite valid. Almost all classical music performers perform someone else's work, but these works were intended to be performed by others, and were never meant to be kept under wraps by their creator. If a magician wanted to keep a routine solely for his/her own performance, it simply wouldn't be published.

If one does decide to try to copy as much as possible of a DVD routine, I do believe that it is intended to better him/herself as a magic performer. Undoubtedly, that copied performance would evolve into the performer's own style, which will help the person learn to be a better magician in the end. It may not be the standard route, but I don't think there's anything wrong with following in someone's exact footsteps, at least for a while.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Some might wish to consider learning a new routine as offered as an opportunity to examine their own habits and preferences in contrast to the direction offered.

A score contains most of the instructions needed to play a piece as the composer intends. The magic video offers something similar. It can't hurt to at least be mindful of technical and personal choices.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
To continue the music analogy... even though Yo Yo Ma plays Ravel's notes verbatim, it is the interpretation that a soloist or orchestra conductor brings to the piece to make it their own. If an aspiring cellist simply tries to imitate Yo Yo Ma, they will never develop their OWN voice and interpretation. Much the same could be said for magic. You have to find your own voice (read: performance style). Even though you might perform the mechanics of a routine verbatim, you should strive to make it YOUR interpretation rather than just imitating someone else's style. To switch analogies... it's much like the difference between an original masterpeice and a paint by number kit.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I have been told Copycating is the greatest form of flattery!
Of course, some people can not pull it off do to their personality.
What I find even more difficult is there are SO many great effects out there!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-28 22:58, magicbob116 wrote:...To switch analogies... it's much like the difference between an original masterpeice and a paint by number kit.

The instructional video is offered as a paint by numbers kit. Probably best used as intended. There are not so many among us who have the talent, skills and artistic vision to do something special using the materials from a kit. It can be done though. I saw someone take a restuarant placemat intended for children to connect dots and color in... and make something much more interesting.
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
I just want to thank you all for your great responses. It has been very clarifying to hear what you think, and I really agree with most of you.

Mr. Osterlind: Thank you for your kind answer and tips regarding what you do.

To try to sum up:

It's ok to take a show from a Instructional DVD and perform it as ones own show. It's especially good if you are a new performer, as this will in turn give both confidence and experience. You should, eventually, modify the material so that it will fit you as a performer. In turn, this will make you a better magician.
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 09:54, Samuel wrote:
I just want to thank you all for your great responses. It has been very clarifying to hear what you think, and I really agree with most of you.

Mr. Osterlind: Thank you for your kind answer and tips regarding what you do.

To try to sum up:

It's ok to take a show from a Instructional DVD and perform it as ones own show. It's especially good if you are a new performer, as this will in turn give both confidence and experience. You should, eventually, modify the material so that it will fit you as a performer. In turn, this will make you a better magician.

Amen, to that! Smile
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
378 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 09:54, Samuel wrote:
You should, eventually, modify the material so that it will fit you as a performer. In turn, this will make you a better magician.

You not only should modify the material but in my opinion you eventually WILL modify the material. Your personality is too strong. It will eventually leak out.

Take the example of a cover band or one of the Elvis, Beatles, Roy Orbison... imitators. Yes they look and sound LIKE their models but their own personality affects their imitation.

The question of wether you should copy material that is in a published format comes down to two things IMO.

1) Legally: Yes you can because you paid for it. If you don't want your material copied and performed, then legally protect it. Or just don't publish it. Occasionally you will see the trick will say "you are also purchasing rights to perform on TV" etc etc.

2) Presentationally: As you imitate/perform you will develop your own presentation. Eventually all traces of the original lines/blocking/gestures will be different enough that they will no longer be imitations and you will have your own presentation. Unfortunately this mutation may not result in a "better" presentation. You may have to go back to the original. Often I tried to put my own jokes or words into someone elses routine. I would try to combine effects or I would try to add multiple climaxes. More often my results were less than the original. But not always. This is an ongoing process.

Just my $2.00 worth.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The one teaching might not have a right to complain but what about the public, what would the public think of you?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Do you really think they would know? I live in Norway, if I were to perform a piece of Max Maven or Richard Osterlind, who would ever know? Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Perhaps they wouldn't but I am sure a lot there would know the real Lennart Green for example.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here are two other thought provoking questions...

You buy an instructional DVD, and as you're about to start learning, a message comes one the screen telling you that certain rights are not allowed
"Trade Show Rights Reserved".
"TV performances reserved for the creator."

Another issue is a performance only DVD. If you buy a DVD that is performance only is that material protected and off limits?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow Samuel a GREAT thread.. really thought provoking

it is tough because when we were "learning" in the beginning that is( we learn every day hopefully) we ALL had to "copy" somethnig now didn't we? I did for sure!

as far as performance goes at some point we copy ideas, concepts, methods, and things like this all the time with no backlash from anyone. This is accepted in the art as we learn from each other.

then when it comes to the routines, well then it gets sketchy. to learn timing we have to be "taught" things through concepts and routines and HOPEFULLY we will grow and add our own personality. this is the method I certianly used.

Problem is when people never bother to grow. Why fix what ain't broken>? So they keep doing the others material and it is 20 years later and still doing it! Lazy or scared to change.

The other problem comes in when you start doing a coin trick and you "become" David Roth, then you do a card trick and you "become" Darwin, and you do the paper balls over the head and you "become" Slydini. All WORTHY beyond words of being immitated, but none consistant with who you are.

so I am in the middle. If and only IF you procede to becomeing YOU then it is a great thing. If not it is a bad thing.

As far as flattery, well if it is on a DVD then go for it. If you simply see it done it is wrong plain and simple. It is not a compliment to lift a show which is NOT offered for sale. This was NOT asked but it needed to be clarified.

for it would not be a compliment to your taste in women if I came into your bedroom and stole your wife now would it? There is a huge difference between that and the original question, some fail to see it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 13:08, Frank Starsini wrote:
Here are two other thought provoking questions...

You buy an instructional DVD, and as you're about to start learning, a message comes one the screen telling you that certain rights are not allowed
"Trade Show Rights Reserved".
"TV performances reserved for the creator."

Frank, as far as certain performance rights being executed on the material in the DVD, if they did not state that in the ad or on the cover of that DVD for you to see prior to buying it, then that would hold no water. In fact, there are laws against such a thing. Things like this are done all the time, in fact there is a term for this. It's called "Bait and Switch", which is illegal.

But as far as a performance only DVD, that is all you are paying for, to view the performance. In this case, the dvd was never meant to be instructional material; and therefore does not teach any methods on it. But if someone is watching and figures things out, and then goes and uses the material; unless it has been protected under copywright infringement, nothing you can do about it. It would be highly unethical to do this, but make no mistake, it happens all the time. I have ran across MANY clones to say the least!

Another issue is a performance only DVD. If you buy a DVD that is performance only is that material protected and off limits?

"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I am sorry but I do not think that there is any way to protect a performing magicians performing act, show or material. Magicians for many years when they see a magician on the TV - like something. They copy it. That is what happens.

It happened to Don Alan before video tape recorders that made it easy to copy an act or a show. It happened to Jack Gwynne with his stack of bowls routine and that story was written up in the David Carvet Gwynne book.

If the routine is published and the magicians paid for the routine by a purchase agreement for the product that is a different story.

If I remember right when David Roth came through Chicago and Lectured for the Mazda Mystics he was more than a little upset at Frank Garcia and accused him of stealing his portable hole routine. And that routine was the only routine from David Roth’s act that was in the lecture. And if I remember right the only reason it was in the lecture was because David Roth wanted to protect it.

Some magicians seem to want to lay claim to certain magic effects. If you see a magician on TV or at a show, or see something at a web site it may be a different story and not fair play to copy things that are there as entertainment or a demonstration.

There is a thing called fair usage - as well as FAIR PLAY IN MAGIC!

Sometimes learning magic is a choice between what is right and what is easy to get!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Glenn once Tommy Edwards was telling me how someone told him his act bombed last week in Peoria. He stated he wasn't in Peoria last week and the response was "I know I did your act last week in Peoria and it bonbed!". I am not sure if he was serious or simply making a point through humor the way he and Jay used to but it is a funny anticdote!

Glenn both you and I know who Don Alans biggest problem was with for coppying his show and no need to mention names, but Don had a point I think!!

I love this subject
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 13:54, Dannydoyle wrote:
Glenn both you and I know who Don Alans biggest problem was with for coppying his show and no need to mention names, but Don had a point I think!!

I love this subject

I knew Don Alan quite well. I also know his kids.

There was a guy that did his (Don's act and trademark effects) act at a hospitality room for a large corporation the first week and Don was booked the second week. As I heard it from Don - he was more than a little upset by that.

That was before he got upset at Terry Vecky for producing a large nut from a bowl routine. Later Terry and Don became friends. Don Booked me for a short while because I did not do his stuff. I do the chop cup with dice but when I worked for Don I left it at home.

Just like when I worked with Jimmy Cards Molinari last week. I did about 4 card effects. No card shark stuff. Mostly cups and balls - the shell game - chop dice cup. But as far as I saw it Jimmy was the card expert so I just did easy stuff out of respect to the master with the deck!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » "Stealing" a show from a DVD/VHS... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL