The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Children's magic sets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
To my slight embarrassment, my mother, who knows of my interest in magic, gave me for Christmas a children's magic set. (This is after two years of me religiously practising coin sleights). My two children have also been given three magic sets between them, so I now have four products to compare. The difficulty with these sets of course is that the tricks have to be more or less self-working, without giving away any significant trade secrets. I've yet to see a TT in a child's set, for instance. The most recent set, given to my four year old son, does however contains a nicely sneaky mentalism routine with a clever bit of misdirection which would certainly be a fooler if he was old enough to perform it (he still believes in real magic). Has anyone else ever come across anything good in these kids' sets?
Jolyon Jenkins
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Well as for a TT, every set I have ever seen has come with one. In fact my very first magic set when I was 6 came with one. I think I still have it too. There are actually a lot of good things in the magic kits for kids. A lot of the things are just scaled down of what a lot of people use.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I never seen a TT in a kids set and I've given out a few of them. The sets I've given were all for kids 8 and under or so. I've not seen to many TT that would fit a little childs thumb properly. I've seen decent effects like ball vase and penetration frames, plastic okito boxes and stuff. The problem with the kids sets is that the stuff is usually VERY cheaply made. Some of the effects are fine. But not sutiable for adults because of the "toy-like" quality of the props.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
I got a magic set for Christmas too. It came with all the stuff you'd expect, but the set came with a soft TT as well. The TT was actually pretty detailed. Not the best of quality, but more that I would've expected out of a kid's set.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
magicalmeelie
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of magicalmeelie
I got a magic set for beginers for crismas tis very good! been testing it out on family and frends all week
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Magic sets can sometimes be a jumping off for creattivity. More than once I've gotten good patter suggestions from a children's set, or saw a trick that while poorly made, worked well enough for me to "supersize" it and make a quality prop for it.

Sometimes there are hidden gems in kids sets. Small sets of linking rings can inspire you to do a close-up verson. For years my best spongeball routine came from a kids magic set. Somewhere I still have one of those old metal TT's.

Basics such as the paddle move, multiplying billiard balls, etc. all came from initial introduction to magic from these sets. Individual tricks also make great giveaways for kids who help in your regular show.

Then there are collectors who have just about every magic set ever made. MUM magazine did a feature on magic sets and there was the old My Favorite Martian Set, which I once proudly owned and used until even the box was no longer left. Now of course as a collectable it fetches an astronomical price -drat!

Don't be embarassed your mom got you a kids set. She understands your great admiration for magic, it is magic she doesn't understand. The first was an act of love, the second act is certainly forgivable.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
You will find that many of the major sets have very good instructions by promenint magicians. I have adapted many good card routines from very basic pricipals found in kids magic books. Many of the tricks are also written by promenint magicians. And some have TTs. I actually find that many sets go a little overboard. Giving out secrets that you don't want kids to know. Imagine doing a kids show and having one of them know the invisible deck because it was in his magic set. Or swing a ring, or a pen through bill. There are many great things in kids magic sets, perhaps to many.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Here in the UK I've not come across any sets that have much worthwhile, or have any connections with major magicians, and the poor quality of the items is disappointing. Usually a couple of pieces of string, cheap plastic cups and balls, and two plastic rings. Surprisingly, my daughter's set contained a deck of marked cards - although nothing in the instructions reveals that they are marked.
Jolyon Jenkins
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
About three years ago before I really got into magic, I got the Klutz magic thing. It had a thumb tip, as well as instructions on the french drop. It also had a latex trick with a coin that goes through the latex, which I have seen in a few magic shops.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
As we speak, you can walk into any Target store, find the toy section and then the aisle with cards and such, find the disctinct red boxes of Marshall Brodien's magic sets, and at least one of them contains a thumb tip.
Lucasw
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
194 Posts

Profile of Lucasw
I too when I was first starting out got magic kits and yes I think almost everyone came with a TT. Some of the kits do have some thing you could use if you were to change them around abit. I think more magicians should give those kits a chance!

Lucas
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
My wife once gave me a top hat with a false bottom. It didn't quite match my "street magic/every day object" routine. I've also received several penny to dime tricks from friends. I throw in a shuttle pass and even they are fooled.

I sometimes use a bunny paddle with little kids. I do the appearing and disappearing bunny by slapping the paddle in my open hand 3 times. The kids are instructed to say "come bunny come" and "go bunny go". The last time I make the paddle vanish ala the vanishing pencil.

I also have used the color prediction cube, but using timing/misdirection, it looks like I never even look toward the "closed" box.

-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1561 Posts

Profile of teevtee
There is a children's store owne by Crate and Barrell called the Land of Nod. They sell a really nice magic set for beginners. It is all wood and unique little tricks. this is NOT the typical plastic junk but rather a really nicely designed and created set that all fits into a nice wooden box. The overall theme is sort of an egyptian look. It is well worth a look if you ever come across a Land of Nod store.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1561 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Oh, I forgot...

The Amazing Johnathan sells on his web site a pretty cool magic set. It has lots of more adult oriented (but still ok for kids) and is pretty nice. It even has a couple of unique items I have not seen for sale separately. if you need a nice set as a gift or something this is a good start.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1561 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I keep remembering more...

The Discovery Stores sell three different starter sets. A Street Magic set, a Mentalism set and a general magic set. now these are more along the lines of typical kids magic kits but maybe a step up from the toy store stuff... worth looking at if you see a Discoveryu Channel store.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1561 Posts

Profile of teevtee
There is a children's store owne by Crate and Barrell called the Land of Nod. They sell a really nice magic set for beginners. It is all wood and unique little tricks. this is NOT the typical plastic junk but rather a really nicely designed and created set that all fits into a nice wooden box. The overall theme is sort of an egyptian look. It is well worth a look if you ever come across a Land of Nod store.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 17:09, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

I sometimes use a bunny paddle with little kids. I do the appearing and disappearing bunny by slapping the paddle in my open hand 3 times. The kids are instructed to say "come bunny come" and "go bunny go". The last time I make the paddle vanish ala the vanishing pencil.

A little boy I was babysitting had that in a magic set he had. He loved my rendition where I caught the bunnies in the air. First one on only one side. Then two (one on each side). Then I catapulated one back into the air. Then finally the second one into the air.
Some of those sets do have some good stuff. Even if they are sort of cheap, just think creatively and some good stuff could come out of them.
-Michael
jowoodruff
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jowoodruff
I have found a web site that offers a Professional magic set not only for kids but for adults too. and why I say Professional is it has things like pen thru anything million dollar monte and Phsyic Color Sticks and more for only $40 I think the Url is
http://www.comp-licated.org/hawk/store its in their featured magic section. I got one for my daughter and I got to say after I saw the set I bought one for my self.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I was at my local magic shop today and they had three sizes of woden magic sets. The props were wooden and looked desently made. My only complaint was the paint job but even at that it seemed to be a good kit.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
The Egyptian looking wooden magic set is made by a company called Melissa and Doug. There company makes only wooden toy sets.

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Deluxe_Magic_Set_by_Melissa_Doug

pretty good sets over all.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Children's magic sets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL