The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Bla Bla Bla (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Today was a beautiful sunny day in the 50's. The water, the market, the mountains and the quality of the written word on the page and on my computer screen. . . . staggering.

At last weeks session Professor Gizmo gave me Jay Sankey's book "Beyond Secrets" and later in the week Jim Sisti gave me a couple of Richard Osterlind's e-books. I started reading Osterlind's, "The Principles of Magic" today. As with both books, all I can say is wow.

Creating a deeper sense of meaning and enhancing and clarifying the role of magician as we have seen it and created it for ourselves. This journey takes many off road, side trips to the heart of the beast, to peer into a reflective pool of deception and dive in submerging every atom of my being into the beautiful light of illusion where anything is possible and everything might happen. The art of modeling childlike wonder with the wave of a hand and the vanish of a coin.

I read some heavy **** today, and then with these ideas fresh on my mind I went to Pike Place Market to street perform. To create good art, build relationships and communities and look into the hearts and souls of my audiences and tell by the smile on their faces, the sporadic bursts of enthusiasm, and the immediate satisfaction of knowing that today my performances where under the microscope of my own value system.

I was pleased with the inspiration. Thanks to all my friends who fuel the fire and let my love for my art begin to take on new challenges and directions.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
492 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Dude...Totally!

No seriously Tom,

You are one of the real 'workers' on this board and we all need to remind ourselves once in a while that the role we play is more than just a momentary distraction from someone's day.

We have real power: We remind people that the rules they assume about the world do not always apply. And when I say 'the rules' I don't just mean the rules of reality that we break when we create illusions of impossible moments, but also 'rules' that say that you have to have a job you dislike, that you can't get paid to be creative and expressive, that all entertainment must be produced by a major corporation, with commercials, product placement and an underlying message to 'keep doing what your doing - don't make waves - keep shopping!'

In fact, I often think that the most effective and mentally challenging part of any of our performances is just being out there, doing our thing, without any support from some institution - an economic and sociological levitation ( "look ma no strings!").

And you know how I know that this is what freaks people out the most? Because after shows people always come up and they only want to know 2 things - "Is this your real job?" and " How much do you make?"

For years I used to get mad and offended when people asked, but recently I realized something. It's not that they are rude or nosey, it's just that they are truly AMAZED! They see me joking around, having a great time and then at the end all these total strangers come up and gladly hand me their money. Money they had to make by going to JOBS. And they just can't believe their eyes. It's real magic...

And all they really want to know is "How do you do that!" And I always tell them, " Very well, thanks."

Sincerely

Peter Gross
Boston Hysterical Society
http://www.funnymagic.com

PS See Tom now we can both feel embarrassed for philosophizing in public.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I have a question for both of you guys.
What happened to Peter's video on your site, Tom?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Bla Bla Bla (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL