The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What's the name of this effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Hi, Folks!

I'm new in silk magic. Three differet colour silks are placed inside a lucid cylinder. Before they were in the cylinder, they were separate. Then you blow in the cylinder and the silks fly out. And they are linked together!

I saw Aldo perform it in his show. It looks like there is no mirror in the cylinder and pure sleight of hand. What's the name of this effect? Where can I learn?
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
It's called a "Crystal Tube" and costs about $20 (US). Just about any magic dealer will carry it. Hope this helped.
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Right on! I believe there are several different companys that manufacture this effect. If you purchase any of them new the instructions should be included. However, if it is a particular routine that you want to learn, such as Aldo's, then you may also have to look for a book or video source.

Good luck Snowboard!

Regan
Mister Mystery
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Thank you, Jack and Regan.

The Crystal looks easy and has a low price. It suits me, a beginner of silk magic.

By the way, can I buy a book which teaches the crystal tube. At the appearance of it, seems that it can be hand made easily. Anyway, it's convenient to buy one.

Happy New Year!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you are new to Silk magic, you need to get the Rice Encyclopedias. It will give you five lifetimes of silk magic you can make or buy. But it will let you know what is what before deciding what to buy. It will be the best money you ever spent.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Snowboard,
If you have the Tarbell set, Volume 7, the trick is in there. It's really a Pavel effect called Pavel's Blow Knot: "like Tenyo's Crystal Tube: 3 silks blown from tube tie together". Lesson-91-371
Although if you don't have the time or inclination to make one, just buy the trick from a dealer for $20.
Also consider getting the Tarbell set if you don't already have it. There is a wealth of info in there. You'll be surprised by what you find. There is even an early version of a Cardiographic type trick

Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
dark kard
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
142 Posts

Profile of dark kard
The crystal tube is realy easy to do and looks good. It's taught on McBride on Stage vol. 2 (this dvd also has a lot fo good silk magic on it), though you won't need the dvd to learn this trick.
"flying is easy all you have to do is miss the ground" Douglas Adams
<BR>dark kard
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Another version which I thought was very beautiful was Shintaro Fujiyama's, which he taught during his lecture. He used a rolled up newspaper instead of the clear tube - he would unroll the paper at the end (instead of blowing the silks out) and the tied-together silks would cascade out, landing over his outstretched arm. Very elegant. I always wanted to do that version, but haven't got around to it yet.

Ron
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Ron, do you have any idea if Shintaro Fujiyama's version is similar to Pavel's News Knotting? It seems like a similar effect except for the way the knotted silks are displayed.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hey Jimmy:

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Pavel's News Knotting. The Fujiyama version works exactly the same as Crystal Tube except a rolled up paper is used instead of the clear tube.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What's the name of this effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL