The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'm trying to be creative, made a new music video with clips of me busking ... not sure what people will think of it, but I like it. Click the link in my signature, and its the first video at the top of the page. The same page has a bunch of other clips of me also.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
I thought that was great and appreciate your sharing it with us!

I liked your selection of music, too.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
You look like some one that enjoys what they do.
Your the man.
Mario
PS I love the music as well.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Great act, but it looked like the crowds were a little sparse. Was it a slow night?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I don't think you understand the point of the video Mighty Fool, it was never my intention to impress magicians with large crowds and phat hats. I used footage that would highlight what the song was singing about, and delibertly used footage of me alone to do so ... I wanted to express the frustraton that comes with busking, like when I drop the stick and just walk away from it.

Maybe one day I'll do a video to impress magicians, but this one was designed to bring out feelings and emotions ... it starts with me alone juggling the sticks, and ends with me alone juggling the sticks, starring off into the night as lightening flashes (well, actually I am watching the fireworks show but that is beside the point - lol). I had wanted to create the feeling that the crowds you do see are all just a memory, but I just don't have the Greenday editors to make the footage look like an old projector reel. Smile

JoeJoe
DoomPenguin
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DoomPenguin
Cool video! I think it went with the music quite well. Excellent job with it.
A broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I enjoyed it! Thanks.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
Very very nice, thanks too
mattsharpe
View Profile
New user
Paradise, Newfoundland
72 Posts

Profile of mattsharpe
You handle those Devil Sticks well.

Nice video. I liked how you made it almost like a story. You showed yourself alone, slowly more people came, you had a nice tip, then it ended with a few people gathered for some juggling at night.

I've been working on juggling all winter(balls and diabolo) so I can work that into my busking performances this year.

Good luck, and I hope to see more videos from you in the future!
Matt
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I like your use of Bisection. I use it exactly the same way. Glad someone else figured this out and I could see it performed. I still love the fanny pack in the disappearing JoeJoe video!
Magic Tad
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Magic Tad
I really enjoyed your video. Nice Job.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Fantanstic job. This is a nice piece of film making. The song and film fit perfectly.

Tony
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Thank you all for the kind comments, I really didn't know what people would think of the video ... I see it as something "outside the box", and since folk music isn't exactly mainstream I wasn't sure what kind of audience it would have.

Matt: yes, I didn't want it to look like a busker promo video - I wanted something entertaining on its own merit. I viewed it as a piece of art, and only wish I had the editing skills to get the story on video the way I envisioned it in my mind. But overall, I came pretty close.

Mr Bill: you must mean Pocket Sawing? I have bi-section, but not on video ... if you are talking about Pocket Sawing, I have modified my gimmick to actaully wrap around my waist (thus, I can only do it to one side - not both) - if you have pocket sawing you should understand that? The advantage is, it creates a more 3d looking effect that a 2d camera couldn't possibly pickup on, experiment with it. Its a nice effect, but with my bad back I only perform it on special occassions.

I don't use the fanny pack when street performing, as I perfer to fill the hat with money - hehe. But yea, I too like the way the fanny pack plays out - can you believe one of the judges scored me a 2 out of 10 for "orginality"? The mirror box may not be an orginal concept, but I do believe my presentation and the actual workings of mine are. I am not familiar with any other mirror box that works as a "complete vanish". Any other box, you put something in and its gone - there is no "lets open it up and prove it has vanished".

Tony: thank you very much, I have been working with video for some time now, and wanted an easy project to expand my skills. This is my most ambitious video yet. I think I am begining to get a good grip of it, thank you for noticing. Smile

And thanks to everyone else that took the time to watch the video and comment ... I don't get to busk in the winter, but this entire project has given me that rush of presenting new material for the first time - thank you for feeding my addiction to performing, I needed a fix! I am beginning to get a real feel for this medium, and starting to get some new ideas (non-busking stuff). Smile

JoeJoe
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Yes, I mean pocket sawing. Whoops. I have both too and mistitle them sometimes. The way I get away from the wrap around as you say, is by wearing a jacket over to the shirt. The gimmick is a little longer wrapping around half my body. I can do it to either side. And I can let go of the upperside as you did.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Nice video! I would love to see a video of you performing for crowds some day! It would be nice to see you perform. A little suggestion with the Hummer Card, try having it hang a little lower. But that was one sweet video! Thanks for sharing.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Magicman: my orbit move works better with the card higher up, it looks more natural. That is the move where the card flys around the hooped arms several times. My "hover" move also works better higher up, that is where I wave my hand both above and below the card. As I must wave my hand under the card, the card must be high enough to make that look natural, and not contorting my body to get my hand low enough. I'm considering a tutorial video on both of these moves if anyone is interested in exactly how achomplish them.

Besides, being higher up provides better visibility for a deeper crowd ... as in 2 or three rows deep, or at say a comedy club - on stage at a comedy club, nobody past the first row can see anything waist level ... IMHO, props are meant to be held up and displayed.

The disadvantage to being higher up is the IT is shorter, thus it bunches up and breaks sooner - I only get one performance per card.

JoeJoe
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Seems pretty cool. I liked your handling. Keep up the good work.
magicfun4u
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of magicfun4u
JoeJoe,
Are going to Columbia this year?
"Butter Biscuit"
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
I really enjoyed that video. The music was very good too. Thanks for sharing it.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
magicfun: SCAMCON? I want to go ... I've paid my registration ... but there is a chance I won't be able to attend.

JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL