The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Vanishing Bandanna Dilemma (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
Here's a problem I've been having with this routine.

Like many others, I don't use the cassette provided with this effect. I have an adult come up and read printed instructions instead. I have made up a beautiful set of "instructions" that look like legitamate magic instructions and have the instructions and devil's hank inside a USPS Priority Mail envelope (with printed address labels, stamps, and other various USPS stickers on the envelope) so that it looks like it was really something delivered to me in the mail. As per my instructions, the bandanna is to be provided by the performer (otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to have a banana in the envelope because, afterall, it's the magician who is supposed to be misinterpreting the word bandanna, right?).

However, here's the problem. How should I introduce the effect to make sure kids know what a bandanna is if I'm not supposed to know myself??? Any advice on introductory patter would be appreciated.

Scott Kahn, MD
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Scott,

I use the tape provided, but I have never introduced to the kids what a bandanna is. I haven't ever had anyone not get it that I am aware of. Even if some of the kids don't follow, they still will laugh their butts off! I don't think it's worth your worry. My two cents.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I've never liked the idea of using a devils hank to vanish the "Bandanna" as it dilutes the double peril of the original effect of placing the mushed up Banana into a lady's purse. The only time I did this effect was at a SCA event where I placed the messy object to be vanished into a folded Forbidden Stitch Tapestry. you could hear the audience cringe as I placed the destroyed banana into this exquisite piece of embroidery.
I think if I were to do it today I'd make up a Bandanna Devils Hank. I'd take this out as when the instructions told me to show the Bandanna to the audience. I'd give it a funny look and then say "This isn't a Bandanna", rummage around in the box a bit and then pull out the Banana and proclaim "Ah, this is the Bandanna!"
The instructions would then say, after doing the requisite folding and palming gag, to put the Bandanna into a ladies purse, or a kids jacket or any other such personal item. You'd look askance and proclaim "I could never do that" and then decide to put the Bandanna into the piece of cloth that came with the trick.
After the vanish you could then reproduce the Banana from the purse or find it on a kids back or wherever else the "instructions" told you to place it originally.
Just an idea
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Most of the time you don't need to worry about the bandanna issue. The kids just want to see you smush a banana in your hand. Kids are like that.

If you really want to you can do a preceeding effect that employs a bandanna and introduce the kids to the term.

20th century bandannas, Bra trick (don't knock it), glorpy, or anything that you do that can employ a bandanna instead of a silk.

S. Patrick
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I used the CD. So when I bring the CD out of the box, I read the title out loud, and then ask, "Does anyone know what a Bandanna is?" Several kids do know, and this helps the others learn what it is.

When I start the effect, and the CD says to take out the bandanna, I take out the banana, and, with a doubletake, exclaim, "This isn't a bandanna!" I do some byplay with this, and finally get into the effect.

Works for me.

Brian
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
For the first time in history I agree with Payne. The really funny part is that it's happening to a lady's purse! However, it is so impractical to plant a lady with a purse in the audience, that it's rarely done (which is why David Capperfield is who he is.) Besides, who makes such a gimmicked purse?

However, the people still laugh, so I still do it with a hank. Go figure.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
A couple of years back this was discussed in another thread, and I took some of those ideas and incorporated them into the effect. Like Brian, when told to take out the bandana, I just pull out the bananna and say "This isn't a bandana. It's a bannana." Then when told to fold the bandana, I turn toward the speaker and protest loudly "But it's a bannana!" This makes everyone aware that something is amiss. From there the humor is built in (though not guaranteed)

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
I actually bought a yellow bandanna and have it in the package. The first item I pull out is the bandanna and say, "Oh, a hankie. I need that!" and use it to wipe my face.

I then put the "hankie" in my pocket, leaving most of it hanging out, and proceed to get the other items.

After folding the banana and setting it aside, I again use the "hankie" to wipe my hands. I replace the "hankie" in my pocket, leaving it still visible.

After the banana has vanished, as I'm putting the cloth away, the children are quick to point out the the "hankie" IS the bandanna.

I then roll my eyes and say, "Now you tell me!"

They have never failed to notice the bandanna.

Keith
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Hey, my question wasn't rhetorical! Does anyone make those purses? Or, is that routine/presentation proprietary?
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
Starrpower:
No, the purse used by David Copperfield is not a commercial item as far as I know.
--Scott
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The Purse would not be hard to make.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Vanishing Bandanna Dilemma (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL