The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help With Birthday Party Ending! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi Everyone! That's the end of the story. It came in parts because I'm a slow writer, and I had to work at my regular job. I sure learned a lot Saturday. Boy, did I learn a lot. There's another show coming up this Friday, so I'll let you know what happens under the "Performing magic for developmentally disabled" post. Thanks, Marty.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
I know this is a late post, but I had to respond to the earlier post telling Marty to not do the Snake Can routine (Ginn). I've done this routine for ADULTS and it plays! This is another example of HOW you do the routine that counts...
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi Vilago: You're right! I can see that now. As my little story illustrates, you just cannot plan on every effect being right for all audiences. You must bend and twist with the situation, and hopefully, you'll have an extra trick or two in reserve that will pull you through. Marty
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Perhaps your opening effect should be designed to figure out what kind of audience you have...or better yet, create the audience you want.
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
One thing I always find great with that age, (even if I havn't done a single birtday show. But I am only 14 so I am close) Try the raven if you own it. Make a nickel apear in their hand and then turn it into the miny nicle. They will think that is so cool. Be sure to do it in there hand becouse it stuns them:)
Jack Of Hearts!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24052 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I always end my shows with the chair suspension. It keeps all the adults/kids attention.

Abracadabra,

Dynamike
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
For me, there are two rules about effects ending a show:

1. It involves just me
2. It is either a production or vanish...and by production I mean something spectacular, not the production of a single silk for example, but a rabbit or a silk fountain or a huge pile of wrapped candy or...

It's just a lot easier to end by yourself because then you can quickly thank everyone and direct the kids to the cake/presents. Nice and neat.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Marty, you certainly seemed to have a good list of magic to pull from in your above post. I would be curious as to how your vanishing bandana went? Did you get around to pulling this one off? Like Vilago, I too always end up with a production or vanish and just myself on stage with the last trick.

Scott
mystic mickey
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mystic mickey
Quote:
On 2002-11-14 19:32, Marty wrote:
Hi Everyone! I have to do a birthday party for a group of 10-12 year olds, and I’m wondering if my standard magic show for 5-6 year olds will work for the older age group. The ending is especially worrisome to me. I do David Ginn’s Snake Can, in which the birthday child ends up wearing a large pair of sunglasses and brushes his teeth and combs his hair at the same time. The magic happens when a large silk vanishes in a Change Bag, and then reappear in can of candy. The can of course, has three spring snakes in it as well as a large Happy Birthday Silk pinned to the last snake. I like this ending because it finalizes the show as well as ending the trick, but it may not be a good effect for this older group. So, do any of you have a good idea for an alternative ending I can use for this age group? Thanks a lot for any suggestions–Marty
My first major suggestion (I've read your pizza epic): Get a portable PA system. Anchor Audio makes the best and they are on the web. This gives you total crowd control. You must be the loudest thing in the room. I use my PA even for the smallest b-day party.

I also have lecture notes available from my lecture, "Think Like A Kid." I agree with everyone--no snakes. I end my birthday show with a rabbit. I think rabbits are the most important addition a b-day guy can invest in. You can almost double your price and get many more bookings. I am not an animal person, but Maagic, my rabbit is worth his weight in furballs.

B-day magic is my ful time gig. Email me if I can be any help. I also do zombie, but it's my own product--zombie floating light bulb. A custom battery bulb and z gimmick with on/off switch. I try to use real world stuff in my act whenever I can. I even dress my stuff up with computer graphics to look like everyday items. My phantom tube is a Hawaiin Punch can.

Good luck
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
A simple contract makes sure everyone understands the details. I wouldn't have agreed to doing the show in the public seating area of a restaurant.
I realize you didn't either and I am sorry that your first show worked out that way.
I also love my portable sound system. I have an Apollo.

Your next show will be better. Don't try to do too much in one show. The vanishing banana makes a good closer. Tell them there is one more trick but it just came in the mail.
Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The moment I arrived at the resaurant I would have told her that I can't perform a magic show in these conditions. Having the toilets next to you will mean lots of traffic and performing at the end of the table while they're eating is a no no, also. If the resaurant has music playing, I would not attempt it even with PA. If when she phoned she'd said it was going to be in a restaurant, my next question would be, "Is it going to be in a separate room?" If not, I would not have taken the booking.

My contract would have told me where the venue was so

1) I'd have a signiture so she couldn't say I went to the wrong place,

2) If I got there and she was elsewhere having moved the party I'd still get paid.

I may not have the time between shows to try to find her. At best, if I'd arrived to find she'd been moved by the restaurant into the main room, I'd have told her, "Sorry I can't perform a show in here, but I will do a bit of walkabout magic and balloon modeling for the children at the table."

The thing to remember is most bookers don't have a clue on your requirements. If they are booking you as a professional entertainer, you can't do a good job unless the conditions are correct. Therefore, when you arrive at a venue you have to tell them what you want, not allow them to dictate to you where they want you to go. As long as you're polite and explain your reasoning they, don't mind. They want the best show.

Last year I went to social club in Plymouth to entertain the kids with a one hour show one Sunday afternoon. The stage was a platform sticking out of the wall. No curtains and it had 2 pool tables next to it with teenagers playing pool. This would have put them next to/behind me and my box during the show. I politely pointed out that unless the pool tables were put out of bounds during the show, so people were not behind me, I could not do the show on the stage and asked if they had somewhere better. In another room there was a stage with no problems attached. That's where I did the show. I'm back there again next month, so they were not upset, as I explained my reasoning and they understood.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help With Birthday Party Ending! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL