We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marilyn vos Savant's "kits for little psychics" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Did anyone see Marilyn vos Savant's column in Parade magazine this New Year's weekend? Someone wrote in asking why it is that audiences can be entertained by magicians even though they know there's no real magic and they're just being tricked somehow, but at the same time many people actually believe that what "psychics" do is real and not a trick. Vos Savant's answer was interesting: she said that kids' magic kits are common and so people are acquainted with the idea of being tricked by magicians, but there are no "little psychic's kits" containing directions for kids to fool people by THAT kind of trick -- and so, presumably, people grow up uneducated in the techniques of that kind of performer and believe it's real. Comments?
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
People don't always understand you - at times you are extroverted, affable and social, while other times you seem to be introverted and reserved.

One of your strengths is your ability to observe and evaluate others.

You have a tendency to be a loner- you have many aquaintences but only one or two people you could truly confide in.

You don't think you are a genius but you know you are above average intelligence.

You prefer a casual lifestyle.

That'll be $40.00 please
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
$40.00!...That's WAY to cheap...$200.00 bottom line!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Smile MvS had a point, but then the psychics takes themselves too seriously llok silly, and most of the educated world knows it is hooey: the magician is just providing fun... although we should want to always take the art seriously.

I suppose Hogwart's wouldn't be the same if it was a school for psychics... Rowling should write in a billet switching class or something...
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
I think a Psychic Entertainer would be a better promotion to a person wanting to be known as a psychic in their job. Rather than start a phone-in company for fortune telling, they'd be better off performing psychic feats as an entertainment.
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
301 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I'm not sure I concur with Marilyn vos Savant on this one. First of all, plenty of kids (if not at least half by my wild, unsubstantiated conjecture) don't want or receive a magic set. Secondly, consider how our media inundates us with implicit acceptance of psychic phenomena. Just yesterday I happened to notice that Court TV -- which we would hope would stick to facts surrounding legal cases -- ran a marathon of the show Psychic Detectives. Psychic Detectives? Each show heavily bought into what the "psychic" had said about the case at hand. So when people see law enforcement officials on TV thanking the psychics for their help, I suppose viewers' belief systems are either reinforced or partically weakened (depending on the nature of the systems originally).

With James Van Praagh, John Edward, Silvia Brown, the pet psychic, and other mediums/psychics receiving so much media attention and (to some extent) acceptance, I'm not too surprised that some people are willing to believe in ESP, telekinesis, etc. Note that you don't see any magicians using their magic wands to help police find a body near a lake and some woods. But when a psychic does it, wow! Smile

Richard
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I believe we all have psychic potential.

After all, we only use a small percentage of our brain capacity everyday.

What is the other 80% of our brain capable of? Great things.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I know that people can still be confused as to whether there is magic/ESP or not. I also know that most magicians and mentalists are using effects and presentations that connect those people symbolically to a time of magic that they have already figured out. When we start creating what appears to be real again, it will be accepted as real again. If you create something that can't be massed produced for little kid sets, then you don't have to worry about it......I guess that's what psychics have done.....
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 15:00, Roth wrote:
I believe we all have psychic potential.

You're joking, right? Please tell me that was a joke.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I don't know if she's completely wrong, but she's oversimplified the situation.

Some of the principles of mentalism and giving general psychic readings are in books and magazines at the local library. Over the years, I've stumbled across countless articles, or discussions, about this when I wasn't even looking, and many weren't books about magic.

Apparently, many people don't like to read.

I also think a good presenter can sometimes mask ideas people already know about.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Roth wrote:I believe we all have psychic potential.

JL: You're joking, right? Please tell me that was a joke.
If not a joke, it is certainly a science myth that "we" only use a small percentage of our cerebral capacity.

Of course what is collectively false, may still be individually accurate.

Posted: Jan 3, 2006 5:29pm
--------------------------------------------------
Another article similar to the one linked above:
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

"One reason this myth has endured is that it has been adopted by psychics and other paranormal pushers to explain psychic powers. On more than one occasion I've heard psychics tell their audiences, "We only use ten percent of our minds. If scientists don't know what we do with the other ninety percent, it must be used for psychic powers!"
"In Reason To Believe: A Practical Guide to Psychic Phenomena, author Michael Clark mentions a man named Craig Karges. Karges charges a lot of money for his "Intuitive Edge" program, designed to develop natural psychic abilities. Clark quotes Karges as saying: "We normally use only 10 to 20 percent of our minds. Think how different your life would be if you could utilize that other 80 to 90 percent known as the subconscious mind." "

Roth? What say you?
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Even if we do only use 20% of our brains. It does not mean if we unlock the other 80% we could fly and communicate without speaking.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Right. The whole myth is meant to afford the prestige of explicability to charlatans like Geller. It's the same flim flam seen in any quackery like magnets for pain or homeopathy-- a specious commonly accepted urban legend, fallacious extrapolation-- voila: Somebody somewhere gives you money.
------

Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
What makes psychic entertainment an easy sell is the fact most people have had "psychic" experiences in some form or another. They can relate to the possibilities. Some more extreme than others.

Despite Marilyn Vos Savant's views, not everything can be explained away by logic.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
Someone should put out a kit for little psychics. So cute.

Anabelle
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
On 2006-01-03 19:43, Anabelle wrote:
Someone should put out a kit for little psychics. So cute.

Anabelle

I had Kreskin's ESP game in the 60's. Would this count?
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Jim, R-- I still have it.
------

T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I have Dunninger's ESP game.......so there goes that idea......there have already been psychic kits!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Slims always been a wise man, hike the prices!
Doctor Whoston
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
149 Posts

Profile of Doctor Whoston
On the subject of using only 10% of your brain, in the book Bad Medicine (can't remember author's name) there is an argument against this myth: You never hear a doctor say "It's ok, you'll be fine. The bullet's lodged in the 90% of your brain you don't use".

And on the subject of psychic kits, my local discount bookshops are full of kits on how to read runes, hands, tarot cards, entrails of goats...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Marilyn vos Savant's "kits for little psychics" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL