The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT color doesn't matter, they said... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
My TT is SLIGHTLY darker than my skin. Of course, all I ever hear are anecdotes about magicians using black TTs made out of metal with pink pokadots and the audience still doesn't see them. So I go to perform a simple vanishing silk for some friends, and after the trick they are all very suspicious and seem to know exactly what's going on. I'm caught, in other words. They demand to see the false T I'm wearing. Two of them state that the first thing they noticed was that my thumb was a different color.

???!!!!

I think I was performing it correctly. Keeping the thumb pointed toward the audience. Moving my hands quickly, never letting it be visible for long, etc, etc.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
My guess would be maybe you moved your hands to quickly which led them to believe something was up. It's hard to say without seeing your act. I've used a TT for years and never been caught...I think a big part of using a TT is to be natural. Forget you're wearing it, and you'll be even more at ease during your performance.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
The TT is far and away the best magic prop ever invented. I use it all the time(a very dark discolored one) and have only been busted once by someone who was looking for it. If your friends all saw the TT, you were definitely doing something wrong. You might want to try pulling the thumb out with TT and using that hand to openly wave over closed hand. All attention will be on closed hand.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
If you get busted with it, then you aren't using proper technique with it.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Yeah, back to the drawing board man. Study hard, practice relentlessly, and do not rely on fast movement to conceal it. There is some realy good stuff out there on the subject and it seems to me by your writing that you haven't found it yet. Keep up the good work.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
If I see a black person perform with a white TT , the first thing ill see is the white thumb.. IT doesn't matter then that he is performing the routine correctly for 200%.... .U can try a lighter TT HammieSink.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
If you are peforming a TT routine correctly then you wont even flash the TT. Check out Losanders TT work, He has some great tips when it comes to working with one.
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
There are a lot of people that have sometime in their lives seen the TT and thus know about it. I've found that so many magicians have all these theories that they live by and spread on the forums, many are wrong. The thumb tip is widly known, and because of that I rarly use it. I use it for one routine, but it is only out in the open for a second before it is ditched into my pocket. Listen to what other magicians say, but don't let it cloud your mind.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
The TT is strong, but its nonsense that people blame the performer, while they don't even know how good or bad he did it. The TT is a good prop, but also a widely known 1. ANd corey, if I don't even flash the TT I know he is hiding 1 finger. I hate that 2 handed display it feels like youre hiding sumthing. IT can just happen that some1 flashes a move or prop, it isn't always because the eprformer is bad.
stormchaser
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, AB
200 Posts

Profile of stormchaser
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 13:09, Corey Harris wrote:
If you get busted with it, then you aren't using proper technique with it.

Yes. The only time I ever got busted with my TT was when I did it slightly wrong, and they still thought it was just a band-aid.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician.

Don't run when no-one's chasing you.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Michael Ammar performs the $100 bill switch with a red tt
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
You miss my point. WHat I mean is there are people that know the thumb tip
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The TT is flesh tone, is supposed the blend to some degree and allow you can move as free as possible. If it's too dark then some additional methods of concealing it may be necessary.

The soft TTs tend to darken with time and there's not much you can do about it except buy a new one.

The harder ones are somewhat transparent and easier to clean.
I'm not sure this works but one tip I read for lightening this type was to color the inside a light color.

I agree that the TT is widely known and if you do the silk or cigarette vanish there's that chance you'll be caught because that's what many duffers do. Learning to handle it differently and including such vanishes in a routine can thwart discovery too.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Jaz, I couldn't agree more... 100% right
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Those people who use purple tt, how would they do that? "Here are my empty hands" while they kkep the thumb under the hand, then show the other side and bend the thumb back. It would be sooo unatural.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 17:09, themagicman101 wrote:
Those people who use purple tt, how would they do that? "Here are my empty hands" while they kkep the thumb under the hand, then show the other side and bend the thumb back. It would be sooo unatural.

Don't stick your hands in their face!
The last thing you want to do is a gesture that says, "Here are my empty hands". If the routine is done smoothly there will be no need to prove anything.
Yes. Even a red tip can work.
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
'Look at my hands, they are empty, the reason I am showing you that they are empty is because I'm hiding something and therefore trying to prove to you fine folks that there is nothing at all in my hands hidden anywhere. errrrr why are you looking so intently at my hands?'
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Read the book Okito On Magic. He came up with a method that fooled EVERY magician in Chicago.

I won't tip it here, but I'm sure that once you read it, you'll put your finger on the right method, right away!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I at times wear the tt around the house doing chores just to feel what it's like for the tt to be a part of my thumb. So you feel natural with it and if you feel at ease, no one will know your wearing a tt. Also Darwin has some useful tips in Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic (3 DVDs).
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes, I know not to put much attention on your hands. But they will be looking. Not at your thumb, but at your hands. And with a purple tt, they would notice. Whenever I do something with a tt, I only show the tip of the thumb in a natural fasion. But if it where red, or purple, or whatever, they would see that. And if you were going to hide your thumb the whole time, it would look unnatural.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT color doesn't matter, they said... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL