The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT color doesn't matter, they said... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
TTs are basically camouflaged but are not absolutely invisible. They can be seen from the side but head-on they are not so visible but I suggest only a brief glimpse. Certain routines completely conceal the TT.

You might check out Salvano's video explaining his use of TTs.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
I must agree with themagicman101 on this one point. To go out and use a purple TT on purpose is a poor idea, I always use one that is within a couple of shades of my own skin color. However, at one point about 18 years ago, I was doing a cabaret show, doing 2 shows a day. One night when preparing for my routine I noticed my TT had gotten too close to another prop and it turned GREEN! I still did my whole routine even using the green TT. Because I was comfortable with using a TT I was still able to pull off the routine, but I also quickly went out and bought a new one. No reason to tempt fate if you don't have too.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Let me ask this. When you do a coin vanish like a french drop or a vanish of that nature, do you show both your hands? I know I don't. This goes to something I have said before on here. Believe in what you are doing. Believe it is in your hand when you already have it snatched away. Your spectators will look where you are looking. Like I also said. Check out losanders TT work. He fried a group of magicians here in KC a couple years back because of subtlies that he uses.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
You're right. I don't show both hands after a sleight in cups and balls and such. ***it. I should practice this stuff without the gimmicks to start mimicking reality better.

Incidentally, does Losander sell a DVD or something about the TT? I couldn't find anything on his site.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Unfortuneatly. I need to learn to spell..lol. He doesn't have one dedicated to the TT. The dvd I have of his is an impromptu dvd and he does a lot of TT work on it. He is very smooth with it. THings he teaches with it you wouldnt believe is possible until you try it.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I once was talking about TTs with a magician while doing table magic at a restaurant. I told him I would show him some tricks after the talk. One was with a TT and that is the one he asked how I did....????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I canonly make a guess:maybe you performed correctly, but I can imagine that you brought the attention of the spectators towards your thump. Maybe there was a slight irritation in how you looked at your hands, or you moved your thump in a strange way. Using a TT seems easy, but it requires practice.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 20:23, Corey Harris wrote:
Let me ask this. When you do a coin vanish like a french drop or a vanish of that nature, do you show both your hands? I know I don't. This goes to something I have said before on here. Believe in what you are doing. Believe it is in your hand when you already have it snatched away. Your spectators will look where you are looking. Like I also said. Check out losanders TT work. He fried a group of magicians here in KC a couple years back because of subtlies that he uses.

that is comparing apples with Pears. THose are 2 completely different things.
With a french drop I use the sublety Greg WIlson uses in his in action tapes and that works perfect:D
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
Two of them state that the first thing they noticed was that my thumb was a different color.

I am sure you have caught on by now, that your thumb should remain concealed when you have a tip on it. Unless you lucked out and found a perfect colour. But then you'll just learn bad habits with it. I'm speaking from experience. One of my first tips was an exact match to my skin color. I lost it and was never able to get anything near again. And had to unlearn all the habits I formed while using it.

Just remember, thumb tips can be manipulated. They do not have to stay on your thumb. You can transfer them to a finger and employ concealment moves/subtleties (think hank ball manipulation), you can finger palm them, you can do so much with them.

There is more to it than putting one on, stuffing a silk in it, and showing your audience that it has vanished.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I think why some laymen look for a TT is because many people have seen the vanish and/or production of a silk using the TT. I believe it's the hardest trick to get away with because of the knowledge people have about the TT. On the other hand I think most any other effect using a TT is great because people aren't expecting to see salt come out of your hand, or change, or whatever suits you.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Is anyone actually is saying to use a red or purple or chrome TT??
I doubt it!
What is demonstrated by using these off color TTs is that it can be done.

When your TT is too dark or too light then you can still use it.
A little extra care and misdirection will help.
Just don't say, "Hey! Look No TT!"
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
This is what I think. Get a TT fairly close to your thumb color. No need to have it way off when you don't need to.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I never cared for the color. a little misdirection plus I watch my angles and I never had any problems.
TT's are nice but people always tend to rush into using them. and this is why they fail.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Mine is also...my skin is so white and TT is way more darker, but I have never been caughed. You also have to use correct technique Smile
accolombel
View Profile
New user
seattle
82 Posts

Profile of accolombel
It is interesting that the OP was talking about a TT that is too dark. Being African-American myself the problem is TTs that are too light. (which is most of them). I use it in my act and for impromptu(vanished a kleenex and vanish a burning cigerette) and have not been caught. As the others said technique is the key. Also don't go waving your hands like you are signaling the fleet. At first to make myself feel better I dyed it with coffee to get it darker, now I just use it and don't go through fits trying to hide it.
But after all that sometimes you may get caught. Just figure out why and keep going.

Craig
craig colombel
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
I just did a little performance for a birthday get-together at work today. I did the Patrick Page Silk and Bill vanish and absolutely amazed them. I was practically surrounded, too.

I think one of the keys is to be smooth and natural in your movements. Don't do something that will call attention to what you are doing. Perhaps you need to learn a new routine with your TT. One that uses the tip in a different way, perhaps.

I highly recommend Page's Thumbtip dvd. There is something for everyone on that dvd, and he presents them in a way that you can learn the routine. I wouldn't give it up!

Mark
"Go Browns!"
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
David Williamson has a fantastic silk disappearance with a TT and a wand-assisted vanish/ditch. It's a great "I could have SWORN he used a TT" effect that'll leave 'em scratching their heads.

Regards,

-jjg
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
In almost 100% of the cases in which I was 'caught' with my TT I was not in fact caught. What happens is that a lot of folks now KNOW about the TT and simply ACT as if they have caught you! I tested this out in various ways in the 30 years I ran magic shops and have come to the conclusion that I am right in this assertion.

Folks are not stupid and most times would like you to believe that they legitimately busted you. Don't believe it. Don't get into an argument about it, but don't believe it. I have had dozens of friends of color that have used the thumb tips we are all familiar with for years and years without being busted so that has to tell you something.

Also....DON'T mover your hands quickly! Move them NATURALLY! Push the silk into your L.H. and then steal the TT on to you Thumb and then push into the L.H. a couple more times using differing fingers of the R.H. Drop your R.H. in a natural relaxed manner (DO NOT try to turn it away from the audience!) and raise the L.H. while looking at it. Place your attention on the HOT HAND...that's the hand which IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE SILK. The R.H. ceases to exsist in your mind. Go from there.

Rapid movement focuses attention where in fact you don't want it. Relax and don't worry about being busted. If you are worried micro movements in our body will tend to point at the place of paranoia (the gimmick) and not where you need the attention focused: The hand that will open in a moment to show that the silk has in fact vanished. All best,
Brad Burt
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I've got to agree with Corey that Losander's TT work on his "Magic Anytime...Anywhere!" DVD is amazing. It really has me rethinking the TT. He credits Salvano for teaching him the subtleties he uses. I'd love to see Salvano's work too.
johnwolfe
View Profile
New user
gettysburg, PA
48 Posts

Profile of johnwolfe
One thing to work on when using the TT or when palming any object is to keep your wrist loose. Many people feel very self-consious when in that position and one of the tell-tale signs is a stiff wrist or a cramped lookin hand. Relax in your movements.

In the Tarbell Course he talks about naturalness of movement as being key to any successful slieght. Do your vanish without the TT and the silk and look at your hands in the mirror to see how you would act under normal circumstances. When you show the hand empty and point the TT toward the audience, don't make that a separate move, do is as a jesture to punctuate a part of your patter. You don't have to try to "prove" that your hand is empty. Let them draw that conclusion through the naturalness of your movements.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT color doesn't matter, they said... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL